Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolburnIsGone

I get the feeling that Sharp will be more expensive because he's more valuable. Yes, the Hawks have to move him, but other teams will be interested as well. The Panthers won't be the only team in the running.
I can't understand why everyone assumes they "have to move" Sharp. They are projected to have 4M in cap space next yr without the cap going up. With Bettmans projected increase to 72M, that means the Hawks have as much as 7M. They need to resign Saad but a bridge deal could help there. Other than him, they just need to replace Oduya on the 2nd pairing and resign/replace Richards on the 2nd line. I could see them more likely just trading Bickell for a similar cap hit in a d-man (maybe someone like Scuderi for instance). So I really don't see this huge need to move Sharp. Thus as you said, the cost to acquire him won't be as cheap as everyone thinks. And there will be teams with cap space and contending teams too that will be trying to get Sharp if he was available (especially since he has a NTC to influence where he gets traded to). I say no chance he ends up here for next season.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Nah. It should get Kessel, but it isn't worth it to give up that many pieces. Plus, I'm not trading Barkov to a division rival. That's just asking to comeback and haunt us.

I agree about not trading in the division. Imagine Barkov as a 50-60 point center in 5 years and Matheson as a 25-30 minute per game defenseman getting 20-25 points?

I could take that if they were out West but not facing them at least 4 times per season!

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I agree about not trading in the division. Imagine Barkov as a 50-60 point center in 5 years and Matheson as a 25-30 minute per game defenseman getting 20-25 points?

I could take that if they were out West but not facing them at least 4 times per season!

I would trade Weiss and a minute eating Kulikov for Kessel if that was their production. :sarcasm:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

5 years? That's too long. There's a difference between being patient and waiting forever. Eventually you have to make a move to put your team over the top. Also, Matheson wont play 25-30 minutes. He's not going to lead the NHL in ice time.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
5 years? That's too long. There's a difference between being patient and waiting forever. Eventually you have to make a move to put your team over the top. Also, Matheson wont play 25-30 minutes. He's not going to lead the NHL in ice time.

In Kessel's first two years with Boston he scored 29 points in 70 games and 37 points in 82 games. He did not really break out until his 3rd full year in the league. How about giving Barkov a chance to play healthy for 100 or so games before talking about trading him?

I have no idea how many minutes Matheson will play, perhaps he will log 25-30 minutes, perhaps not. We will see.

I'm still against trading within the division.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

So, we give Bjugstad 4.5 years to develop and he looks pretty good right now, Trocheck 3.5 years and starting to see he has a lot of potential as well... But we are already trading Barkov (who was infinitely better than both at the same point in their careers) after only 1.5 years. Who are we kidding about our Stanley Cup chances? Yea, I am excited about the posibiliy of making the playoffs, but are we really blind enough to think we are a serious contender? Let him develop and in two years, when we will be serious contenders IMO Barkov will be there as an important and still YOUNG part of he team.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
So, we give Bjugstad 4.5 years to develop and he looks pretty good right now, Trocheck 3.5 years and starting to see he has a lot of potential as well... But we are already trading Barkov (who was infinitely better than both at the same point in their careers) after only 1.5 years. Who are we kidding about our Stanley Cup chances? Yea, I am excited about the posibiliy of making the playoffs, but are we really blind enough to think we are a serious contender? Let him develop and in two years, when we will be serious contenders IMO Barkov will be there as an important and still YOUNG part of he team.

People expect him to be a superstar right away because he was chosen 2nd overall. I'm all about giving him time to develop because we know he's capable offensively and he's clearly good defensively. No reason at all to give up on him this early.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
In Kessel's first two years with Boston he scored 29 points in 70 games and 37 points in 82 games. He did not really break out until his 3rd full year in the league. How about giving Barkov a chance to play healthy for 100 or so games before talking about trading him?

I have no idea how many minutes Matheson will play, perhaps he will log 25-30 minutes, perhaps not. We will see.

I'm still against trading within the division.

I'm not for trading him because I doubt his potential or skill. You and many others seem to not understand this. He's the key piece that brings back one of the best goal scorers. Obviously I'm not undervaluing him.

He wont play 25-30 minutes because he's not going to lead the NHL in ice time.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

First off, Barkov and Bjugstad are different players. Barkov when drafted was going to step into the NHL right away, had been playing against men, and was physically ready. He was also the #2 overall pick. Bjugstad was a known long term project at the time. Trocheck was a third round pick...

Again, this has nothing to do with doubting Barkov's potential. See my post above.

If we got Phil Kessel and stayed healthy, we could certainly make a run. We have a great defense and elite goaltending. We'd also improve year over year and have a top goal scorer for the future. We're not hurting our chances to be successful long term.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
People expect him to be a superstar right away because he was chosen 2nd overall. I'm all about giving him time to develop because we know he's capable offensively and he's clearly good defensively. No reason at all to give up on him this early.

It's not about being a superstar right away for Barkov. It's that he has enough value to trade to get an established superstar. We have plenty of depth down the middle.

LA moved Schenn, Simmonds, and Johnson for key pieces that helped them win two cups. Schenn at the time was the #1 prospect according to HF. It's crazy how much you guys love potential. How about getting a superstar for potential?

Wells, Shvidki, Novoseltsev, Weiss (next Yzerman), Horton, Bouwmeester, Frolik, Olesz (next Jagr, lol), Huselius, Stewart, Ellerby, McCardle, Kreps, Taticek, Krajicek, Brown...

Remember when we could have traded Bouw for Jeff Carter but passed that up? LOL, worked out really well for us. Sometimes you have to take a bit of a risk to get a reward. Bouw is a bit different but nobody wanted to move him because he looked like a future franchise dman despite rumors he wanted out.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
RainingRats is doing a good job of explaining my position. I don't want you guys to think I don't like Barkov or matheson, but we'd be getting back an 80+ point winger who is not just a rental. Just think about that for a second. Imagine how bjugstad would develop with him and how far our team could go in the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It's not about being a superstar right away for Barkov. It's that he has enough value to trade to get an established superstar. We have plenty of depth down the middle.

LA moved Schenn, Simmonds, and Johnson for key pieces that helped them win two cups. Schenn at the time was the #1 prospect according to HF. It's crazy how much you guys love potential. How about getting a superstar for potential?

Wells, Shvidki, Novoseltsev, Weiss (next Yzerman), Horton, Bouwmeester, Frolik, Olesz (next Jagr, lol), Huselius, Stewart, Ellerby, McCardle, Kreps, Taticek, Krajicek, Brown...

Remember when we could have traded Bouw for Jeff Carter but passed that up? LOL, worked out really well for us. Sometimes you have to take a bit of a risk to get a reward. Bouw is a bit different but nobody wanted to move him because he looked like a future franchise dman despite rumors he wanted out.

All of our "depth" is expendable though...

Rau - MAYBE a top 6 center, probably a 3rd liner
Shore - bottom 6 on an ok team
Bolland - preferrably 3rd line, but can play top 6 if needed
Mackenzie - best on the 4th line
Grimaldi - 2nd or 3rd liner
Howden - bottom 6

But out of all of those guys, let's trade Barkov, the one with the best chance of being a 1st or 2nd line center. Look, i'm no Barkov fanboy, but I just don't see why we should be trading him when we have no centers, aside from Bjugstad maybe, with top line potential. I can't honestly see any of those guys above playing on the 2nd or 3rd line except for a couple, but even then it's probably a stretch. Plus, Rau and Grimaldi are small and I woudn't be intimidated if I was playing a team with 2 of it's 4 centers under 5'8".

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
All of our "depth" is expendable though...

Rau - MAYBE a top 6 center, probably a 3rd liner
Shore - bottom 6 on a good team
Bolland - preferrably 3rd line
Mackenzie - best on the 4th line
Grimaldi - 2nd or 3rd liner
Howden - bottom 6

But out of all of those guys, let's trade Barkov, the one with the best chance of being a 1st or 2nd line center. Look, i'm no Barkov fanboy, but I just don't see why we should be trading him when we have no centers, aside from Bjugstad maybe, with top line potential. I can't honestly see any of those guys above playing on the 2nd or 3rd line except for a couple, but even then it's probably a stretch. Plus, Rau and Grimaldi are small and I woudn't be intimidated if I was playing a team with 2 of it's 4 centers under 5'8".
Trocheck doesn't have second line center potential?

Shore can play 2C, imo.

Our depth might be expendable but it isn't going to bring back anything spectacular.

I'm not so sure Barkov has a better chance than Bjugstad at becoming a legit #1. That's definitely up for debate.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I see the point of why trading Barkov now might make sense as RR mentioned that the Kings did with some of their players when they were young, which led them to produce a roster that won them the Cup with the return. I'd love Kessel down here because we'd be an instant contender for a playoff spot.

However, I'm willing to give Barkov a few more years as he's only 19 years old. While it's taking him a bit longer to develop than we'd like, he's coming off a season-ending injury last season. He's still adapting to the U.S. and learning the language. I'm really not that worried yet about him. In a few years, if his points total doesn't rise, then I might be a bit concerned. Trading him to Toronto could completely bite us in the ass being a division rival if he broke out there.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
No one would have dared trade Barkov last season when he was the youngest player in the league and carrying the offensive load for this team. Now he starts slow and the team suddenly has all this depth that they can sacrifice him. He shouldn't be moved. Centers are more valuable than wingers (Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron are more valuable than Ovechkin/Kane/Kessel).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No one would have dared trade Barkov last season when he was the youngest player in the league and carrying the offensive load for this team. Now he starts slow and the team suddenly has all this depth that they can sacrifice him. He shouldn't be moved. Centers are more valuable than wingers (Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron are more valuable than Ovechkin/Kane/Kessel).

I can't wait for the inevitable Ekblad slump next year, and why we should trade him!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

He didn't carry the offensive load last year. Things also change. We have elite goaltending and a great defense now. Bjugstad has taken a huge step forward. The key piece we're missing is a goal scoring winger.

Again, no guarantee Barkov becomes that. Who says Bjugstad can't?

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
He didn't carry the offensive load last year. Things also change. We have elite goaltending and a great defense. Bjugstad has taken a huge step forward. The key piece we're missing is a goal scoring winger.

Right now this team has an elite center core. If Barkov is traded it goes from elite to above average. The wingers go from below average to average. When you weight the positives and negatives of this trade I don't see the Panthers coming out ahead.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Completely different. It has nothing do with slumping.

Yes it does, because there wasn't a whisper of trading Barkov last year. There was a group who wanted to trade both Bjugstad and Barkov when they were slumping earlier this year. If he was playing the way he did last year we wouldn't dream of it.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Right now this team has an elite center core. If Barkov is traded it goes from elite to above average. The wingers go from below average to average. When you weight the positives and negatives of this trade I don't see the Panthers coming out ahead.

No way. You're not giving enough credit to a ppg winger who can put up 30-40 goals. And you're significantly overrating potential.

This team has high end center POTENTIAL. Not an elite core. Elite center core is Getzlaf and Kesler. Bergeron and Krejci. Crosby and Malkin.

You don't see the panthers coming out ahead because you overrate potential.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
No way. You're not giving enough credit to a ppg winger who can put up 30-40 goals. And you're significantly overrating potential.

This team has high end center POTENTIAL. Not an elite core. Elite center core is Getzlaf and Kesler. Bergeron and Krejci. Crosby and Malkin.

You don't see the panthers coming out ahead because you overrate potential.

A one-dimenstional winger is more valuable than a two-way center? The Kings win without having PPG players, and the Panthers are built to be just like that. A guy like Kessel isn't someone who can win a playoff series for a team. Barkov is.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yes it does, because there wasn't a whisper of trading Barkov last year. There was a group who wanted to trade both Bjugstad and Barkov when they were slumping earlier this year. If he was playing the way he did last year we wouldn't dream of it.

That's because the team has evolved from last year, specifically Bjugstad and Trocheck. We're very strong on defense and in net. Our weakness is scoring and I want to address that by moving potential.

Anyway, we have different philosophies. I think we should move high end prospects/young players similar to what LA did to get over the hump and go with a more sure thing and you'd rather wait out potential, hoping it evolves into a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad