HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Even if he refused Borgstrom, a 1st, lower prospect or draft pick? That is another rumour i heard, one Bergevin should of jumped on, if true.

I remember hearing that Borgstrom was an untouchable. Tallon and Florida are very high on him. If there is any prospect in Panthers' prospect pool I'd target is Heponiemi, seeing as how Borgstrom is off limits.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Arpon Basu wrote an interesting article on The Athletic the other day. He wrote about Habs going all in for Tavares. But if they fail in luring him to sign with Montreal, Basu's Plan B would be to be patient, not to feel forced to use the cap space and overpay for someone else just because you look for a quick fix. He said that fans may not be thrilled with unused cap space again for another year, but it might be better to hold off on it if JT signs elswhere, because next year's UFA class is a lot better (even if a number of them sign with their current team).

He also wrote about a few things that can help the team be better next year even if they're the same line-up. He starts with Price going back to what he has been the last few seasons. He calculates that if Price posted a .920SV%, it would equate to allowing 29 less goals in his 49 games. He also says if he posted a .930SV% (which is elite goaltending Price has provided around the last few seasons), it would equate to 44 fewer goals against. So even with Tavares signed, Price playing like he did this past season doesn't make the Habs better. So it all starts with Carey getting back to form.

He also mentioned Weber being healthy enough to play a full season should also help the team be better can help Price, as well.

As for the defense, he says that IF Alzner has a better Year 2 and that Schlemko can start healthy, the Habs' blue line improves.

He also writes about a lot of the youth they have in the line-up, particularly up front, not rushing to sign someone if they fail with JT, could give them a chance to either progress some more or allow the organization to properly evaluate the kids. He also mentioned that the organization will have another year to see what they have in Poehling, Brook, Ikonen, and Fleury, among others.

He mentions that this year's draft will help deepen the prospect pool. And he also says that the more they wait on trading Pacioretty, the less chances they have in acquiring an NHL player. He says that them trading for picks and prospects could be a good thing as it will further help deepen the prospect pool.

He finishes it off by saying that best case, Price is better, Weber is healthy, Alzner and Schlemko improve, a bunch of the young kids break out, and the team is in a better position. Worst case, they have a similar season of struggles and they get back into the lottery with the chance to get in on Jack Hughes. And at the same time, they can trade some other vets like Shaw, Benn, and Schlemko, who can help them get a few more picks for next year's draft.

So for Basu:
Plan A: John Tavares
Plan B: Patience

Reactions: MasterDecoy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not sure how can anyone expect Alzner to have a better year, he's slow and has zero offense so how is he going to get better?

Hopefully Weber isn't impacted by the foot injury, that one is huge as a good year from him would up his trade value for when MB is fired and the team finally admits it's boned and starts selling off assets.

It just seems like a joke to me that JT would consider signing here. Several teams will be able to pay him at least close to what we can if not the same. Why would you leave NYI only to join a team that if not for the Sens/Sabers/Wings would easily have been the worst team in the league.

I don't mind having cap space, would much prefer that to MB signing another Alzner/Shaw/Drouin type of contract.

Of course the main thing is Price. I expect him to be better but how much? He needs to be that sub 2 gaa goalie instead of the plus 3 gaa goalie but even at 2.5 that's not going to be good enough imo.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Arpon Basu wrote an interesting article on The Athletic the other day. He wrote about Habs going all in for Tavares. But if they fail in luring him to sign with Montreal, Basu's Plan B would be to be patient, not to feel forced to use the cap space and overpay for someone else just because you look for a quick fix. He said that fans may not be thrilled with unused cap space again for another year, but it might be better to hold off on it if JT signs elswhere, because next year's UFA class is a lot better (even if a number of them sign with their current team).

He also wrote about a few things that can help the team be better next year even if they're the same line-up. He starts with Price going back to what he has been the last few seasons. He calculates that if Price posted a .920SV%, it would equate to allowing 29 less goals in his 49 games. He also says if he posted a .930SV% (which is elite goaltending Price has provided around the last few seasons), it would equate to 44 fewer goals against. So even with Tavares signed, Price playing like he did this past season doesn't make the Habs better. So it all starts with Carey getting back to form.

He also mentioned Weber being healthy enough to play a full season should also help the team be better can help Price, as well.

As for the defense, he says that IF Alzner has a better Year 2 and that Schlemko can start healthy, the Habs' blue line improves.

He also writes about a lot of the youth they have in the line-up, particularly up front, not rushing to sign someone if they fail with JT, could give them a chance to either progress some more or allow the organization to properly evaluate the kids. He also mentioned that the organization will have another year to see what they have in Poehling, Brook, Ikonen, and Fleury, among others.

He mentions that this year's draft will help deepen the prospect pool. And he also says that the more they wait on trading Pacioretty, the less chances they have in acquiring an NHL player. He says that them trading for picks and prospects could be a good thing as it will further help deepen the prospect pool.

He finishes it off by saying that best case, Price is better, Weber is healthy, Alzner and Schlemko improve, a bunch of the young kids break out, and the team is in a better position. Worst case, they have a similar season of struggles and they get back into the lottery with the chance to get in on Jack Hughes. And at the same time, they can trade some other vets like Shaw, Benn, and Schlemko, who can help them get a few more picks for next year's draft.

So for Basu:
Totally agree with giving the young players another year to develop further and then evaluate them rather then trading them away this summer.
Don't agree about next season's free agent crop as its always the same, a lot of the top will be resigned leaving a couple who won't come to Montreal anyway.
If Weber is healthy and Price regains form we're still a team which will struggle for a playoff spot, 15th to 25th pick. Rinse Repeat. If Weber and Price fail there won't be any choice but to rebuild.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Tavares was selected first overall at Montreal's Bell Centre in 2009.......

Guys??? a full circle?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
not sure how can anyone expect Alzner to have a better year, he's slow and has zero offense so how is he going to get better?

Hopefully Weber isn't impacted by the foot injury, that one is huge as a good year from him would up his trade value for when MB is fired and the team finally admits it's boned and starts selling off assets.

It just seems like a joke to me that JT would consider signing here. Several teams will be able to pay him at least close to what we can if not the same. Why would you leave NYI only to join a team that if not for the Sens/Sabers/Wings would easily have been the worst team in the league.

I don't mind having cap space, would much prefer that to MB signing another Alzner/Shaw/Drouin type of contract.

Of course the main thing is Price. I expect him to be better but how much? He needs to be that sub 2 gaa goalie instead of the plus 3 gaa goalie but even at 2.5 that's not going to be good enough imo.

I keep hearing it said Tavares loves Montreal...that's by more than 1 person in the media....

Who knows.,...but will all know soon...lol

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Basu sounds like he has been visiting MB's house for his info!!

We are in this clown show, because MB has never had a plan B.

All togedder now, hold your breath

You'd have to teach MB the alphabet before you can explain the concept of a Plan B.

Also, Basu hasn't taken into consideration that patience will not be in MB's plans. His neck is under the axe.

Reactions: Shabs

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So for Basu:

He can spin it however he wants to. Plan B doesn't mean patience. Plan B means, "I failed at my job but I haven't been fired yet."

I keep hearing it said Tavares loves Montreal...that's by more than 1 person in the media....

Who knows.,...but will all know soon...lol

It's amazing it's 2018 and people don't understand that this is an agent trick and has been for years.

Tavares has been tight lipped with everyone on what his plans are, but suddenly we got Parenteau saying Tavares likes Montreal and a reporter saying it's a destination. You'd think people would have learned from Marty Lapointe and "Gainey is close to Arnott" and "Gainey is family with Morrow" that this is stuff to get big markets excited and pump the tires of the client to get their maximum deals, and ways for reporters to write stories with zero information. Until Tavares publicly comes out and says he isn't interested in Montreal, nobody will know. But that's the thing. Tavares has said absolutely nothing so "Tavares to the Hartford Whalers" is as believable as "Tavares to the Montreal Canadiens."

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He can spin it however he wants to. Plan B doesn't mean patience. Plan B means, "I failed at my job but I haven't been fired yet."

It's amazing it's 2018 and people don't understand that this is an agent trick and has been for years.

Tavares has been tight lipped with everyone on what his plans are, but suddenly we got Parenteau saying Tavares likes Montreal and a reporter saying it's a destination. You'd think people would have learned from Marty Lapointe and "Gainey is close to Arnott" and "Gainey is family with Morrow" that this is stuff to get big markets excited and pump the tires of the client to get their maximum deals, and ways for reporters to write stories with zero information. Until Tavares publicly comes out and says he isn't interested in Montreal, nobody will know. But that's the thing. Tavares has said absolutely nothing so "Tavares to the Hartford Whalers" is as believable as "Tavares to the Montreal Canadiens."

I know, but Bergy and Tavares agent Pat Brisson are great friends....played hockey together and,.did ya know Tavares agent Pat Brisson was Bergevin's agent for a time in the NHL?

Anyways, if JT is leaving NYI, and Tavares does really like MontreaL...Well Bergy knows John's agent real real well....

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know, but Bergy and Tavares agent Pat Brisson are great friends....played hockey together and,.did ya know Tavares agent Pat Brisson was Bergevin's agent for a time in the NHL?

Anyways, if JT is leaving NYI, and Tavares does really like MontreaL...Well Bergy knows John's agent real real well....
There are some signs, but we have always just been used to get the $$$ offer up, and then they leave once the leverage has been used. The Habs are always a bridesmaid in these kinds of situations. I know the Habs will also use the Price/Weber connection, but..............

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Pat Brisson is also Kyle Okposo's agent, who wouldn't take a phone call from Montreal when Bergevin called.

You do realize that there are plenty of players now GMs and coaches and Brisson represented many of them?

People are seriously grasping at straws.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
MB: So TT what do you think if no Dahlin and Svech ?

TT: Zadina has am elite skill set. Kotkaniemi could be a 1C, Bo...

MB: Let me just stop you there.

TT: Ok.

MB: What players that are likeliest to contribute next season, will be available at our spot.

TT: Well Zadina has a very good chance, Kotkaniemi will likely take a couple of years, Tkachuk the likeliest...

MB: Tkachuk it is

TT: Kotkaniemi could be a 1C and Zadina has a very ...

MB: Nope, no time to wait around
and I want the likeliest chance. Besides, I like Tkachuks Attitoode . If Operation Tavares doesn't work out I will just have to go after Stastny, Bozak, Brassard... etc.

Jul 6, 2016
Plan B: is Paul Stastny from Quebec and speaks french. Tkachuk is going back to college for 1 more season.

Born in Quebec but raised in St-Louis. He doesn't speak French . But I guess he can perhaps have a conversation with his parents and uncles in Slovakian language.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

So for Basu:

Ya the patience thing won’t happen
Molson promised changes on the ice as well to his menu
He said the Habs were a cap team. There’s little to no chance the Habs go into next year with that much unused cap
I’m for a full rebuild but molson isn’t

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Of course Florida wasn't going to get Max.
The rumours was that Bergevin was asking for way too much, how are Florida going to trade a 24 years old center with 75 points and who is in his prime for a one dimensional 29 years old sniper winger?

Im sorry but your evaluation has some serious bias and bashing ( One dimensional players, don't play on the PK )!! (MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mariolemieux66

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017

It was Carbonneau's family but don't let the truth change your fantasy story.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017

So for Basu:
Norm%2BMacdonald%2BDuh%2B1.png

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad