Pre-Game Talk: OFFICIAL: Nylander will make season debut vs. Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I’m curious... does Nylander doing really well drive down Marner/Matthews’ contracts? Like if Nylander goes PPG+, or more specifically has a better G/60 and P/60 than Matthews/Marner does that lessen what they get?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I’m curious... does Nylander doing really well drive down Marner/Matthews’ contracts? Like if Nylander goes PPG+, or more specifically has a better G/60 and P/60 than Matthews/Marner does that lessen what they get?

It could, also may depend on who settles first, including other RFAs due around the league.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If I'm not mistaken a good amount of people (or at least me) wanted to see Kapanen in Hyman's spot last year. This year Kapanen has proven he's a much better fit with Matthews than Hyman was.

Kappy has played LW throughout his career so put him with Matthews and Nylander, Move Marlaeu down and things are good.

It was a mixed bag. Some wanted Kappy, others wanted Marleau, and some even suggested JVR.

But really Marleau's only been on Matthews' wing for a short amount of time, and hasn't played with both Matthews and Nylander. I'm not a fan of the chemistry between the two currently but I'm willing to give that line a shot. Also worth noting that Marleau struggled a lot to start the season, partially because Ennis was a drag, but he has picked his play up to a decent level.

I think Nylander's possession game not only helps Matthews' out but it could also help Marleau in the cycle game.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Marner is the only one of the three who can play a full season. Nylander and Marner are more playmaker than goal scorer, Matthews should be even or tilted towards goal scorer. Nylander and Matthews probably figure to be linemates again more often than not. We'll have to see which PP unit Nylander figures into and if there's any overlap there. To answer the question, probably not. There are plenty of variables to consider though.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
What Babs Should Do

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Johnsson
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

What Babs Will Do

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Ennis - Lindholm - Johnsson
Eh, in theory Ya, but kadri has struggled a lot this year. You really think a line of all left shots would be better than just having johnsson or marleau with Matthews and let kap try and help kadri out?

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Eh, in theory Ya, but kadri has struggled a lot this year. You really think a line of all left shots would be better than just having johnsson or marleau with Matthews and let kap try and help kadri out?

Load up top two lines and see what they can do.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Leafs are a little off balance in their play until they adjust to Nylander’s return. There is bound to be an adjustment period, IMO. long term, Nylander’s return is nothing but a benefit.

Reactions: saffronleaf and BTP

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Guess I'm old enough to remember when being a fan wasn't all about "evaluating."

The entire point of this board is to discuss and dissect hockey. It would be boring if everything was just a series of yeah's and woo's.

I think even the most casual of fans would agree that he's been a pretty big non-factor this year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He can look all he wants from the bench.

We need the 2 points and we're not on the 2nd game of back to backs.

Hmmm. One Goalie has a 80% winning rate, the other has a 68% winning rate. Who to choose?

Reactions: Al14

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We're not worried about the Andy workload yet? Maybe in March or April?
Well only worry about Andy's workload after we out of the playoffs...again.

Mcelhinney clearly showing he was capable of playing more games these past two years.

It was a miss that Babcock didn't play Mcelhinney more last year.

Last edited:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The entire point of this board is to discuss and dissect hockey. It would be boring if everything was just a series of yeah's and woo's.

I think even the most casual of fans would agree that he's been a pretty big non-factor this year.

Fair enough. Don't mean to slag on you. Just bugs me how a large chunk of the fanbase loves to pick one or two guys to crap on all year. I don't like it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If history is any indication, Babs will start with this:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
How far into the game do we get before people start with the "overpaid" "trade him for a top 4 D before his value drops" "drop him to the 4th line" "even Brown would look better next to Matthews", if Nylander has a slow start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad