Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I know.

From Twitter:

Matthews with Marleau: 48.22%CF
Matthews w/o Marleau: 59.65%CF
Marleau w/o Matthews: 43.55%CF

Marleau has had a pretty bad season so far and definitely drags Matthews down. I’d rather have Hyman on his line.

Matthews Hyman and Nylander were beastly on ES last year.

Presuming Hyman is staying where he is I think Kapanen is probably as close as your going to get on this team right now as far as a Hyman type replacement goes

He's got speed, can forecheck and has some skill
He'd be my first choice, Johnsson 2nd and Marleau a distant 3rd

Reactions: saffronleaf

member 300185

I dont get the Marleau hate on here. Here is a fact folks, he is a slow starter, always has been. After Christmas he will turn it on. He is older and older guys tend to do that, and he is still on pace for over 20 goals.

Also, forget about getting rid of Marleau in the off season. He WILL play his 3rd year. He said he wants to play until he can't anymore. If anything, I see him going back to San Jose for his swan song.

Reactions: LeafChief

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
does not hurt my feelings, I honestly think Goat is not a NHL caliber player.

you know considering he just recovered from a major injury came back ahead of schedule and made the team out of camp is pretty impressive non the less most had him as a cast off in the summer to begin with. I will say this tho. he needs to improve his stride he has trouble getting those first few strides to gain steam. but we have the coaches for that, also he needs to realize he is a monster so he should at least get a bit of snarl in his game. I think if he improves on those 2 things he will be able to still carve out a decent career as a 4th line center. I do like having a option to slide him in if someone does get injured.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
you know considering he just recovered from a major injury came back ahead of schedule and made the team out of camp is pretty impressive non the less most had him as a cast off in the summer to begin with. I will say this tho. he needs to improve his stride he has trouble getting those first few strides to gain steam. but we have the coaches for that, also he needs to realize he is a monster so he should at least get a bit of snarl in his game. I think if he improves on those 2 things he will be able to still carve out a decent career as a 4th line center. I do like having a option to slide him in if someone does get injured.
your talking about improving, every player is better after improving, but he is currently not a nhl caliber player, he looked awful again last night..., he is slow to every puck, not sure why people think he is any good, I do not see it, he is chasing the game all night, he is big he does not hit, he is to slow to forecheck with any bit of success. he gets worked over by guys half his size, he is soft.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Expecting a pretty poor performance from him for a few games.

im kinda expecting him to do the opposite. I think he may just hit the ground running and show everyone real quick why we were so excited when we first drafted him. before he became engulfed in the shadows of the rest of the big 3. if he does its nothing but great news for us. if I want anything out of him its for him to start Shooting more. guy has a wicked shot but I do wish he wouldn't just go for the corners. he has the ability to beat a goalie where ever he decides to shoot. But he always went corner and half the time at least it went flying over or by the net.

looking at his face it does look like he gained a bit of wait but that could also be a illusion from the baby Viking beard he's trying to grow

Mar 26, 2010
Right on! Willy is back, been looking forward all season for his return.

This may really motivate Matthews having his #1 wingman back as Well!

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Contract opinions aside, I'm glad his back and looking forward to having him in our lineup. His a big part of our team, even if we had success without him.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
62FD1E64-4C2E-4BE0-A6A5-10D56A554B20.jpeg

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I remember, last year, when there was a strong urge to play Marleau with Matthews and bump Hyman down. Funny how it doesn't take long to want to rid Matthews' of Marleau. I've never seen much chemistry between the two.

That being said having Nylander on that line should make a big difference and perhaps Marleau will gel better. Time will tell.

So long as Kap or Johnsson don't get relegated to the 4th line I'll be happy.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I remember, last year, when there was a strong urge to play Marleau with Matthews and bump Hyman down. Funny how it doesn't take long to want to rid Matthews' of Marleau. I've never seen much chemistry between the two.

That being said having Nylander on that line should make a big difference and perhaps Marleau will gel better. Time will tell.

If I'm not mistaken a good amount of people (or at least me) wanted to see Kapanen in Hyman's spot last year. This year Kapanen has proven he's a much better fit with Matthews than Hyman was.

Kappy has played LW throughout his career so put him with Matthews and Nylander, Move Marlaeu down and things are good.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015

Isn’t it funny? Lots hated Hyman before, now all those people want him back on the first line over Marleau. Looks like the coach and coaching staff actually know what they’re doing.:laugh:

Reactions: Buds17

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
What Babs Should Do

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Johnsson
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

What Babs Will Do

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Ennis - Lindholm - Johnsson

What Babs will actually do

Marleau- Matthews- Kapanen
Hyman- Tavares-Marner
Johnsson- Kadri- Brown
Ennis - Lindholm - Nylander

Reactions: NiftyMits

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Its gotta be this line up; if I see Brown in the top 9 then I don't even......

:shakehead

Kappy to the 4th line.

Polak on Babcock - "He wants everyone to play the same... if you're more of a skill guy, you could have problems with him"

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Possible adjustment period for Nylander aside, it'll be good to ice the intended roster. Hopefully it gets a good run.

Reactions: authentic

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Kappy to the 4th line.

Polak on Babcock - "He wants everyone to play the same... if you're more of a skill guy, you could have problems with him"

You know what he was saying, Babs expects the skilled guys to give max effort just like the grinders do.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Makes sense I took dubas quote earlier as. He won't play Tuesday 100%, Thursday is 50/50 and sat is 100% will play. Glad he's in the lineup one game earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad