[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Every coach, even the top coaches, will make lineup decisions that annoy their fanbase. Most people here agree that this is a bottom 3 or at least bottom 5 roster in the league, especially with the injuries they've had so far. Green has given the young guys pretty long leashes so far this season. He cut Gagner, scratched MDZ for a couple of weeks. Not sure what people were expecting out of him.

The biggest issue I have with him is that Pouliot is his own Linden Vey, but other than that, I can't really fault him much for the team's current position, if anything it's better than I would have imagined if someone told me that Boeser/Pettersson/Tanev/Edler/Sutter/Baertschi/Beagle/Roussel would all miss multiple games.

I'm not sure how many coaches would have this team doing much better.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
What must really suck for haters, we're first in the division in October, after facing a horrendous amount of injuries, having the 5th hardest quality of competition in the first month, and all those crappy Benning trades and draft picks and crappy Green coaching has got us there.

Must just be burning them all up inside to see the Canucks succeeding, winning, you know like real canucks fans, who hate to see the team winning LMAO

LOL!!

:popcorn::m-dance::vhappy:

This post has not aged well. LMAO! :popcorn::m-dance::vhappy:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
An offense that looks clueless, and Derek Poulliot getting prime ice time even if he can't play. Keep up the good work Green :thumbu:.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
An offense that looks clueless, and Derek Poulliot getting prime ice time even if he can't play. Keep up the good work Green :thumbu:.
Green is playing with pieces given...shall we call up Lidstrom? Maybe Coffey or Bourque are available?

Yes, Pouliot is a terrible defence but he is an AHL player being asked to do top 4 minutes and we have NOBODY to bring up that will vastly improve this situation.

Offence looks clueless because they are missing 3 key pieces in Baer, Boeser and Sutter.

This all points to depth which is not on Green.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Green is playing with pieces given...shall we call up Lidstrom? Maybe Coffey or Bourque are available?

Yes, Pouliot is a terrible defence but he is an AHL player being asked to do top 4 minutes and we have NOBODY to bring up that will vastly improve this situation.

Offence looks clueless because they are missing 3 key pieces in Baer, Boeser and Sutter.

This all points to depth which is not on Green.
Well said. This an idiotic thread. Benning assembled the roster not green. Poor bastard having to work with an AHL roster

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Well said. This an idiotic thread. Benning assembled the roster not green. Poor bastard having to work with an AHL roster

This indeed is a really stupid thread.

Firstly, it is way too early into Green's coaching tenure of a rebuilding team so firing him is not even on the table for this organization. I think Green will be coaching this team for a while.

I also don't think he is a bad coach, who is making more good moves than bad and doesn't have much to work with, made worse by injuries. Not his fault the management brought back the same defence, His biggest offence is not parking Pouliot.

But he has made some good moves.

Having the balls to play Pettersson at centre from day 1 even though he only played 7 games at center in the Swedish league.
Having the patience to keep Goldy with Pettersson and let him develop
Giving Hutton a legitimate chance at ice time to turn his game around. Not every coach does. AV never let players out of the doghouse once they were there.
He has done good work with Virtanen in the pros to bring him along
His team works hard every night, even when over matched.
He has the team playing faster and more aggressive.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
This indeed is a really stupid thread.

Firstly, it is way too early into Green's coaching tenure of a rebuilding team so firing him is not even on the table for this organization. I think Green will be coaching this team for a while.

I also don't think he is a bad coach, who is making more good moves than bad and doesn't have much to work with, made worse by injuries. Not his fault the management brought back the same defence, His biggest offence is not parking Pouliot.

But he has made some good moves.

Having the balls to play Pettersson at centre from day 1 even though he only played 7 games at center in the Swedish league.
Having the patience to keep Goldy with Pettersson and let him develop
Giving Hutton a legitimate chance at ice time to turn his game around. Not every coach does. AV never let players out of the doghouse once they were there.
He has done good work with Virtanen in the pros to bring him along
His team works hard every night, even when over matched.
He has the team playing faster and more aggressive.

JV and Hutton are two good examples of how Green communicates with players. He laid out expectations for both and what they need to work on to be part of this team.

JV goes and works on stickhandling and shooting, Hutton hits the gym and both came back to camp renewed and appear to have figured out what it takes to play in Green’s system.

That is good coaching.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
JV and Hutton are two good examples of how Green communicates with players. He laid out expectations for both and what they need to work on to be part of this team.

JV goes and works on stickhandling and shooting, Hutton hits the gym and both came back to camp renewed and appear to have figured out what it takes to play in Green’s system.

That is good coaching.
Playing Shaller on the first line is clueless and giving his pet Pouliot free reign is even worse. For all the good things he does he doubles down on the tripe.

Reactions: Hit the post

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Playing Shaller on the first line is clueless and giving his pet Pouliot free reign is even worse. For all the good things he does he doubles down on the tripe.
His TOI minutes paint a different picture he had less than 6 mins last game and 11 minutes vs Wpg.

When did he play on first line or are you suggesting he should?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever Green does during the current losing-streak, he's making a huge mistake by forcing Horvat to play 23 minutes a night and taking all the face-offs. He's now taken more than 500 draws, by a mile the highest total in the league. You can see he's wearing down dramatically.

Unless something changes, it's a virtual guarantee Bo goes down with an injury, just like last year about the same point in the season. If that happens, the season really is a lost cause.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Agree on those two players.

Schaller's role and ice time is dramatically decreasing of late. Lets see what happens when some better injured players come back. At the start of the season there is some pressure on the coach to give Schaller a long look considering the GM went out and gave him 2 million a year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
"We talked about it this morning as far as not taking penalties and we go and take four in the first period. We don't want to take lazy penalties but we still want our guys to be aggressive. And it's a fine line... You've gotta give them credit. They did a really good job of killing penalties, and they're good at it. They've got a big strong team, a veteran team... They're smart. I've said it before about penalty-killing, it's a learned art. And they're good at it... Their team is good at getting shots through to the net. They've got two QBs up top who've won Norrises in the last five years, two of the best in the business. I'm not happy that we gave up three but I'm not just gonna blow up at our penalty killers." - Green

Green, blaming the Sharks for being too good and having 2 Norris defenders for the loss and PK.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What is wrong with that comment? As far as I’m concerned he is 100% correct.

I love it when coaches just say “we got to stop taking unnecessary penalties” as if the players don’t know that already. Then again, even if all sports are cliche-ridden, NHL really is something else in that department (at least compared to European football, hockey etc.).

Reactions: Nomobo

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

We should replace Green with Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman. That will turn things around.

To pile on, this is a stupid thread. This garbage roster is, if anything, overperforming.

Reactions: tyhee and Nomobo

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I like to wait and see in the next 10 games until I decide one way or another, but I can`t ignore the 8 game loss which was difficult to watch.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What is wrong with that comment? As far as I’m concerned he is 100% correct.

I love it when coaches just say “we got to stop taking unnecessary penalties” as if the players don’t know that already. Then again, even if all sports are cliche-ridden, NHL really is something else in that department (at least compared to European football, hockey etc.).
I’m pretty sure Grub is 16 and may not realize that the personnel Green has to work with is atrocious. No coach in the league could make this roster “good.” Grub deserves Willie D :)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's not like Schaller hasn't skated with say Patrice Bergeron in the past. He's one of those guys who coaches like.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I find this post unecessarily urgent and inflammatory when the in-season stakes are so low. The coach is a distant priority until the team is actually ready to be contending for a playoff spot, and even so, i feel like Green has done a fine job with what he has to work with. There's a lot I dont like about how the Canucks are run but the coach isn't one of them. The bad GMing is a much greater concern and Benning's misteps are where we could actually lose a lot long term.

Also, Green should a lot of credit for Pettersson's start in the NHL. Instantly icing him as a center and giving him big minutes is not something any other coach we've had previously would have done.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I mean, i guess if you think this team is supposed to be a playoff team, Green is at fault. The team isn't good enough for that though, and thats on the GM.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Nearly every respected hockey analyst predicted the Canucks would be near the bottom of the league this year yet the fans on HF are trying to blame Green? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad