Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Rumors in regards to pietrangelo and now krug? Wonder if they’re legitimate or just assumptions. Pietrangelo will cost too much, I thought they wanted to stay away from mega contracts and he could get 9.5-10+per
Krug will at least come in cheaper and if they move Yandle then it’s fine, depending on the aav

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m not totally sold on Krug because he’s gonna be another long term thing, and would FL be about the money for him? (“If I cant get the Cup, I want the dough.”)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Rumors in regards to pietrangelo and now krug? Wonder if they’re legitimate or just assumptions. Pietrangelo will cost too much, I thought they wanted to stay away from mega contracts and he could get 9.5-10+per
Krug will at least come in cheaper and if they move Yandle then it’s fine, depending on the aav
We actually don't know how much AP wants/gets in this environment: in a normal environment, we would not be in the race given the Bob contract. Stl offered 8M a year and he seems willing to take it except for the NMC and signing bonus.

If VV is willing to offered large signing bonus backloaded (which is what AP wants for buyout protection), I could see us (or another team) getting him for 9-9.5

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Unsure who it was but someone from the Hockey Experts mention that Yandle would fit great into Boston, unsure if this still counts or has a bit of truth on it.
But i take everything over Yandle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Krug can play defense

No he can’t.

Which is why Boston is letting him walk

He’s an awesome guy, could wear C on his chest and elite on pp.

Boston needs to upgrade secondary scoring/5on5 play, again letting Krug go is part of reaching those goals

Florida needs to become better defensively, which Krug doesn’t achieve.
You’d set him up for failure with playing a role he shouldn’t be playing

Reactions: I am not exposed

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
No he can’t.

Which is why Boston is letting him walk

He’s an awesome guy, could wear C on his chest and elite on pp.

Boston needs to upgrade secondary scoring/5on5 play, again letting Krug go is part of reaching those goals

Florida needs to become better defensively, which Krug doesn’t achieve.
You’d set him up for failure with playing a role he shouldn’t be playing
This may very well be, but I take him over Yandle every day of the week. He tries on D

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This may very well be, but I take him over Yandle every day of the week. He tries on D

Sure, the question though is can you pay 1st pair money to a guy who isn’t a 1st pair Dman?

Do you think you can still a) add a better LD to shelter him and/or fix the 2nd line?

I don’t think so.

Rather add a defensive guy and put money on that 2nd line

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think signing any big name free agents, UFA or RFA is a terrible move for this franchise right now.

Bringing in more guys on big contracts to "fix the problem" is exactly why we are in this position to begin with. Funny how short some of your memories are.

Do I think the team would be better with Sergachev or Pietrangelo added? Sure. Does it solve the bigger problem that's plagued this franchise and led to them not winning a playoff series for two straight decades? Likely not.

Retool as you must, but I don't see Zito running and jumping to make a splash into free agency like Tallon did last year. Unless he is making direct replacements (ala Krug signs and Yandle is traded for Stepan). That's a move that makes a bit more sense to me, fixes some of the culture and make us better on paper, but do they really need Torey Krug?

It's time we started building players of our own. Develop a core, a culture that breeds success and winning. As others have pointed out here before, that culture can't come from the outside. We've seen time and time again that the band-aid fixes may work in the short term, but long term they do nothing. The culture change HAS TO come from within. If they want to succeed, they have to succeed themselves.

But signing RFA's and giving away crucial draft picks, relying on 30+ year old free agent defensemen to try and win a single playoff series? Pointless. We may as well skip the next decade because we won't be winning one in the 20's either.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think signing any big name free agents, UFA or RFA is a terrible move for this franchise right now.

Bringing in more guys on big contracts to "fix the problem" is exactly why we are in this position to begin with. Funny how short some of your memories are.

Do I think the team would be better with Sergachev or Pietrangelo added? Sure. Does it solve the bigger problem that's plagued this franchise and led to them not winning a playoff series for two straight decades? Likely not.

Retool as you must, but I don't see Zito running and jumping to make a splash into free agency like Tallon did last year. Unless he is making direct replacements (ala Krug signs and Yandle is traded for Stepan). That's a move that makes a bit more sense to me, fixes some of the culture and make us better on paper, but do they really need Torey Krug?

It's time we started building players of our own. Develop a core, a culture that breeds success and winning. As others have pointed out here before, that culture can't come from the outside. We've seen time and time again that the band-aid fixes may work in the short term, but long term they do nothing. The culture change HAS TO come from within. If they want to succeed, they have to succeed themselves.

But signing RFA's and giving away crucial draft picks, relying on 30+ year old free agent defensemen to try and win a single playoff series? Pointless. We may as well skip the next decade because we won't be winning one in the 20's either.
I disagree on Pietroangelo but generally agree with you: we have bigger issues than a single player as we learned with Bob. Most of us thought that goalies were the problem and Bob would fix it.

With it in mind, I do think Pietroangelo could radically change the D: After Ekblad, each player is playing a position up at least: Weegar is more of a 3D than a 2D, Stralman is probably a 4D not a 3D. Signing him could solve it.

But then there is a question of contract value and I think it might help us: right now, prices will be depressed due to the economy, so, in principle, we could try leverage it.

With internal development, the next season will be interesting: after the core pre-2014, Borg, TIppett and Denisenko have all been developed and now will need to transition. If we can hit on two of them, I'd feel better. I'm only anticipating one hit though.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I disagree on Pietroangelo but generally agree with you: we have bigger issues than a single player as we learned with Bob. Most of us thought that goalies were the problem and Bob would fix it.

With it in mind, I do think Pietroangelo could radically change the D: After Ekblad, each player is playing a position up at least: Weegar is more of a 3D than a 2D, Stralman is probably a 4D not a 3D. Signing him could solve it.

But then there is a question of contract value and I think it might help us: right now, prices will be depressed due to the economy, so, in principle, we could try leverage it.

With internal development, the next season will be interesting: after the core pre-2014, Borg, TIppett and Denisenko have all been developed and now will need to transition. If we can hit on two of them, I'd feel better. I'm only anticipating one hit though.
What do you classify as a hit Becuase Tippett will be an nhl player for sure.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What do you classify as a hit Becuase Tippett will be an nhl player for sure.
Not a formal definition, but a player that provides much more than replacement-level output for the position he plays on the team. (or relative to the draft position) For a top 10 draft pick, making it to the NHL team is not necessarily a hit; it's just not a disaster.

For Tippett, a hit would be 25-30 goal seasons more than once. For Deni, I am not sure: he is an enigma. I could see him being the guy that changes the team culture or well busting.

We haven't really "hit" since Trocheck or Weegar below the first round for a player that plays for us. Stillman might be, but we need to wait to see to be honest.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I wonder if Ekblad is moved for a forward. Can't enter 2021 with Yandle, Ekblad and Krug. One of those 2 would have to go 1st. (I don't buy the rumor but there's no chance Florida keeps all 3)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I wonder if Ekblad is moved for a forward. Can't enter 2021 with Yandle, Ekblad and Krug. One of those 2 would have to go 1st. (I don't buy the rumor but there's no chance Florida keeps all 3)
Lol... Ekblad is the best. We could move out Stralman's cap if need be (pay Detroit to take part of it if we want assets) if we had all three.

I just don't think Krug and Yandle make sense on the same team. Sure he is better defensively, but he doesn't fix any of our problems.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

tenor-12.gif

Simply don't sign Krug.
Move Yandle and bring in Dillion/DeMelo etc

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
View attachment 369219

Simply don't sign Krug.
Move Yandle and bring in Dillion/DeMelo etc
I’d love either of them but I can’t imagine Winnipeg not signing demelo. They traded for him at the deadline, they need D, and have the cap space. Unless demelo just doesn’t feel like playing in Winnipeg. And I’m sure gudas walks from Washington which may give them more wiggle room to retain Dillon.

although I’d rather krug over Yandle, idk if it’s the right move. Keep Ekblad, sign/trade for another top pairing D (may not be this offseason). Even with pietrangelo, do they do Weegar and him? Ekblad on the 2nd with someone else? I think he’ll cost too much anyways and I think they’re trying to get away from those sorts of signings but a LD would be better. But krug and Ekblad wouldn’t be the best option either because krug is sheltered offensively and isn’t very good 5v5 from what I’ve read. They could, in that case, keep Weegar and Ekblad together on line 1 and let krug run line 2, say with Stralman. Then trade Yandle for a stop gap 2c. Not the most perfect move but it would put us in a better spot than we were before.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’d love either of them but I can’t imagine Winnipeg not signing demelo. They traded for him at the deadline, they need D, and have the cap space. Unless demelo just doesn’t feel like playing in Winnipeg. And I’m sure gudas walks from Washington which may give them more wiggle room to retain Dillon.

although I’d rather krug over Yandle, idk if it’s the right move. Keep Ekblad, sign/trade for another top pairing D (may not be this offseason). Even with pietrangelo, do they do Weegar and him? Ekblad on the 2nd with someone else? I think he’ll cost too much anyways and I think they’re trying to get away from those sorts of signings but a LD would be better. But krug and Ekblad wouldn’t be the best option either because krug is sheltered offensively and isn’t very good 5v5 from what I’ve read. They could, in that case, keep Weegar and Ekblad together on line 1 and let krug run line 2, say with Stralman. Then trade Yandle for a stop gap 2c. Not the most perfect move but it would put us in a better spot than we were before.
I mean with Pietroangelo you do what Anaheim did back in the day: play both of them 23-25 minutes a game and together in the playoffs if need be. You literally could have one of them on ice for over 80% of the game. Like sign Weegar and try either Stralman/Stillman with him...it's actually a great top 4. Play whoever the other 10 minutes similar to what Nashville does.

Krug for Yandle is fine, but worry about long-term cap implications to be honest.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I agree, got another option for ya.

Ben Hutton had a great year in LA, although they need LD like crazy but he could be a decent signing if no more than 3 years, maybe overpay him for 2 years which allows him to re-up when cap goes back up. He's 27 years old.
Avergaed 16:44 mins of ES, 1:24 of SH, a couple seconds on PP for 18:16 total this past year.

demelo-hutton.PNG

Not overly physical but blocks shots, plays PK and put up decent goals/points (4 goals and 12pts in 65 games), right in line with his usual 3-4 goal/20pt average over his career.

2-3 years x $3 million, he just came of a 1yr x $1.5 million deal.

This type of signing seems more in line for us as a stopgap, doesn't block Gildon/Ludvig/Koly long term. Not in favor of handing out Krug money until Barkov's new deal is figured out or agreed upon.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If we acquire Krug’s rights and sign him, then Yandle is surely out one way or another, whether it’s in the trade with Boston or separately. Boston is actually one team he would probably waive his NMC for, though.

I wouldn’t be against it, we get a younger version of Yandle at probably slightly more $ but at least he’s coming from a winning organization and isn’t a clown.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If we acquire Krug’s rights and sign him, then Yandle is surely out one way or another, whether it’s in the trade with Boston or separately. Boston is actually one team he would probably waive his NMC for, though.

I wouldn’t be against it, we get a younger version of Yandle at probably slightly more $ but at least he’s coming from a winning organization and isn’t a clown.
But he won't make us better defensively, and will definitely be a longer contract. We need less offense from our d-men and more defense for any new additions.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
But he won't make us better defensively, and will definitely be a longer contract. We need less offense from our d-men and more defense for any new additions.

On the surface, I agree, but I think swapping Krug for Yandle makes us better in terms of attitude, culture, respect, etc. This team needs a mental overhaul. Hornqvist was a good start.

If I have to watch Keith Yandle next season, I may lose it. Yeah, sure, he seems like a great dude, but just doesn’t seem like winning hockey games is a big priority in his day to day life. Obviously I have no way of knowing that, but that’s the feeling I get.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean, I can kinda see the angle....Krug is younger than Yandle, and imo better defensively. If we give him 7.5 it isn't that much more than Yandle. He isn't that much older than Huby, he'd have more prime years with our core. Although it does kinda seem like a lot of moving parts around for nothing, it doesn't cost me anything in terms of energy spent. If we move out Yandle, I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad