[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fyi Sutter wasn't on the ice for a GAA in the previous 4 games.

Yes Green did say he wants 3 scoring lines. If you don't have the players, you can't create 3 scoring lines. Only option is to put Miller down as a third line center but that might not be the best option.

Right now the third line is Sutter between a combination of Virtanen Ferland and Leivo.

So do you want

Baer Gaudette Virtanen?

If yes, not sure how is that is considered a scoring line and a better third line from the current one.

Sutter was absolutely atrocious today. He’s garbage if he’s not moving his feet and handles the puck like a grenade.

Reactions: tantalum and timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This is unbelievable. They actually won the game guys.

We were the better team for the majority of the game and all these posters are acting like they just lost 8-0.

It could be that we did our absolute best job to try and blow a 3 goal lead against a hard-commit-rebuild team in the third and were bailed out by yet another Vezina calibre goaltending performance.

These kind of wins should be no problem for a quality playoff team.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It could be that we did our absolute best job to try and blow a 3 goal lead against a hard-commit-rebuild team in the third and were bailed out by yet another Vezina calibre goaltending performance.

These kind of wins should be no problem for a quality playoff team.
Every single quality playoff team plays terrible periods multiple times each season. Drawing conclusions from one of them is disingenuous and silly.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Every single quality playoff team plays terrible periods multiple times each season. Drawing conclusions from one of them is disingenuous and silly.

We've seen our bottom-6 perform atrociously in several games already this season (not to mention last year), and we're moving further and further away from any semblance of a third scoring line (which is what we were told by the coach in the preseason was the goal).

Reactions: Pavel96

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
We've seen our bottom-6 perform atrociously in several games already this season (not to mention last year), and we're moving further and further away from any semblance of a third scoring line (which is what we were told by the coach in the preseason was the goal).
Save me some time and just take a few days, decide where you want the goalposts to be, and get back to me.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The thing that gets me the most about Green isn't his systems or how he runs his bench in terms of ice time nor his goalie management even, though that could definitely be better.

It's the seemingly endless amounts of rope he gives to guys like Sutter, Schaller or Beagle who can almost do no wrong in his eyes - no matter how poor they play or how many mistakes they make, Green is always going to keep throwing them over the boards because they're "his guys". Meanwhile anytime a young player with some semblance of upside makes a mistake they're given no leash.

Just frustrating if you want to see the young guns get a bigger role.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At some point there needs to a be a lot deeper discussion of Green’s ability to develop players.

In his time in Utica, nobody developed.

In his time in Vancouver, nobody has really developed. Two guys came in as fully formed impact players and both are now performing worse than as raw rookies. Stecher, Hutton, Virtanen all flatlining at best. Goldobin didn’t work.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a coach with a worse track record on this front.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The thing that gets me the most about Green isn't his systems or how he runs his bench in terms of ice time nor his goalie management even, though that could definitely be better.

It's the seemingly endless amounts of rope he gives to guys like Sutter, Schaller or Beagle who can almost do no wrong in his eyes - no matter how poor they play or how many mistakes they make, Green is always going to keep throwing them over the boards because they're "his guys". Meanwhile anytime a young player with some semblance of upside makes a mistake they're given no leash.

Just frustrating if you want to see the young guns get a bigger role.

For what it's worth, Green did make Schaller a frequent healthy scratch last season but he also didn't play the type of game he played in his last season as a Bruin. This year Schaller's play is more like it. Comets fans did tell us the style of game Green likes his team to play and I think in large part we're seeing it. Schaller and Beagle were the type of players Green wanted Benning to acquire.

Almost all coaches have a fondness for players who in their mind they know what they are getting. Willie liked to throw out Chaput and Megna. AV liked this bottom 6 grinders as well. Crawford loved to start the game with his energy line. With that said, at least Green doesn't move his grinders up to play with Petey and get PP time.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
At some point there needs to a be a lot deeper discussion of Green’s ability to develop players.

In his time in Vancouver, nobody has really developed. Two guys came in as fully formed impact players and both are now performing worse than as raw rookies. Stecher, Hutton, Virtanen all flatlining at best. Goldobin didn’t work.

I thought Green might have done a bit of good in Utica with Gaunce (based on his solid NHL play), and possibly with Virtanen (based on reports from BG). Maybe Shink all things given.

But at the NHL level, I don't see any successes, he has clearly failed to successfully connect with Virtanen, and actively sabotaged Goldy's development. And now we see Gaudette being so badly mishandled.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
For what it's worth, Green did make Schaller a frequent healthy scratch last season but he also didn't play the type of game he played in his last season as a Bruin. This year Schaller's play is more like it. Comets fans did tell us the style of game Green likes his team to play and I think in large part we're seeing it. Schaller and Beagle were the type of players Green wanted Benning to acquire.

Almost all coaches have a fondness for players who in their mind they know what they are getting. Willie liked to throw out Chaput and Megna. AV liked this bottom 6 grinders as well. Crawford loved to start the game with his energy line. With that said, at least Green doesn't move his grinders up to play with Petey and get PP time.
Schaller is playing almost exactly the same as last year and lets not forget he didn't start getting healthy scratched until near Christmas, he was a lineup regular not doing too different than what he is in the 8 games so far this year, but for some reason he's being paraded and celebrated.

The usage and statistics are near identical.

I watch the games and I'm struggling to see this new and improved Schaller that everyone talks about.

The bold is part of the problem, he wanted bad players for this archaic top6/bottom 6 utility and it becomes a lineup that will struggle to generate anything when the top 2 lines aren't on the ice.

That said, I can't complain about the PK so far, but I think a lot of that has to do with the goaltending so far.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
giphy.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Schaller is playing almost exactly the same as last year and lets not forget he didn't start getting healthy scratched until near Christmas, he was a lineup regular not doing too different than what he is in the 8 games so far this year, but for some reason he's being paraded and celebrated.

The usage and statistics are near identical.

I watch the games and I'm struggling to see this new and improved Schaller that everyone talks about.

Schaller was scratched to begin last season. He also didn't score his first goal until like it was garbage time last season. He already has 4 goals. Last year he had 3 in 47 games. You make it sound like the "counting stats" don't actually count. If you don't see a difference between the Schaller that started last season and the one that started last season then nobody can help you and you are entitled to your opinion.

Reactions: Spur1

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017

His name is Alain Vigneault

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Post you quoted is from 10 days ago F A N.

He had no production then, but people were still praising his play, so I looked at the underlying numbers. Maybe try a little harder to keep up, or ignore my posts.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks next 6 games are interesting
4 easy games, STL at home (w/o Tarasenko) which is winnable but the Blues are never easy, then the Hawks in Chicago. Hawks are poor this year but their core still hates us and they'll play us hard, especially at home.

If the Canucks can get 9 points in the next 6 games, i'll be very pleased and would think that Green's job is safe :)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
His name is Alain Vigneault
Lol.
Hank and Danny were 25 when he got here and got better. So were Bieksa and Burrows.
Kesler was 22. He also developed some of these guys in Manitoba too.

Hansen/Raymond/Edler/Tanev were all 20

JT Miller/Kreider/Zibanejad/McDonagh/Stepan/Kevin Hayes/Skjei/Buechnevich/Pionk

Sure he didn't get much out of Cody Hodgson, but he was trying to win a cup, not develop malcontents.

Probably the worst possible coach you could've brought up, look how young the team he currently coaches is. Based on his track record I expect guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick etc etc etc to all develop better with him as their coach. Look at the freakin' track record.

Reactions: xtra

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Lol.
Hank and Danny were 25 when he got here and got better. So were Bieksa and Burrows.
Kesler was 22. He also developed some of these guys in Manitoba too.

Hansen/Raymond/Edler/Tanev were all 20

JT Miller/Kreider/Zibanejad/McDonagh/Stepan/Kevin Hayes/Skjei/Buechnevich/Pionk

Sure he didn't get much out of Cody Hodgson, but he was trying to win a cup, not develop malcontents.

Probably the worst possible coach you could've brought up, look how young the team he currently coaches is. Based on his track record I expect guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick etc etc etc to all develop better with him as their coach. Look at the freakin' track record.
Im gunna use New York as my only example. This is a biased opinion tho as i have several close ranger fan cousins and that was literally the only thing they would talk about.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not sure if it's already happened but somebody needs to ask Green what the hell is up with his usage of Edler, whose average TOI/game is at 25:14. That's 6th in the NHL... Edler's not some spring chicken in the prime of his youth anymore.

When you dig a little deeper into his minutes Edler's 2nd among our D averaging 3:25/game on the PK. Meanwhile a guy in Stecher who could use a lot more ice time and has actually performed well on the PK is at a measly 0:42.

WTF?

Like, I'm not even gonna bring up just how stuck this coach is on their 4th line... Has none of our media actually grilled him about this?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm not sure if it's already happened but somebody needs to ask Green what the hell is up with his usage of Edler, whose average TOI/game is at 25:14. That's 6th in the NHL... Edler's not some spring chicken in the prime of his youth anymore.

When you dig a little deeper into his minutes Edler's 2nd among our D averaging 3:25/game on the PK. Meanwhile a guy in Stecher who could use a lot more ice time and has actually performed well on the PK is at a measly 0:42.

WTF?

Like, I'm not even gonna bring up just how stuck this coach is on their 4th line... Has none of our media actually grilled him about this?

I don’t always agree with the criticisms aimed at Green, but you’ve hit one of those that seem clear. He's had the opportunity to scale back Edler's play at times and for the most part has shown no inclination to do so.

October 9-Canucks 8, Kings 2. The Canucks had a 2 goal lead after 6 minutes and it never was leas than that again. By half way through the 3rd period the score was 6-2. Edler played 24:42, more than any other skater on either team and over 3 and a half minutes more than the next Canuck.

October 15-Canucks 5, Red Wings 1. The Canucks had a 3 goal lead at 12:45 of the 2nd period and later scored the only goal in the 3rd. Edler played 25:00, again more than any other skater on either team. The Red Wings’ toi leader played 22:15.

October 28-This one Green got right imo. Canucks plastered the Panthers 7-2, running up a big lead in the 1st period and Edler had his only game so far this season under 20 minutes at 19:37, the team leader for the game being Jordie Benn.

November 2-Canucks 5, Sharks 2. The Canucks got a 4-0 lead at 5:11 of the 2nd period and maintained that 4 goal lead until 10:51 of the 3rd. Edler once again led all skaters on either team in time on ice which a whopping 29:39.

November 7-Hawks 5, Canucks 2. Edler led all skaters on both teams in toi yet again, with 27:15. Commenters on the game weren’t complimentary about Edler’s play.

November 8-Jets 4, Canucks 1. Back half of back to back after Edler played over 27 minutes the night before. The gdt has numerous comments about Edler’s poor play. He led both teams in toi with 25:58.

The Canucks have played 17 games. Edler has led Canucks’ skaters in toi 15 of them and both teams in 9 of them. He has one game over 30 minutes and a couple more over 29.

He’s 33 years old. He started the season playing really well and team results through October were excellent. Edler’s play is dropping off, his ice time remains high and the team is sliding. Based on his age, time on ice and his play not being as good as it was earlier, the natural speculation is that he’s already getting overtired with the season barely over 1/5 of the way through.

Does this bring back to anyone else memories of the Canucks with the Sedins overplayed by Tortorella in the early season?

There were opportunities to scale back Edler’s overuse. With only two exceptions, Edler has played big minutes this season whether or not the game was close.

The season is a marathon, not a sprint. This isn’t the finals of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Overplaying a 33 year old has to result in him getting overtired. Fatigue leads to poor play and an increased chance of injuries.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
This has to be Horvat every time new line mates are announced:

giphy.gif

Find two guys and stick with them for godsakes. I think Pearson and Virtanen have been his best line mates this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce