*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Prepare to be surprised. He is not a man playing amongst boys. He isnt ready for the NHL.

I agree. Barring a Kesler trade, The Canucks would have Sedin, Kesler and Matthias as centers under contract for next season. So there is an opening, but I don't see Horvat stepping into the NHL at 19.

And for Jose, you only have Vella listed at goalie. Wheaton and possibly Carlson could be in the mix as well. As Legend suggested, a trade may be an option also.

My top 2 lines would be Horvat,Rupert, Rupert and Marner, McCarron and Domi

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
If there's one thing I've noticed about NHL drafted junior players is that they can easily make their NHL club with a few weeks of a good training camp. We know the NHL is flooded with incompetence and they will bring along a kid at any age. I would agree that Horvat isn't ready for the NHL but this season hardly means anything to the NHL club when he goes to Vancouver in September and likely plays well. Same with the others. I am more of a pessimist and I can easily see all 3 breaking camp in the NHL. London's been burned by this too many times to not think like this. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
The draft today was pretty good but I do have a concern over the number of flyer picks taken in the past two OHL drafts. Jones is terrific, but...is he worth picking 18th overall if you're only going to get 2 seasons at the most? What if you could have drafted another Harrington or another Tierney at 18? Both 4 year players who finished their junior careers as a # 1 d-man and # 1 center, respectively. London looks to be trying to build a super squad with these Americans coming in to support current Knights like Marner, Dvorak, MacDonald, DeFarias, Kreiss, etc. It's a little risky because you're not exactly sure when Werenski or Tkachuk will report (if they ever do) and Jones might miss the boat if he doesn't come in year 2 when other cornerstones start to graduate to the NHL.

Just remember, Memorial Cup bound teams, or even Robertson Cup teams are not built with a nucleus of American players showing up 2 calendar years after being drafted. London's had three championship seasons here, and they've all been built with exceptional drafting and devlopment of Ontario kids starting as London Knights at age 16 or 17 at the latest. They play together for multiple seasons and aren't patched together at age 18. There have been some great additions later on like Tinordi and Watson, but I'm not sure if London currently has enough committed players at age 16-17 to begin the devlopment of a contending team in 2 years.

Probably not a popular opinion here, but just an alternative viewpoint...

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
You need a nucleus of kids that bleed green n gold. You get that attitude/ atmosphere by doing what Bruin suggested IMO. Not that you don't add that high end 1 or 2 yr guy but you need leaders that know nothing other than the Hunter way.
Perry , Syvret, ect....
Harry, Rups, Bo, Tierney

Trivia time- how many knights from last years squad played any games for another OHL squad? ( and what's the total combined?)

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
You need a nucleus of kids that bleed green n gold. You get that attitude/ atmosphere by doing what Bruin suggested IMO. Not that you don't add that high end 1 or 2 yr guy but you need leaders that know nothing other than the Hunter way.
Perry , Syvret, ect....
Harry, Rups, Bo, Tierney

Trivia time- how many knights from last years squad played any games for another OHL squad? ( and what's the total combined?)

Is it the sum of Sefton's and Leroux's totals?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Should have said - how many wore another teams jersey (in reg season or PO action) before wearing the green n gold. I've never looked at other OHL champ rosters but what that knights team did last year, with very little contribution from trades was impressive. (Unprecedented, no idea, but definitely impressive)
JP was also traded for and played role but I'm unsure goin off memory if he even dressed a game in a Ply uni ( pre season or reg)

Point was that was a home grown team ( or as close as you can get )

I don't care if it's US kids, Can kids, euros, if they wanna me here ( bonus points if they wanna be here early ;) )

Gemel Smith continues to impress against top competition. Really like the add.

% of Gemel's point production vs OHL's Top-10
20-28-48 | 38 GP 1.26 PPG | 48 of 84 PTS 57.1%

% of Gemel's point production vs OHL's Bottom-10
19-17-36 | 36 GP 1.00 PPG | 36 of 84 PTS 42.9%
Smith hasn't done anything for us yet to make me change my mind that we overpaid for his services. Yes he has contributed...but not to the point where I'd be pumping his stats up every week. What percentage of those points are in a Knights uniform? I will add he has played very well in the playoffs thus far...but I'd still rather the depth on our bench..especially right now. I guess it's safe to say that until he scores the Memorial Cup game winner...my opinion will likely stay the same. :laugh:

Last edited:
If all of our picks from the last 2 drafts make an appearance for even a one and done, this team is gonna be jacked. Crazy good.

Werenski
Tkachuk
Evers
Gleason
Jones

That's a scary 5 and I haven't even touched on the other top 5 or 6 prospects from the past 2 drafts.

I loved the Knights draft...especially the top 3 picks. The pick that made me the most happy was the last pick of the day. Cal Horvat possibly getting to skate along side his brother for one season(I don't think Bo is ready for the NHL) is a great story.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Smith hasn't done anything for us yet to make me change my mind that we overpaid for his services. Yes he has contributed...but not to the point where I'd be pumping his stats up every week. What percentage of those points are in a Knights uniform? I will add he has played very well in the playoffs thus far...but I'd still rather the depth on our bench..especially right now. I guess it's safe to say that until he scores the Memorial Cup game winner...my opinion will likely stay the same. :laugh:

London-only stats
6-16-22 | 16 GP 1.38 PPG | 22 of 36 PTS 61.1%

% of Gemel's point production vs OHL's Bottom-10
7-7-14 | 18 GP 0.78 PPG | 14 of 36 PTS 38.9%

London+Owen Sound Stats
20-28-48 | 38 GP 1.26 PPG | 48 of 84 PTS 57.1%

Hell, if you disclude Smith's first weekend comprised of 3 road games without a single practise with the Knights, Smith's PPG against the Top-10 elevates to 1.57 PPG.

A 3rd-line Forward yields 1.38 PPG against Top-10 competition -- what's not to like? The important numbers when given the context of 3rd line ice impress.

Last edited:
A 3rd-line Forward yields 1.47 PPG against Top-10 competition -- what's not to like? The important numbers when given the context of 3rd line ice impress.
The fact we traded 2 important pieces for a 3rd line forward. That's the part I don't like;)

If the picks over the past 2 years report...even 50% of them...it will all be a moot point.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
The fact we traded 2 important pieces for a 3rd line forward. That's the part I don't like;)

If the picks over the past 2 years report...even 50% of them...it will all be a moot point.

Very good point.

I'd argue it's the egress of the exchange to be frustrated with. Gemel's more than held up his end of the bargain to-date.

How would you have handled the deadline? Stand pat? Different trade?

Very good point.

I'd argue it's the egress of the exchange to be frustrated with. Gemel's more than held up his end of the bargain to-date.

How would you have handled the deadline? Stand pat? Different trade?
D depth. We needed it then and it has now come to fruition that the point was 100% valid. I'm not slamming Smith as a player..I just feel we could have used our assets better and acquired a need...not a want..so to speak.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
The draft today was pretty good but I do have a concern over the number of flyer picks taken in the past two OHL drafts. Jones is terrific, but...is he worth picking 18th overall if you're only going to get 2 seasons at the most? What if you could have drafted another Harrington or another Tierney at 18? Both 4 year players who finished their junior careers as a # 1 d-man and # 1 center, respectively. London looks to be trying to build a super squad with these Americans coming in to support current Knights like Marner, Dvorak, MacDonald, DeFarias, Kreiss, etc. It's a little risky because you're not exactly sure when Werenski or Tkachuk will report (if they ever do) and Jones might miss the boat if he doesn't come in year 2 when other cornerstones start to graduate to the NHL.

Just remember, Memorial Cup bound teams, or even Robertson Cup teams are not built with a nucleus of American players showing up 2 calendar years after being drafted. London's had three championship seasons here, and they've all been built with exceptional drafting and devlopment of Ontario kids starting as London Knights at age 16 or 17 at the latest. They play together for multiple seasons and aren't patched together at age 18. There have been some great additions later on like Tinordi and Watson, but I'm not sure if London currently has enough committed players at age 16-17 to begin the devlopment of a contending team in 2 years.

Probably not a popular opinion here, but just an alternative viewpoint...

Not true in net-Houser case in point from U.S.. BTW, who's going in net next year? The annointed one is gone to Ottawa. Will Darke search the ball hockey summer tour? Will Rook be back from Sarnia?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Why should we expect Jones after 1 year in the NTDP while having to wait 2 for Tkachuk and Werenski? $50000 is a lot of scratch and I don't think Brad Jones made a huge sum in his career. A lot less than Keith Tkachuk anyways.
Very pleased with how this draft went for the Knights. Would have loved to see Keaton Middleton picked with one of their 3rd rounders though. 6-5 207 at 16? Wow

The $50,000 contract buyout is a myth. Its been disproved by parents of former NTDP players. All contracts are year to year. There are no 2 year contracts. After the first year, another contract is offered.

Not true in net-Houser case in point from U.S.. BTW, who's going in net next year? The annointed one is gone to Ottawa. Will Darke search the ball hockey summer tour? Will Rook be back from Sarnia?
I think the Knights start the year with 4 OA's with Patterson being one of them. They will audition rookie goalies for the back up role. If one steps up and proves they can play top minutes(Vella) then Patterson becomes expendable in my opinion. London isn't as weak on goaltending depth as most outsiders think.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Game day!

Not giving up a few shorties would help.

Hopefully Bo n the others who were a little under the weather are rested n 100%.

Gotta find a way to create an extra break or two.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I think Anderson just battling fatigue.... hasn't had a break and the WJC I think took it's toll.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009

You most definitely missed the point.

Houser began his OHL career as a Knight at age 17. He was a signed free agent, similar to Yakimowicz this season. There were never any waiting games or doubts that Houser would show up and opt for an American program. London could very well be waiting for Jones, Tkachuk, Evers, Werenski, Carlson to show up at age 18, if at all. Typically, championship teams are NOT built this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad