Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I was really pulling for him to get the EN, might have been just the thing he needed. But he was a huge part of why we won regardless.
So many intangibles. Might as well just call him Jonathan.

The 11.6M dollar non scoring intangible. INB4 "You don't know what to look for"

• Wow
Reactions: stampedingviking

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Few thoughts... coaches never lie about players injuries... see Draisaitl.

Thought he played much better, moved better but still not 100%. Did a lot of little things.

God was Hogs bad... it really show how much he needs a winger on games like today. I don't think you can watch last nights game and not think man did this guy need some wingers.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
1715268072791.png

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pettersson did better away from the puck, but he just has to produce.

Lindholm and Miller are carrying him. That can't be his legacy in these playoffs.
I thought he looked a lot better. More assertive, trying to make plays, smart defensively as is typical. He's not 100%, though no one really is in the playoffs.

Yeah, he has to produce though. We know this.

But it's probably not going to happen with Stone Hands and Hoglander. Hogs could have sent Petey in on a breakaway last night and just...didn't pass it. His legacy for this round and beyond might just have to be Play Smart Hockey and hope the other lines win their matchups.

Few thoughts... coaches never lie about players injuries... see Draisaitl.

Thought he played much better, moved better but still not 100%. Did a lot of little things.

God was Hogs bad... it really show how much he needs a winger on games like today. I don't think you can watch last nights game and not think man did this guy need some wingers.
Yes. Again, why I said they needed to trade a for a winger at the deadline.

He's not ever going to receive the puck in a scoring chance from his current wingers. And if he gives his wingers the puck, they're not going to score anyway. Hard to get points that way.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He's not ever going to receive the puck in a scoring chance from his current wingers. And if he gives his wingers the puck, they're not going to score anyway. Hard to get points that way.
This.

I think at the point we should swap Hog for Pod. POD will most likely not score but at least he can cycle, hit and get the puck back to Petey and crash the net.

Reactions: supercanuck

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So many intangibles. Might as well just call him Jonathan.

The 11.6M dollar non scoring intangible. INB4 "You don't know what to look for"
He’s 11.6M player and is playing with two of most complicated wingers this team has. He plays 1 shift, 1, with Suter and Boeser and his amazing board battling and work downlow got him an assist on the series clinching goal against the Preds.
He absolutely can make his linemates better, but he can only do so if his other linemates are willing to pull their own weight. I’m not even going to go in depth with Mikheyev, he’s just his own thing, does his own thing whatever the f*** of the time.

Hoglander is super one and done with the puck. He is a step behind in processing the game which was clearly shown yesterday and highlighted by Simpson. He can’t handle the puck, he has poor vision, poor decision making, and can’t play a cycle game as he gets flushed out by guys who are only 2 inches taller than him. He’s a third line checking forward playing with a top line center. McDavid had 0 shots yesterday and was a ghost playing with Janmark and Holloway at times. You can’t just put “scrubs” with these guys and be like “yeah he needs to elevate them tho” it just doesn’t work like that. Pettersson can and has shown he can elevate his linemates if they’re capable of holding their own and not in over their heads. It certainly doesn’t help Petey himself has struggled, but it’s far more exacerbated playing with Mikheyev and Hoglander, guys like him who struggle still tend to put up points.

These playoffs have all been about balance. Pettersson has less than desirable linemates and that’s just the sacrifice that’s likely going to happen. Take away the points, Pettersson is still one of this teams best defensive forwards and has been a rock down the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Hi Hodgy,
Thanks for asking so nicely.

You're right. I should lay off people for being wrong. This is a discussion forum and I shouldn't argue so much. I'm pretty thick skinned and abrasive so I often forget that people need the "kids glove" approach to things.

To make this discussion more inclusive to sensitive members I will post about him in this thread less.
It's ok - if you have an unpopular opinion, it tends to be frowned upon.

I tried to defend JTM last year when everyone was ready to trade him for a 7th round pick.

The fact is you're right. People really need to stop treating this guy like a little baby. He's supposed to be number one franchise center and best forward/player on the team and just signed a near 100M extension.

The injury excuses are hilarious. We're really going to keep going on about these imaginary injuries when he played all 82 games in the season? Dude has been bad since the all-star break. 3 assist in 7 games is completely unacceptable for Petey - he's lucky that the entire team is playing at a high level and carrying his ass.

He hasn't passed the eye test so far, he's maybe had 2 or 3 good games out of 7. This is again, completely unacceptable in the playoffs when you're expected to be the best player on the team.

The linemate thing is another ridiculous comment. This guy is going to be paid 11.6M dollars next year. If you can't elevate your linemates making 11.6M then you should probably refund that contract. This guy is supposed to be a stone faced killer with ice in his veins. He was amazing in the bubble playoffs in his sophmore year... where the hell is that guy right now?

Dude talked a big talk about only wanting to play with a contending team and held this team hostage for most of the year unwilling to negotiate. They finally gave him a massive contract and he has played like crap the moment the ink dried on his contract. If you're going to do all that you better perform.

Reactions: B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hi Hodgy,
Thanks for asking so nicely.

You're right. I should lay off people for being wrong. This is a discussion forum and I shouldn't argue so much. I'm pretty thick skinned and abrasive so I often forget that people need the "kids glove" approach to things.

To make this discussion more inclusive to sensitive members I will post about him in this thread less.
Aawww.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don’t know about you guys, but the only reason I frequent this site is for the incessant chest thumping, self congratulatory posts and ad nauseam complaints about star players underperforming when everyone is already aware of the issues. These posts are particularly great when the team is succeeding in the playoffs. This has undoubtedly raised the level of discourse here and I now expect better from everyone else.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It's ok - if you have an unpopular opinion, it tends to be frowned upon.

I tried to defend JTM last year when everyone was ready to trade him for a 7th round pick.

The fact is you're right. People really need to stop treating this guy like a little baby. He's supposed to be number one franchise center and best forward/player on the team and just signed a near 100M extension.

The injury excuses are hilarious. We're really going to keep going on about these imaginary injuries when he played all 82 games in the season? Dude has been bad since the all-star break. 3 assist in 7 games is completely unacceptable for Petey - he's lucky that the entire team is playing at a high level and carrying his ass.

He hasn't passed the eye test so far, he's maybe had 2 or 3 good games out of 7. This is again, completely unacceptable in the playoffs when you're expected to be the best player on the team.

The linemate thing is another ridiculous comment. This guy is going to be paid 11.6M dollars next year. If you can't elevate your linemates making 11.6M then you should probably refund that contract. This guy is supposed to be a stone faced killer with ice in his veins. He was amazing in the bubble playoffs in his sophmore year... where the hell is that guy right now?

Dude talked a big talk about only wanting to play with a contending team and held this team hostage for most of the year unwilling to negotiate. They finally gave him a massive contract and he has played like crap the moment the ink dried on his contract. If you're going to do all that you better perform.
The issue isn't that an opinion is unpopular, the issue is that people don't want to hear someone yell the same thing at them day after day after day.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The issue isn't that an opinion is unpopular, the issue is that people don't want to hear someone yell the same thing at them day after day after day.
you mean every single post. win game -> complain about Petey, lose game -> complain about Petey, off day -> coomplain about Petey.

I think all of us know at this point @Bobby9 is just a troll and not a Canucks fan. Mocking Canucks fan on the main boards for the convo around Sutherland is not something any Canucks fan would do.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
you mean every single post. win game -> complain about Petey, lose game -> complain about Petey, off day -> coomplain about Petey.

I think all of us know at this point @Bobby9 is just a troll and not a Canucks fan. Mocking Canucks fan on the main boards for the convo around Sutherland is not something any Canucks fan would do.
Some people are just contrarians to get attention, presumably because their real lives are lacking. We saw 5 years of it with PoM.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Some people are just contrarians to get attention, presumably because their real lives are lacking. We saw 5 years of it with PoM.
agree with the first part. PoM just has an irrational love of Benning, I mean, the guy is charming, and I mean, loquacious, I mean, loves the franchise and Aqua. He's fine.

Petey is playing better, hes clearly noticeable now. he is doing what he can defensively, he just needs to get stronger every year. Thats why its an 8 year deal, this is not a finished product and he's already broke 100 and nominated for awards.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I said that I thought Petey was going to have a good series in Round 2.

Through the first two games, he's looked much better. More assertive, shooting more (!) and creating a lot of chances. He would have several points were it not for his linemates' inability to do anything in the OZ and his stick not breaking on the 2nd cross-seam one-timer last night.

Calling a goal tonight for EP.

Now's the time.
Excellent call.

Reactions: arttk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad