HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
A lateral move in the top 6 is one we have yet to make under Bergevin, so why is this such a big deal now considering we've been making them in our bottom 6 for 6 years now.

I think a lateral move in our top 6 is what this organization needs the most. A top 6 winger for a top 6 center? Yes please.

It’s a big deal now because our team is in the worst shape it’s been since Bergevin took over and it’s not one or two pieces away from being good like it used too. A lot has changed. There was always holes but it’s beyond damaged at this point. What they need to do is put away the duct tape and start trying to rebuild this thing because it’s a skeleton as of today. We have a good goalie and a number 1 defenceman but if they’re hurt or not playing up to expectations like this season, you finish at the bottom of the league. Look no further then this past season as evidence.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He hasn't been great.. he's been passable and he's definitely not a 2-1 C, at least not in a legitimate team. I don't get fans obsessions with just wanting to be in the mix of the mediocre. Don't you want to win a cup? Stastny/RNH does not get you there. Better than bad is still not good enough.

I think with the 5 draft picks in the first 60 picks we have this year, and with last year's good picks too, we need to put ourselves in a position where we're contending asap with Price and Weber aging. And we shouldn't wait for the picks we made this year and last year to contend but add them to our core as we're contending kind of like how Chicago and Pittsburgh did it (I know, they had Crosby/Malkin and Kane).

Reactions: yianik

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think with the 5 draft picks in the first 60 picks we have this year, and with last year's good picks too, we need to put ourselves in a position where we're contending asap with Price and Weber aging. And we shouldn't wait for the picks we made this year and last year to contend but add them to our core as we're contending kind of like how Chicago and Pittsburgh did it (I know, they had Crosby/Malkin and Kane).
If we havent won with Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov and so on in their prime, we are not going to win anything with Weber and Price now with them in their 30's. The team collaspe when Price goes down, but a team like Pittsburgh keeps winning even in the playoffs when Crosby or Malkin are out of the lineup. We have a shitty team that needs ti be blown up and rebuild. There is no winning the cup for many years, may as well do the right thing now.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
We must finish bottom of the league next year or it's all for naught... even this zadina pick needs help down the middle! The tank must go on I will lose my mind if he signs stasny and we finish like 9th or 10th in the east or worst make the playoffs and get destroyed in the 1st round

Last edited:
Reactions: NoQuinn

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
We must finish bottom of the league next year or it's all for naught... even this zadina pick needs help down the middle! The tank must go on I will lose my mind if he signs stasny and we finish like 9th or 10th in the east or worst make the playoffs and get destroyed in the 1st round
9th or 10th got the canes the 2nd overall pick...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's actually crazy how stacked our wings are but how little depth we have down the middle. I bet we make a run for Tavares AND Stastny this summer, because you can't have such a weak centre position with the wings we have after the draft (assuming we take Zadina and don't trade Patches):

Patches - xxx - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Drouin - Zadina
Scherbak - Danault - Lehkonen
Byron - xxx - Hudon

and of course, even with that, ideally we move Pacioretty for a LHD, shift Drouin back to wing if we have some legit Cs to fill the void.

I still think it benefits us the most to get rid of Shaw and Alzner and free ourselves of that cap. Shaw is one concussion away from retirement via LTIR and Alzner is just useless aside from tanking purposes.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
RNH can't do much behind a cast of Draisatl and McDavid.. as the primary, or even secondary guy behind an older Stastny who was never a fleet skater in the first place, he's not going to be any more effective.

We have cap space, sure, but this team is so weak down the middle, with or without RNH/Stastny.. and on the back end, that this team just doesn't have what it takes to be anything but a pretender for a wild card spot. There's no easy fix for this squad other than the complete blow up and hope to hit on the bevvy of high picks we get from doing so.
All true but this team will never commit to a rebuild so we have to think of a Plan B,

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Plan A should be to sign Tavares trade for OEL....Plan B tear it down and rebuild but the gutless clown and fan boy owner will choose plan C bring in 2nd rate and 3rd rate free agents and players in trades.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
realistically, i see it looking something like this come september

Pacioretty - Statsny - Zadina/Scherbak
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Shaw - Hudon
Deslaurier - Froese - Byron
JDR/McCarron/Rychel

McNabb - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Juulsen/Mete
Schlemko

Price
Lingren

Statsny gets overpaid on a 3-5 year deal
Galch gets traded to Vegas for McNabb + pick/prospect (a bad deal, but exactly the kind of swap i'm expecting when MB moves Galch)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Seems like Rick Dudley will leave to join the Hurricanes organization. While we don't know what specific decisions Dudley suggested to Marc, we all said that changes need to be made.

I predict Mellanby will take Dudley's spot as Vice President of Hockey Ops, and someone else will come into the fold to take Mellanby's spot as Assistant GM.

With Fletcher, Francis, and Joe Nieuwendyk (a pro scout in Carolina who resigned yesterday) all available, I'd approach all three to bring them into the fold.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Seems like Rick Dudley will leave to join the Hurricanes organization. While we don't know what specific decisions Dudley suggested to Marc, we all said that changes need to be made.

I predict Mellanby will take Dudley's spot as Vice President of Hockey Ops, and someone else will come into the fold to take Mellanby's spot as Assistant GM.

With Fletcher, Francis, and Joe Nieuwendyk (a pro scout in Carolina who resigned yesterday) all available, I'd approach all three to bring them into the fold.

The only thing out of Carolina I would be interested in, is some of their scouts. They've done a good job at the draft table lately. Their pro scouting has not been good.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Personnaly, I would replace Dudley by Fletcher, Mellanby by Francis and Carriere by Bouchard

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
realistically, i see it looking something like this come september

Pacioretty - Statsny - Zadina/Scherbak
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Shaw - Hudon
Deslaurier - Froese - Byron
JDR/McCarron/Rychel

McNabb - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Juulsen/Mete
Schlemko

Price
Lingren

Statsny gets overpaid on a 3-5 year deal
Galch gets traded to Vegas for McNabb + pick/prospect (a bad deal, but exactly the kind of swap i'm expecting when MB moves Galch)
If we swap Galchenyuk for that, I'm done.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do we know for sure, the cap will be 80M or possibly higher?

Bettman presented a $5M +/- increase in a league meeting with team GM's back a few months ago. It was calculated based on projected revenue around the half way point. The average increase over the last 4 years is was $2M per year. Add revenue from Vegas and inflation and that's why it's rumored to be at $80M next year. Depends on what % of escrow the players agree to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad