Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with forward Oscar Lindberg

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The glass being needed for physical play argument was shattered the second james sheppard had to sit for him.

He's in for some completely inexplicable reason and it's not because nobody else can bring what he does.

For that matter, look at JT against the Pens. That's how you check and make a difference.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The glass being needed for physical play argument was shattered the second james sheppard had to sit for him.

He's in for some completely inexplicable reason and it's not because nobody else can bring what he does.

For that matter, look at JT against the Pens. That's how you check and make a difference.

Hell, watch two shifts of "small soft Swede" Jesper Fast in the offensive zone. That's "hitting to make a difference" 101.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hell, watch two shifts of "small soft Swede" Jesper Fast in the offensive zone. That's "hitting to make a difference" 101.

Good point. The team has lots of guys that can hit when the time is right.

Even Yandle who is constantly called soft totally wrecked a few people in the playoffs.

And again Sheppard can/could throw his weight around and actually play with the puck, so that argument doesn't hold water with me. Glass' usage is a personal thing for sure, either that av is particularly fond of him for whatever reason or that he feels he's so good in the room that it makes up for how bad he is on the ice.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
How does Lindberg's defensive game compare to Fast at this point in time?

Edit: or compare to Fast when he was brought up last year?

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
I wish to god, that one day I can read a whole threat without Tanner Glass mention. It getting ridiculous.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Not to bring up Girardi by proxy but this was a very under appreciated part of Anton Stralman's game as well. One to the best hip checkers in the league, soft as buns.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I was wondering why an Oscar Lindberg signing thread is already on page 5...

I should've known. Tanner Glass. The inevitable thread multiplier.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Coaches often ask their GM if they can get them a certain player that they like. I can only surmise that that is why the Rangers signed Glass who played for AV in Vancouver. If and/or when AV gets tired of him is probably when Gorton looks to move him.

FWIW AV's Montreal and Vancouver teams always had tough guys and agitators---Corson, Manson, Scott Thornton, Turner Stevenson, Asham and appearances from guys like Vukota, Sylvain Blouin, Odjick, Jim Cummins and David Morrissette (that guy was a real beauty) in his 4 years in Montreal.-----Bieksa, Jeff Cowan, Rick (RIP) Rypien (one of the toughest players pound for pound ever) Shayne O'Brien, Hordichuk, Mike Brown, Glass, Kassian, Wiese, Sestito and other characters such as Matt Cooke, Lapierre, Burrows, Raffi Torres in his 7 years in Vancouver. Those teams weren't all made up of cream puffs.

For the Rangers in his two years it's come down to Dorsett and Carcillo in 13-14 and Glass last year which kind of leads me to conclude that AV's toned down not only the fighting but the physical play as necessary elements for his present team's success--or in other words it could be worse. $1.45 million is not exactly chicken feed--nor is it good bang for the buck IMO but it's not going to break the bank even in a cap world.

Anyway my best guess is that AV is why Tanner Glass is presently employed by the Rangers and FWIW it's hard to argue with AV's success over the past two seasons. And FWIW I've seen a lot of Rangers coaches since 1971-72 and AV might be the best in my lifetime following this team.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Av is a good coach

Tanner Glass sucks ass and shouldn't be playing in any capacity

It's crazy how one is without the other

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Disagreeing with a professional opinion should be intractable.

Confirmed with link: Rangers sign Tanner Glass

"I agree with this"
"What a wonderful contract"
"He's such a good deterrent"

Again, you refute a valid point by critiquing an opinion that was never stated.

Q: I'm displeased with a player. I thought he would bring more to the table, and if he doesn't, we should look for other options.

A: Oh...so we should just trade that player and move the Rangers to Hamilton? Makes sense /smh. I don't get these boards. Excel sheetz!!!!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Good post.

No doubt Glass is probably our worst player but he does bang bodies consistently better than any other forward on the team and he is a decent (not great) option on the PK. The question is could the Rangers find a better 4th line wing option for a smaller cap hit who even if he can't replace the physical play could add other qualities even more useful to the team?---and my answer is probably they could or they should have. Anyway he's not a main reason why we didn't win the Cup last year.

This keeps going in circles.

Let's say the Rangers don't dress Lindberg, and Glass is still in the lineup.

Did the Rangers just insist on principle that Glass should be in the lineup even if a viable player is available?

Is the supposedly viable player not ready for full time duty?

This is where the "AV is an idiot/loves Glass/hates some player" BS creeps in. I'm not a fan of glass, I just refuse tho believe that a professional franchise that is worth nearly a billion dollars is run in such a manner. This team would ship Lundqvist out of town the second he has a long bad period, but they keep Glass for some odd reason.

I just don't buy that.

It's a shame more people here don't see it the way you do. It's easy to understand the presence he brings and why the brass wants that in the lineup.

Great posts, guys.

And agreed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Great posts, guys.

And agreed.

I get a headache reading over and over again that Tanner Glass is the worst player in the league. If posters here would just say he was the worst player on the Rangers that would be enough--leave it at that--going league wide turns the whole statement towards absurdity. It's got to the point that I defend Tanner Glass just to piss them off. To hear their outrage.

*Bob Richards*

The only roll Glass should be filling is a hoagie one when he serves cold cut sandwiches to the team staff after practice.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I get a headache reading over and over again that Tanner Glass is the worst player in the league. If posters here would just say he was the worst player on the Rangers that would be enough--leave it at that--going league wide turns the whole statement towards absurdity. It's got to the point that I defend Tanner Glass just to piss them off. To hear their outrage.

Alright fine.

Tanner Glass is like the 4th worst player in the league.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I honestly don't think there's a worse NHL player than Glass. Boll is on his level, along with Scott.

I'd say Scott is worse than Glass. At least Glass plays something resembling hockey even if he is terrible at it. Scott's just a waste. To me Glass isn't the worst player in the NHL but he is the worst player that gets regular playing time.

And I get where everyone is coming from with their take on managements perspective of it. They do like his "toughness" and "grit" for whatever reason. I think the fact that he could fight, can be physical, is a good locker room guy, and is liked by AV are all reasons why he's on the team and plays. My personal opinion is that they wanted a more tame fighter/enforcer/etc type player after Carcillo blew up in the playoffs and that Dorsett played on the edge at points and would cost the team.

End of the day though, he's terrible at every facet of the game at the NHL level minus fighting which he didn't even do often and isn't important whatsoever. Been discussed over and over but I think that sums up why he's on the team and I completely disagree with their entire line of thinking.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I honestly don't think there's a worse NHL player than Glass. Boll is on his level, along with Scott.

No you gotta give it to John Scott... that's just a straight up goon. I think very little of Glass, but at least he can hit and PK.

If he plays every game like he did in the playoffs, I simply don't think his body will hold up... now I personally hope he's traded.. especially if it facilitates a Stepan deal... or scratch that... plain old traded... but if he's going all out then it's doing two things.

1. He's playing his role well. Which I can deal with... let him run a top defenseman early in the game.. dish out some punishment.

2. He'll probably be in and out of the line up, allowing a better player to play.

Win/Win.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
On topic:

It will be now or never as a Ranger for Oscar Lindberg during training camp, with the 23-year-old center who on Tuesday signed a two-year deal worth $650,000 per, needing to clear waivers (which he all but certainly wouldn’t) in order to remain in the organization if he can’t crack the varsity.

An offense-minded pure center, Lindberg would seem to have two shots to crack the roster — either in the middle of the third line while Kevin Hayes shifts to the wing or as the 13th forward. The Swede doesn’t appear to have the checking game, faceoff prowess or penalty-killing ability to replace Dominic Moore as the Blueshirts’ fourth-line center.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/14/oscar-lindberg-gets-1-3m-and-one-last-chance-to-make-rangers/

I guess Brooksie thinks Tanner's playing every game? Because 4th line LW seems like the most logical spot for him and he skips over it. Not like the Rangers haven't played a center on Dom's wing before.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
lol it's not "easy to understand" the presence Glass brings since he's barely even a ****ing tough guy. I can count his notable hard hits on one hand and, IIRC, he hasn't won a single fight he's had while wearing the sweater. He's just a bad NHL player who serves the purpose of handicapping our 4th line (even though i'm sure he's tons of fun in the locker room!)

Hopefully Glass takes Lindberg's spot in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad