Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I wonder if they'll want Borgstrom in the NHL straight away. They seemed pretty bullish on him.

Yeah we should add a piece if possible.
Sure they want him here but he needs to show much more than he did with his 4 game showcase. I just don't get the feeling he has a grasp of what it takes skating and strength wise to excel at the NHL level. If McCann is moved, then knowing Tallon he will push Boo to start him at 3C. All we can hope for is he is working hard to bring it up to the next level in the off season. :)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
It's just a matter of whether you think we have good trade chips. As you know, I don't unless you want to move Huby and or Ekblad. Neither of them IMO would get you what you want unless you want to throw in Borgstrom. To me it's a non starter as teams are not looking to move talent for talent but are looking to steal someone from you because of Cap or other issues or peddle some over the hill former star.

I don't see any worthwhile UFA coming here and IMO our prospects need to prove themselves in the AHL and then the NHL before they can attract any future trades and even those will likely be one sided. This is going to be a year where our depth is going to have to take it to the next level to get better and we are going to need Lu in form all year in order to break the bubble and get in the PO's. :(
yea I agree our prospects aren't worth much but we can always throw in picks. at least those will be untainted by us having idiotically picked them :)

Reactions: Brokin

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Sure they want him here but he needs to show much more than he did with his 4 game showcase. I just don't get the feeling he has a grasp of what it takes skating and strength wise to excel at the NHL level. If McCann is moved, then knowing Tallon he will push Boo to start him at 3C. All we can hope for is he is working hard to bring it up to the next level in the off season. :)
If McCann is moved I don't think we have other option than Borgstrom, unless you return Bjugstad to C. I'd keep Malgin at wing.

TBH a part of me just wants to see what this group can do. The team's win record over the second half of the season speaks for itself - and sure, a fair part of that is thanks to Luongo who was amazing and I expect them to come down to earth somewhat, but still. There's a chance they could be pretty good, and we have Borg, Hunt and Haapala as call-ups... Maybe that group is good enough and we just don't know it yet.

But if they're not, we can't waste yet another season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If McCann is moved I don't think we have other option than Borgstrom, unless you return Bjugstad to C. I'd keep Malgin at wing.

TBH a part of me just wants to see what this group can do. The team's win record over the second half of the season speaks for itself - and sure, a fair part of that is thanks to Luongo who was amazing and I expect them to come down to earth somewhat, but still. There's a chance they could be pretty good, and we have Borg, Hunt and Haapala as call-ups... Maybe that group is good enough and we just don't know it yet.

But if they're not, we can't waste yet another season.
Sceviour is a decent FO guy and would be solid for a year until Borgstrom matures. He does so many things well and is such a smart player.

I too want to see what these guys can do but I have my reservations that everyone will duplicate last years effort down the stretch. Injuries and off years can come into play and the shine is off of Boo after the first year. I remember Dineen winning the Conference his first year and then coming back the next year and laid a turd. Boo is a demanding guy and a lot of players stepped up and played out of their comfort zone grit wise for him. It remains to be seen if that continues. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Moving McCann would be a mistake. He's on the rise. He had a good season, numbers 5 on 5 are very solid. Borgstrom is a wildcard right now and McCann adds quality depth up the middle in case one of our top 2 centers gets injured. I would be hesitant to move him unless it's part of a package for a legit top 4 D.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Moving McCann would be a mistake. He's on the rise. He had a good season, numbers 5 on 5 are very solid. Borgstrom is a wildcard right now and McCann adds quality depth up the middle in case one of our top 2 centers gets injured. I would be hesitant to move him unless it's part of a package for a legit top 4 D.
Agreed.
I would really like to see him with decent linemates for an extended period of time instead of having his line shuffled constantly and playing with "stars" like Vrbata and Brickley. Also, give him more time on the special teams. We've been leaning way too hard on Barkov for everything; need to ease on that a bit.

Reactions: RainingRats

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
IF Phil Kessel is in play, and that's a big if, we should be all over that. He'd be a fit on either top line, exactly the type of player we need.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
It's been super obvious that we have a logjam at center, I wouldn't be surprised at all if McCann is moved. It's not like we have a ton of trade chips to go around.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It's been super obvious that we have a logjam at center, I wouldn't be surprised at all if McCann is moved. It's not like we have a ton of trade chips to go around.
How do we have a logjam? We have one extra center in Borgstrom who is no guarantee.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
How do we have a logjam? We have one extra center in Borgstrom who is no guarantee.

Yeah and that still gives us 14 forwards. You know Boog is gonna play Haley, so Mamin will be sitting most games again if we're healthy. And are they really gonna scratch the captain every game? I don't think so. They have some things to figure out there. Sceviour ever being healthy scratched is not a good use of an asset.

I don't want them to actively shop McCann, but if the right deal comes along, we should look into it. We should get a nice return for a good young speedy middle six center.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If both are considered centers and they think Borg is ready, then yes, one won't have a spot on the team. MacK is on the fourth whether you like it or not.
Well he may not be ready. Maybe he plays in the AHL? Maybe someone is hurt. Maybe one of the two plays wing.

If one of our top 9 centers gets hurt we suddenly have a depth problem if we move McCann.

Better to have lower expectations for Borg than expect him to come in and play well. McCann was good defensively 5 on 5.

How do we know MacK is back for sure? Tallon said he wants us to get younger.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well he may not be ready. Maybe he plays in the AHL? Maybe someone is hurt. Maybe one of the two plays wing.

If one of our top 9 centers gets hurt we suddenly have a depth problem if we move McCann.

Better to have lower expectations for Borg than expect him to come in and play well. McCann was good defensively 5 on 5.

How are they gonna get rid of Mac?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Buy him out. It wouldn't be the first Panthers captain to be bought out.
Never happen and it shouldn't happen as long as he is healthy. Fans want a 4th line C that can do it all and don't take into consideration his excellent leadership, solid FO's, PK and forechecking ability. He's not perfect but we don't have a better upgrade at the moment. I say he stays and retires with dignity for giving it 110% every shift. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Never happen and it shouldn't happen as long as he is healthy. Fans want a 4th line C that can do it all and don't take into consideration his excellent leadership, solid FO's, PK and forechecking ability. He's not perfect but we don't have a better upgrade at the moment. I say he stays and retires with dignity for giving it 110% every shift. :)
I think those are all up for debate. If we buy him out, it shouldn't be hard to replace him.

His awful PK play to start the season is one of the bigger reasons we didn't make the playoffs.

Reactions: klabob and Beezeral

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
7 forward slots

McCann
Borgstrom
Malgin
Vatrano
Mamin
Sceviour
MacKenzie
Haley
McGinn
That's 9 guys for 7 spots.

It only works if you make Haley and MacKenzie the healthy scratches which we all know isn't happening. The other guys need to be in the lineup.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

IF they feel Borg is ready. If not, different discussion.

And yeah, in a perfect world we have extra depth just waiting in the press box if someone gets injured but that's not realistic.

If there is someone who wants McCann and he can return a more urgent need, he's absolutely getting traded.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
7 forward slots

McCann
Borgstrom
Malgin
Vatrano
Mamin
Sceviour
MacKenzie
Haley
McGinn

It only works if you make Haley and MacKenzie the healthy scratches which we all know isn't happening. The other guys need to be in the lineup.

Tippett is a possibility as well. So 10 guys

Reactions: Beezeral

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
7 forward slots

McCann
Borgstrom
Malgin
Vatrano
Mamin
Sceviour
MacKenzie
Haley
McGinn

Greco and there is always a dark horse that makes a push

Reactions: Beezeral

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If Mackenzie and Haley are playing every game or even a majority of games I’ll be pissed. We have the players to have one of the better 4th lines. Skill speed and energy is needed.

Especially Haley, I don't mind MacKenzie as much although he needs to get to that .53%, preferably .54% win rating at the dot.

But Haley is just useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad