[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe he somehow got a 4 year contract, which is absurd for a rookie NHL coach.

Really? I think 4 years is standard when you hire a new coach. Because, teams need to make a decision on the coach prior to the final year of their contract. So, you're going to make a decision after year 2 if you give your coach a 3 year deal? Every team has to be prepared to walk about from their coach before the final year of their contract. Just how the business works.

Willie D got 4 years. I believe Montgomery in Dallas just got the same 4 years. Hynes in NJ got 3 years plus a 4th year option. Hakstol got 5 years from Philly. Guys who leave top NCAA programs are going to get term, otherwise, they won't be leaving college.

Green has until the end of next season to show progress with the team. More guys than just Boeser and Petterson, and Horvat have to develop. It's going to be about the likes of Juolevi and Hughes on the back end next season, along with Dahlen and Gaudette up front next season. And depending on where they draft in 2019, that pick could be on the roster.

If Green needs to be fired after next season, then Benning is gone too. GMs who don't have any playoff success won't be allowed to fire 3 coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Look at the horse ***** roster he has. Scotty Bowman couldn’t make this a playoff team. We are just a terrible terrible team. Doesn’t matter who’s behind the bench.

Reactions: pomorick

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't care about Green, but I don't want this management regime hiring another coach so I'm fine letting Green stay until we replace the GM.

Agreed. Green seems like a run-of-the-mill coach. He's not the real problem. Firing him wouldn't fix the team.

Once the entire management group is cleaned out, we can look at a finding a new coach (Pascal Vincent with the Moose has done a very good job developing players, which is what this franchise needs as of now).

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I believe he somehow got a 4 year contract, which is absurd for a rookie NHL coach.

David Quinn got a 5 year contract.

Really? I think 4 years is standard when you hire a new coach. Because, teams need to make a decision on the coach prior to the final year of their contract. So, you're going to make a decision after year 2 if you give your coach a 3 year deal? Every team has to be prepared to walk about from their coach before the final year of their contract. Just how the business works.

Pretty much this. Green is reportedly only making $1M a year which makes him one of the lowest paid coaches.

Green has until the end of next season to show progress with the team. More guys than just Boeser and Petterson, and Horvat have to develop. It's going to be about the likes of Juolevi and Hughes on the back end next season, along with Dahlen and Gaudette up front next season. And depending on where they draft in 2019, that pick could be on the roster.

If Green needs to be fired after next season, then Benning is gone too. GMs who don't have any playoff success won't be allowed to fire 3 coaches.

I agree. I think that absent a new GM, Green is likely safe for another season unless the team shows signs of quitting on him. Judging from how the Canucks have played under him, that is unlikely.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

Pretty much this. Green is reportedly only making $1M a year which makes him one of the lowest paid coaches.

I agree. I think that absent a new GM, Green is likely safe for another season unless the team shows signs of quitting on him. Judging from how the Canucks have played under him, that is unlikely.

As of now give Green credit kids are buying in they are playing a very good game most nights sometimes coaches get too much credit for success and take more responsibility for losing so far he has been good .

Reactions: NucksRock

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
What an odd misinformed article. Tryamkin took over as captain for Avto part way through last season. He was only captain for for three games this season, not nearly a month.

He's getting less ice time, but that's just because they have better depth this year. He's still number two in TOI/G and first in shifts/ game.

Not one of Avto's defencemen has played every game, all they all struggling and on their way out? Seems unlikely for a team that is 23-1.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
This is like placing all the blame on the Chief Engineer on the Titanic.

Besides you can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad. Green is doing a perfectly adequate job with the team he's been given. In fact, at this point, he's over performing. I honestly can't imagine any other coach doing much better, considering the circumstances.

Now, if our coach was Mike Yeo, this thread would have a point.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
What must really suck for haters, we're first in the division in October, after facing a horrendous amount of injuries, having the 5th hardest quality of competition in the first month, and all those crappy Benning trades and draft picks and crappy Green coaching has got us there.

Must just be burning them all up inside to see the Canucks succeeding, winning, you know like real canucks fans, who hate to see the team winning LMAO

LOL!!

:popcorn::m-dance::vhappy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Greener is a good coach. Benning & management are idiots. Look at what Green has to work with. FA signings like Gagner, Burmistrov, Eriksson, Del Zotto can’t help much. Green said the team was soft and needed to be faster & harder to play against. Boeser excelled last season, EP is excelling this season, Virtanen & Goldobin have gotten better under his watch. Coach is the last thing this team needs to worry about, he has them battling and playing hard every night. The same horrible D as last year and the garbage signings is on the GM not the coach.

Last edited:

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Benning sucks Green sucks Juolevi sucks Virtanen sucks!!!

LOL....go cheer for your flames

What must really suck for you haters, we're first in the division in October, after facing a horrendous amount of injuries, having the 5th hardest quality of competition in the first month, and all those crappy Benning trades and draft picks and crappy Green coaching has got us there.

Must just be burning you all up inside to see the Canucks succeeding, winning, you know like real canucks fans, who hate to see the team winning LMAO

LOL!!

:popcorn::m-dance::vhappy:
They likely wont finish first in the division after 82 games. As of now they are 1 game over 500.

That said, based on his work thus far, Travis Green is among the early front runners for coach of the year.

This thread is insane. End it.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This thread aged nicely.
With our team with band aid and masking tape, so far so good for October.
He's doing what he can with this bunch.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
They likely wont finish first in the division after 82 games. As of now they are 1 game over 500.

That said, based on his work thus far, Travis Green is among the early front runners for coach of the year.

This thread is insane. End it.
Grub started this thread. Let’s all just laugh at him and enjoy the wins

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

I wish I only made 1 million a year ha!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
The Eastern Media thought Willie was a good coach too, even gave him the national team job after he got canned in Vancouver.So this is what our healthy full squad managed to achieve.

4th last in the league in CF% and FF% and ShotsF%.
4th last in the league for ES Goals against too, only control 41.30% of scoring chances for (2nd last in the league).

shotPlot-25-5v5-cor.png

But at least the team had a decent October, that means everything. Knowing how this went in previous seasons, when the team eventually hit a brick wall at the end of December and are near last place, people will go back to blaming injuries and that "if we weren't injured as much we could have made playoffs! Just look how well we were doineg up until injuries!". When in actual reality the team are basically getting lucky, and the reality will be that the team will regress back to the mean anyway despite injuries.

There really isn't much in me to argue against these narratives anymore. Three years in a row we've come out swinging, three years in a row have we regressed back to the mean. People don't learn do they?

Don't trust in the teams early success unless the advanced stats show it's sustainable.
Don't trust Eastern medias narratives about our coaching staff, they are usually wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille