Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
What's Montreal asking for Max Domi? I know he's similar to Tro, but his skill, speed and grit always seemed more impactful than Vinny since he became a Hab.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Anything less than 8 million is getting instantly matched.
Which is fine, it makes things harder on tb either way. They’ll try to bridge him, if we can force them into signing him at that amount instead? Great. If they don’t match and we get him? Great. Seems like a win/win

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I’d give Bobby Ryan a shot, I think he would be a decent fit on this team.
He doesn't exactly add much of the character that Zito wants. Isn't that why he was the one Anaheim shipped in the first place, despite being the most skilled on that team?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Which is fine, it makes things harder on tb either way. They’ll try to bridge him, if we can force them into signing him at that amount instead? Great. If they don’t match and we get him? Great. Seems like a win/win
I agree 100%

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
What about Mikael Granlund on a short deal? Not the grit we need but could replace Dadonov (not the goal scoring tho)

UFA market for centers is horrible. Granlund is a winger eventho listed as C many places

We need a 2nd line center badly and I think that has to come threw trade
Sign Hoffman?
Dadonov is he's willing to take short term same money or Granlund
Revamp the D. Get an assistant coach that knows something about defense

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I brought this up a couple months ago, but I wanna bring it up again. What are our thoughts on the potential to offer sheet Sergachev? and if so, how much would you go?

I imagine they do everything they need to to retain him, but if someone comes with a strong offer right at the beginning of free agency and tb has yet to dump some of their other contracts, do they match and figure it out later? Idk. You wouldn’t get a D at his age (21), at his skill level, at anything cheaper than unrestricted free agency pricing (trouba got 8per, Id imagine serg would get high 6’s to low 7’s), and you only lose at most a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in next years draft.

then flip Yandle for a stop gap center, that money would still be spent but on a position we need a stop gap in anyways plus Yandle would become redundant at that point (serg, Ekblad, weegar being the offensive ones) and we don’t have to worry about his “defense” anymore, removing him and matheson both.

obviously a big what-if, but a legit option and either way would put a divisional rival in a tough spot if they do match

Ya Serg or Cirelli would be a dream.
$6.544 mil x 5 years would be the 1st and 3rd threshold. Takes them to free agency right around 27-28 years old and allows Serg to be a top pairing LD and Cirelli to be a 2C, again both things TB can't offer.

Both aren't likely to get that type of money in TB and they may be more open to it after they win a Cup this tonight

Anything less than 8 million is getting instantly matched.

How does it get matched instantly at $8mil? Thy currently have $5.3 mil in space and you only get a week to match so that doesn't leave a lot of time to move out Killorn or whoever to free up cap plus still re-signing Cirelli, Cernak and other cheap league minimum depth players.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
What about Mikael Granlund on a short deal? Not the grit we need but could replace Dadonov (not the goal scoring tho)

UFA market for centers is horrible. Granlund is a winger eventho listed as C many places

We need a 2nd line center badly and I think that has to come threw trade
Sign Hoffman?
Dadonov is he's willing to take short term same money or Granlund
Revamp the D. Get an assistant coach that knows something about defense

I'd go after Stepan. Arizona desperately needs cap space and he has only a year left, I could see him rebounding on a contract year in another place. Buy low scenario.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
How does it get matched instantly at $8mil? Thy currently have $5.3 mil in space and you only get a week to match so that doesn't leave a lot of time to move out Killorn or whoever to free up cap plus still re-signing Cirelli, Cernak and other cheap league minimum depth players.

iirc teams can be 10% over the cap ceiling in the off season but they have to be under it when the reg season begins.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
iirc teams can be 10% over the cap ceiling in the off season but they have to be under it when the reg season begins.
This and you can be damn sure that Briesbrois is already working the phones on deals that clear up cap space to sign both Cirelli and Sergachev. They are absolutely vulnerable right now, but sending an offersheet that is in the 6 million range for sergachev and/or the 4 million range for Cirelli is doing Tampa a favor like Montreal did with Aho last year. You have to send offers that will hurt them to match.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

What if two teams send in a OS for either of them at same time putting them at $13mil or more combined and that's right around the 10% overage no?

~$13 mil - $5.3 mil in current space = $7.7 to 8 mil over.
$8.1 mil would be max overage no?

Make them sweat Zito, make them sweat.
Id offer Serg ~7mil x 5 years. Its a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in compensation.

Reactions: FrolikFan67

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This and you can be damn sure that Briesbrois is already working the phones on deals that clear up cap space to sign both Cirelli and Sergachev. They are absolutely vulnerable right now, but sending an offersheet that is in the 6 million range for sergachev and/or the 4 million range for Cirelli is doing Tampa a favor like Montreal did with Aho last year. You have to send offers that will hurt them to match.

The only movable contract is Killorn. They probably have to sweeten the deal with something and that something is imo actually the focal point of discussion. Killorn was on his way to best season so far in his career but that came at the cost of neglecting the defensive duties. If I had to guess Briesbois modified his usage in the lineup to accomplish a very nice looking stats sheet for him so that teams would be inclined to overlook his overall game and the fact that his best days might be behind him.

Edit: ofc, they try to get players waive their NTCs so they'll probably get one from there as well but it's a crapshoot because there's very little reason to waive because Tampa would like to keep all of them if there wasn't any cap concerns.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
What if two teams send in a OS for either of them at same time putting them at $13mil or more combined and that's right around the 10% overage no?

Tier for 1st + 2nd + 3rd: "$6,544,641 - $8,726,188". Probably should offer him $6-6.5mil considering that he's still primarily utilized in the o-zone, against low QoC and thus his defensive capabilities are uncertain. If the winning ticket will pay $7-8mil per then from a risk mgmt point of view it isn't worth it.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

If not an offer sheet Z should get creative with the cap space. Take on a bad contract, it's going to be worth gold for some teams in trouble.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tier for 1st + 2nd + 3rd: "$6,544,641 - $8,726,188". Probably should offer him $6-6.5mil considering that he's still primarily utilized in the o-zone, against low QoC and thus his defensive capabilities are uncertain. If the winning ticket will pay $7-8mil per then from a risk mgmt point of view it isn't worth it.

Weegar - Ekblad
Serg - Stralman
Stillman - Keeper

Gildon/Ludvig/Koly come in when Stealman is gone. Get it? STEALman, stole 16 mil from Tallon

would be a solid young defense for the next 4-5 years. 7mil is high but probably what it'd take to get him to sign. An extra 3rd shouldn't scare us away.
recoup some 2021 mid picks for Yandle.
Weegar can go back to RD if you Serg and Ekblad fit together. Stillman and Weegar would be a nice 2nd pair if Stilly can improve.

If not an offer sheet Z should get creative with the cap space. Take on a bad contract, it's going to be worth gold for some teams in trouble.

Ya for sure, depends on which way we go next year. Open to both ideas as long as its a 1 year retool.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Get it? STEALman

giphy.gif

If Zito is good with the numbers then we'll probably get an answer soon enough. I just think that if the Cats need to solidify the defense in this off season then Serg could turn out to be a risky bet in that regard because as far as I know he isn't used against opponents' top lines.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If we were to attempt to sign him it’d be for the purposes of pairing him with Ekblad on the 1st, id imagine. It’d be good to have the depth, but if he doesn’t handle a lot of d zone starts and if there’s a worry there then idk if they’d try. But he’s still just 21, you can ease him into that. I don’t think you’ll get a D of that caliber, at that age, at any less of that price, while still only giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Worst case scenario is tb matches and they’re in an even tougher spot

I wouldn’t feel comfortable offersheeting Cirelli. If you do you go after the bigger fish and thatd be serg

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
giphy.gif

If Zito is good with the numbers then we'll probably get an answer soon enough. I just think that if the Cats need to solidify the defense in this off season then Serg could turn out to be a risky bet in that regard because as far as I know he isn't used against opponents' top lines.

tallon.jpg
I'll give you 5 years x 5 mil to laugh at my jokes.

He wouldn't have to eat up a ton of defensive minutes with Ekblad, Weegar and Stralman here. Stillman, Koly and Ludvig block him as well.

He doesn't see DZ mins with Hedman, McD and Cernak right now. Itd help replace some points if Yandle was moved though.

Ekblad - 50-55pts if given more PP time

Serg - ~45pts (he was 2nd best PP defenseman behind Hedman, had 5 goals and 15 PP points avergaing 1:52 in PP time)

Weegar - ~30pts

Stralman - 20 to 25pts

Reactions: FormerPantherFan

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
If we were to attempt to sign him it’d be for the purposes of pairing him with Ekblad on the 1st, id imagine. It’d be good to have the depth, but if he doesn’t handle a lot of d zone starts and if there’s a worry there then idk if they’d try. But he’s still just 21, you can ease him into that
I would expect a pairing with Stralman, who could work as a poor man's Shattenkirk. The problem with offer sheets is that it has to be an overpay to not get matched, and overpays will hurt eventually. Possibly immediately if the player doesn't perform as well in the new environment with a contract that says he has nothing left to prove.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I would expect a pairing with Stralman, who could work as a poor man's Shattenkirk. The problem with offer sheets is that it has to be an overpay to not get matched, and overpays will hurt eventually. Possibly immediately if the player doesn't perform as well in the new environment with a contract that says he has nothing left to prove.
I’d probably offer between 7-7.5 for 7yrs, I think anything over 8 would be overpaying but if he were a ufa today I think he easily gets 7per

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I’d probably offer between 7-7.5 for 7yrs, I think anything over 8 would be overpaying but if he were a ufa today I think he easily gets 7per
There are few teams with two defensemen making $7M+. Pretty much only the Sharks, and it hasn't turned out great for them.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Weegar - Ekblad
Serg - Stralman
Stillman - Keeper

Gildon/Ludvig/Koly come in when Stealman is gone. Get it? STEALman, stole 16 mil from Tallon

would be a solid young defense for the next 4-5 years. 7mil is high but probably what it'd take to get him to sign. An extra 3rd shouldn't scare us away.
recoup some 2021 mid picks for Yandle.
Weegar can go back to RD if you Serg and Ekblad fit together. Stillman and Weegar would be a nice 2nd pair if Stilly can improve.

Ya for sure, depends on which way we go next year. Open to both ideas as long as its a 1 year retool.

Take a guy like Stepan, I think he would be fine as 2C here. He's playing 1C in Arizona and if obviously over his head but as 2c? AZ starving for cap space and would probably just like to dump him. He could be a good stop gap and not only a bad contract.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
There are few teams with two defensemen making $7M+. Pretty much only the Sharks, and it hasn't turned out great for them.

The price in itself ain't the issue. The issue is that GMs do not ask themselves what they are paying for aka little to none due diligence upon purchase.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Take a guy like Stepan, I think he would be fine as 2C here. He's playing 1C in Arizona and if obviously over his head but as 2c? AZ starving for cap space and would probably just like to dump him. He could be a good stop gap and not only a bad contract.

Ya check the main board trade thread I made, he's an option for a 1 yr cap dump if we re-tool.
His caphit is big but only owed $2mil in salary, would be an ideal stopgap and allow Borg to play some sheltered 3C mins. Wallmark to 4C and Acciari moves up the RW side as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad