Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Hello Panthers Fans,

Curious Habs fan coming in peace , first I'd like to say that I see great things for your team moving forward and can't wait for it to all come together for you guys. That being said , Habs are in need of skill up the middle and it's no secret. I was wondering with the emergence of Trocheck and the elite skill of Barkov , would you be willing to part ways with Borgstrom for the right price?

Habs currently have an excess of wingers and here is what would make sense from our perspective:

Pacioretty (extended to 7x7.25)
Petry (Top4 RHD)
One of Hudon/Byron

for

Borgstrom
Cap dump that makes this financially viable.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you and all the best in the upcoming season.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
almost nobody here wants Patches because of a contract like that

Nobody wants the 10th best goal scorer since the 2012 lockout? Remind me why Pacioretty is the only player on this list not worth a high end salary?

Alex Ovechkin
Tyler Seguin
John Tavares
Sidney Crosby
Patrick Kane
Jamie Benn
Joe Pavelski
Vladimir Tarasenko
Brad Marchand
Max Pacioretty
Steven Stamkos
Phil Kessel
Evgeni Malkin
Corey Perry

He was actually top 5 before last season , which was clearly an anomaly and would be signed only 250 000 more than Evander Kane. That's fine I get it you guys are tired of seeing his name in proposals , but I honestly think this trades makes your team better.

Best of luck in the upcoming season , you guys have a very interesting team , I hope to see you do well!

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Is it an anomaly or is it because he's hitting the 30 wall hard? It's uncertain and that's why people don't want to pay through the nose for his declining years.

Imo, the most interesting piece in the deal from the Habs is Petry, not Pactch.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Nobody wants the 10th best goal scorer since the 2012 lockout? Remind me why Pacioretty is the only player on this list not worth a high end salary?

Alex Ovechkin
Tyler Seguin
John Tavares
Sidney Crosby
Patrick Kane
Jamie Benn
Joe Pavelski
Vladimir Tarasenko
Brad Marchand
Max Pacioretty
Steven Stamkos
Phil Kessel
Evgeni Malkin
Corey Perry

He was actually top 5 before last season , which was clearly an anomaly and would be signed only 250 000 more than Evander Kane. That's fine I get it you guys are tired of seeing his name in proposals , but I honestly think this trades makes your team better.

Best of luck in the upcoming season , you guys have a very interesting team , I hope to see you do well!
If he’s so worth it, why do you want to trade him for an unproven (if promising) asset?

This is a case of buyer beware, and for one I’m glad that the owners on this end won’t touch that kind of term length.

But since I don’t want to be a jerk, on a 7-year term Pacioretty is worth something like:
- years 1-2: 7.00
- years 3-4: 4.00
- years 5-6: 2.25
- year 7: 1.5

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Is it an anomaly or is it because he's hitting the 30 wall hard? It's uncertain and that's why people don't want to pay through the nose for his declining years.

Imo, the most interesting piece in the deal from the Habs is Petry, not Pactch.

Everyone on the team underperformed (not that they would be good if they all played out of their mind) and he was also injured. So there is no reason to think a perrenial 30-39 goal scorer would suddenly forget how to score goals , all this without a top6 C.

I honestly would keep Pacioretty if we had decent C depth , but the winds of change have come and our captain is our most valuable asset not signed to a beyond terrible deal.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
If he’s so worth it, why do you want to trade him for an unproven (if promising) asset?

This is a case of buyer beware, and for one I’m glad that the owners on this end won’t touch that kind of term length.

But since I don’t want to be a jerk, on a 7-year term Pacioretty is worth something like:
- years 1-2: 7.00
- years 3-4: 4.00
- years 5-6: 2.25
- year 7: 1.5

Habs are desperate for a C and we have an overabundance of wingers , to the point where we have 2 wingers slotted to play C in 2018-2019. Your contract is so below market value , it's absolutely ridiculous and I have no vested interest in overpaying any player. How can you ignore such recent past production? Especially when it comes on a team that can't generate offense and most players traded away suddenly produce more(see: Radulov/Eller and soon Galchenyuk).

Pacioretty isn't worth a blue chip prospect and top pick or anything but him packaged with a top4 D should be worth a solid C prospect. Especially if you look at the even the most fair trades over the past few years.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Habs are desperate for a C and we have an overabundance of wingers , to the point where we have 2 wingers slotted to play C in 2018-2019. Your contract is so below market value , it's absolutely ridiculous and I have no vested interest in overpaying any player. How can you such recent ignore past production? Especially when it comes on a team that can't generate offense and most players traded away suddenly produce more(see: Radulov/Eller and soon Galchenyuk).

I honestly don't hate the deal.

I hate that potential contract.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Alex Ovechkin
Tyler Seguin
John Tavares
Sidney Crosby
Patrick Kane
Jamie Benn
Joe Pavelski
Vladimir Tarasenko
Brad Marchand
Max Pacioretty
Steven Stamkos
Phil Kessel
Evgeni Malkin
Corey Perry

nobody doubts his past production but we don't want a likely very bad contract in the future

Reactions: Ratsreign

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I honestly don't hate the deal.

I hate that potential contract.

I can see that but honestly Pacioretty doesn't have much injury history except for the one freak accident with Chara and he is known for his excellent shape and conditioning. Last season brought down his value for sure but not to the point where he isn't worth playing on a team with a talented C. I can easily see him hitting 35-40 playing with one of your top 2 C.

Panthers have incredible depth at C and could use an influx of talented wingers. This trade accomplishes that while also adding to your RHD depth (Petry is a very solid top4 D). I suppose there is risk in any trade , no such thing as a risk free deal but as far as paying for the potential of your prospect , I feel this deal does that and more.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
One reason I'm not thrilled about giving away our best prospect is that our goalie is old and has been injured for the past few years. I really don't want to send Borg than the season going to shit because Luongo got injured again and this time it's more serious. It'd be really stupid. If it goes well, we'll send you guys a 1st+ at the TDL.

Otherwise, the value isn't bad if Pacth isn't signed to that contract.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Panthers have incredible depth at C and could use an influx of talented wingers.

Vatrano projects to score 20 goals with 3rd line minutes, Tippett looks like another Kessel in the making, Huberdeau scored 69pts, Bjugstad is not first line material but not bad either, just acquired Hoffman, Dadonov is a tough first line dude who scored 28 goals, etc... I think that the gist of all this is that no one isn't denying that Patches is a great player who could score 30-40 goal, maybe even 50 goals who knows... but Bob Boughner has some many options atm and he's pretty good at squeezing a few extra goals and points with changing the line combos, and there's not that much benefit to trade Borgstrom and thensome for extra 10-20 goals while jacking up the cap by $7mil.

Edit: If the Habs signs the guy first for 6 years and then retains like 25% of Patches' salary then that's a pretty good deal. Le Habs ain't gonna be contending for another three years at least in either case with Bergevin at the helm.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
One reason I'm not thrilled about giving away our best prospect is that our goalie is old and has been injured for the past few years. I really don't want to send Borg than the season going to **** because Luongo got injured again and this time it's more serious. It'd be really stupid. If it goes well, we'll send you guys a 1st+ at the TDL.

Otherwise, the value isn't bad if Pacth isn't signed to that contract.

Would adding one of our top goalie prospects rather than Hudon/Byron make a difference in perceived value/risk?

We have Charlie Lindgren (most NHL ready) as well as Cayden Primeau/Michael McNiven which have both serious starter potential.

How the Canadiens stole elite prospect Cayden Primeau in Round 7 - Sportsnet.ca

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Would adding one of our top goalie prospects rather than Hudon/Byron make a difference in perceived value/risk?

We have Charlie Lindgren (most NHL ready) as well as Cayden Primeau/Michael McNiven which have both serious starter potential.

How the Canadiens stole elite prospect Cayden Primeau in Round 7 - Sportsnet.ca
No thanks on your dime a dozen goalie prospects.

Here is my question for you. If the Panthers were going to trade Borgstrom for Patches, why hasn't it happened yet? Why didn't it happen at the deadline so the Panthers could use him for last year's playoff push? Why didn't it happen at the draft? It doesn't matter what we think of the value. The evidence is overwhelming that the Panthers aren't trading Borgstrom for Patches. Besides, if we were going to trade Borgstrom, why wouldn't we be going after a much better player in Panarin? 30 year old wingers don't return top tier center prospects. Sorry you don't like it, but it is what it is.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
No thanks on your dime a dozen goalie prospects.

Here is my question for you. If the Panthers were going to trade Borgstrom for Patches, why hasn't it happened yet? Why didn't it happen at the deadline so the Panthers could use him for last year's playoff push? Why didn't it happen at the draft? It doesn't matter what we think of the value. The evidence is overwhelming that the Panthers aren't trading Borgstrom for Patches. Besides, if we were going to trade Borgstrom, why wouldn't we be going after a much better player in Panarin? 30 year old wingers don't return top tier center prospects. Sorry you don't like it, but it is what it is.

I never said anything about one for one? Perhaps Petry wasn't part of the deal? Bergevin may not have offered anything close to the value offered here? Since when is speculation or events that didn't happen an example of anything?

29 year old wingers with top 10 goal scoring stats and top4 D are a great basis for a strong/blue chip prospect...Have you seen the going rate for point producing RHD?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I never said anything about one for one? Perhaps Petry wasn't part of the deal? Bergevin may not have offered anything close to the value offered here? Since when is speculation or events that didn't happen an example of anything?

29 year old wingers with top 10 goal scoring stats and top4 D are a great basis for a strong/blue chip prospect...Have you seen the going rate for point producing RHD?
he produced points last year for the first time in his career. Maybe playing #1 D minutes and getting #1D PP opportunities had something to do with that. Would be foolish to assume he comes close to 40 points again going back to his #3/4 role and not getting any PP time.

The reality is that the Habs don't have the elite assets necessary to get the Panthers to give up Borgstrom. Their are better players available for the Panthers to chase. Patches turns 30 early november. He's a 30 year old for purposes of this discussion.

The evidence is also overwhelming that players start to decline at 30. Hard pass on paying a scoring winger 7 million AAV until he is 38. That's how small market teams cripple their franchise.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
he produced points last year for the first time in his career. Maybe playing #1 D minutes and getting #1D PP opportunities had something to do with that. Would be foolish to assume he comes close to 40 points again going back to his #3/4 role and not getting any PP time.

Petry's amount of point at 5v5 has been stable for the past few years. The biggest impact it would have is giving us a balance dman that can score about 18 points at 5v5 and be good defensively. He could handle the toughest assignment instead of Ekblad and that might a godsend for Ek.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Petry's amount of point at 5v5 has been stable for the past few years. The biggest impact it would have is giving us a balance dman that can score about 18 points at 5v5 and be good defensively. He could handle the toughest assignment instead of Ekblad and that might a godsend for Ek.
That's fine. He's a solid #4. Don't see that as something to pay a premium for. If the Panthers make the decision to sell their elite prospects, chase elite talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->