Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
There are def GMs who would absorb Yandle into their roster like I've previously stated here but I'm pretty sure NJD is way down on that list. GMs don't take on hefty contracts like Yandle's got just for the sake of it, they gotta see that there's something in Yandle's play that they could use in their lineup and in that regard Yandle is kinda redundant case when they have Subban already. Therefore, teams that need passing ability in the backend and improved PP could use Yandle.
I know they wouldn’t add him for no reason. Just bringing up the same things as LA: cap space, need for LD and veterans, but I agree having subban already does make him a little redundant. Then again, la still has doughty. So I don’t think that would be the singular thing from a team stopping them or not

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I know they wouldn’t add him for no reason. Just bringing up the same things as LA: cap space, need for LD and veterans, but I agree having subban already does make him a little redundant. Then again, la still has doughty. So I don’t think that would be the singular thing from a team stopping them or not
The Devils have bigger issues on D though. Subban, Yandle, Butcher, and Severson would be the most generous top 4 in the league.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
canuck fan here in peace. is there any actual credible reporting suggesting ekblad is available? i keep hearing his name thrown around but i can't logically see why you guys would do that except to cut salary to the bone.
Unless you call a Vancover reporter for the Athletic throwing darts against the wall credible, then No. There's nothing to these reports. Nevermind that Vancouver can't put a realistic package together that get's Panthers attention without including Hughes or Petterson which is obviously not happening.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Oilers insider Bob Stauffer said on air today that he's hearing rumors that Ekblad might be available. What would you expect in a trade for him?
Yeah: we don't buy it: this contradicts Zito's response and what we have heard from local reporters; most likely Zito is listening to offers (which means available), but is not trading him bar an extreme overpayment (as it said)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Huberdeau isn't moved this year and we don't re-sign Dadonov.
Sounds like Friedman said Math for Horn is unlikely now, here's my pitch to move Yandle
Haven't checked the capspace if we can fit/re-sign Hoff if we do following deals.
Feel like we can if Viola will spend.

TRADE 1)
Kick the tires on Saad (1 yr x $6 mil in cap and salary) *modified NTC - 10 teams wishlist*
Q knows him, he needs a new deal so you can use him for that, if he wants to stay, offer him a deal, (career highs of 52-53 pts) which shouldn't cost a lot even though he's still relatively young, turns 28 next month.
If we're out of the race, retain him down to half and recoup some assets.

Pretty much a lock for 20 goals and 40ish points but majority will be even strength, he has 5 SHG the past two seasons.
He plays comparable ES mins and total TOI to Dadonov the past two years.
He isn't overly physical but durable, very good takeaway/giveaway ratio.

He is usually pinned in the DZ, feel he's actually better than Dadonov defensively.
Z/We can weaponize our cap space, they need relief, take the full cap/salary for a lower cost.
Send Sceviour (1yr x $1.2 mil in cap and salary) + a couple 3rds (one of our 2020 3rds + 2021 3rd), one becomes a 2nd if he re-signs OR hits 20g/45-50pts.

We add $4.8 million in cap and salary
IN: Saad
OUT: 2020 3rd, 2021 conditional 3rd, Sceviour

TRADE 2)
Turn around and offer up Yandle for Kulak + 2nd + Alzner

Kulak has decent defensive metrics. Played 17 mins of ES past two years, Yandle played 18:30 and 16 mins past two years respectively.

Alzner got a $1.5 mil SB this year, owed $1.5 mil rest of this year and owed $3 mil total next year.

We ship out $13.2 million in Yandle
We take in $8.6 million total
but Alzner's buyout isn't that bad to be honest.
That's if bought out this June (think buy-out window is coming soon?)
The big dead cap hits would be gone by the year Barkov is due his big raise
alzner-png.368622

We save $4.6 million in total salary which basically pays for the year of Saad.
We save still save 500k this year in cap buying out Alzner + Kulak's cap
We save $2.54 mil in cap space next year buying out Alzner + Kulak's cap

IN: Kulak, Alzner, 2020 2nd
OUT: Yandle

Saad adds $4.8 mil in cap -500k difference in Yandle trade = $4.3 mil added cap for next year
Leaves us with around $16 mil to re-sign Weegar, Saarela, Wallmark, Borgstrom, Pysyk and maybe Hoff?

Re-signings:
Weegar - $3.5 mil x 3-4 years
Saarela - $1 mil x 1 year
Wallmark - $1.5 mil x 2-3 years (coming off 700k pay day this past year, averages around 25pt past two years)
Borgstrom - Saarela deal
Pysyk - 850k x 2 years (replaces Sceviour)
Hoffman - $6.25 million x 4 years

=$14.1 million in total cap for those 6 guys. Not sure if Viola will spend to cap again.

1- If following roster doesn't work next year (playoffs), don't re-sign Saad, move Kulak and keep promoting prospects.

2- Consider moving Huberdeau with 2 full years left and hopefully one of RNH/Danault make it to free agency, use most of Huberdeau's money out to sign one of them.

*We gain $2.5 mil in cap from Alzner's dead cap dropping + Demers retention being done*

Huberdeau - Barkov - Tippett (PLY - TWF/PLY - SNP)
*Saad* - Borg/Saarela - Hoffman (TWF - PLY - SNP)
Vatrano - Saarela/Borg - Connolly (SNP - PLY - SNP)
Wallmark - Acciari - Pysyk (GRITTTTT)

Weegar - Ekblad (DFD - TWD)
*Kulak* - Stralman (DFD - DFD)
Matheson - Keeper/Stillman (TWD - DFD)

Bob
Judge

Feel free to point out if my math is off or missed something, this is assuming we are trying to compete next year.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
No cookie?
That center depth is atrocious, even with Cookie. I think Acciari and Wallmark could handle the bottom two lines, but then need a real 2nd line center.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No cookie?
That center depth is atrocious, even with Cookie. I think Acciari and Wallmark could handle the bottom two lines, but then need a real 2nd line center.

HTF did I forget him?

Took Hunt out, shifted Wallmark to LW and put Cookie as 4C, he can work up the lineup, slide Wallmark back to C if Borg/Saarela need time off.

Lines can be moved around, not even scared to use:

Barkov
Acciari
Saarela/Borg
Wallmark

for the C depth as well.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
HTF did I forget him?

Took Hunt out, shifted Wallmark to LW and put Cookie as 4C, he can work up the lineup, slide Wallmark back to C if Borg/Saarela need time off.

Lines can be moved around, not even scared to use:

Barkov
Acciari
Saarela/Borg
Wallmark

for the C depth as well.
Eh, if we want to rebuild, sure. But if we do that, I think we trade Barkov or Huberdeau.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Eh, if we want to rebuild, sure. But if we do that, I think we trade Barkov or Huberdeau.

Well ya the hope is you draft a C with 12th who takes over for Borg/Saarela or you see if one of RNH/Danault make it to free agency in 2021.

It's more of a re-tool with a chance of a playoff run but can easily be dismantled if you're out quick enough by selling Saad and moving Kulak.

No way does Z go out homerun swinging, making huge deals this off-season.
Ships some long term money out and gives you ability to use cap space to add more assets if you sell at deadline.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That is depressing. Acciari as 2C. Yikes!

Truth is, we won't be a competitive team in one off-season.
We will have to spread the thin peanut butter as far as we can.
Basically an open audition for the 2020-21 season, unless long shot of trading for a 2C.
Don't see Haula being worth the money on a 3+ year deal, fine if it's 1-2 years sub $3 million.

Anyway you draw it up, we will either lack at 2C or likely have the same exact defense minus one of Yandle/Math/Stralman or both.
Everything points to us/Z competing as a playoff team come the 2021-22 season and beyond.

1- nail these next 2 drafts, 2020 and 2021 will hopefully stock the cupboards long term (better drafting AND development)
2- Lock up Barkov, see which way Huberdeau is leaning, if he's fine with a down year ahead and on board with Z's plan ahead

3- don't block the nearing prospects with big free agent additions, could add some solid pieces if Huberdeau is moved. We will get to see a ton of prospects come in and audition over next two years.

4- after expansion draft, make one/two of the 2022-24 1sts available for one good trade of need (top 6 C/top 4 D)
5- make one solid depth signing (2021/2022) and get this thing headed in the right direction

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Basically an open audition for the 2020-21 season, unless long shot of trading for a 2C.
Don't see Haula being worth the money on a 3+ year deal, fine if it's 1-2 years sub $3 million.

Anyway you draw it up, we will either lack at 2C or likely have the same exact defense minus one of Yandle/Math/Stralman or both.
Everything points to us/Z competing as a playoff team come the 2021-22 season and beyond.

1- nail these next 2 drafts, 2020 and 2021 will hopefully stock the cupboards long term (better drafting AND development)
2- Lock up Barkov, see which way Huberdeau is leaning, if he's fine with a down year ahead and on board with Z's plan ahead

3- don't block the nearing prospects with big free agent additions, could add some solid pieces if Huberdeau is moved. We will get to see a ton of prospects come in and audition over next two years.

4- after expansion draft, make one/two of the 2022-24 1sts available for one good trade of need (top 6 C/top 4 D)
5- make one solid depth signing (2021/2022) and get this thing headed in the right direction
I don't think Barkov re-signs though if we go this strategy. Why would he?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah, I see it pretty much the same way. I've been thinking the last couple days too...Zito may lean towards drafting Schneider because he's likely nhl ready in 1 year or less. Stralman will definitely be moved next offseason with only 1 year left. The blueline could be overhauled in 2 years. If Zito can get a 2nd line center by that time, this thing could turn around quickly.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think Barkov re-signs though if we go this strategy. Why would he?

If you mean Huberdeau, I agree.
If you mean Barkov, take a lap or two.

Don't see why one year (two drafts) would be a huge issue if he's on board with a giant payday and well laid out plan from Z.
Flat cap for at least 2-3 years, he loses the option of 8th year in free agency.
We have some good pieces on the way, and he won't want a big market spotlight.
Seems loyal (first one to text new GM) and just named Captain 2 years ago.
Zito will get him inked, we can do a friendly bet? :dunno:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah, I wouldn't count on that!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Please let them find a way for this trade to go through:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Hornqvist
???-???-Tippett
???-???-Denisenko
???-???-Acciari

RW would be fine. The remaining spots are fluid as I could see any of those guys moved (Connolly, vatrano, Wallmark, etc). Most likely Wallmark would at least be the 4th center. Bring in a Matt martin or maroon type guy for the 4th opposite of Acciari.

removing matheson is addition by subtraction. Our defense is sick and the first step is removing the metaphorical cancer. Matheson out, and even if Yandle isn’t removed just keeping him on the 3rd with Stralman and limit his 5v5 time and just contribute on the pp, still want him moved but matheson would be the huge one if we can move him. Weegar could stay with Ekblad on the first, and sign one reasonable D for the 2nd line, potentially see what the market is of the 12th oa, could get another 2nd pairing guy (unlikely, we’ll most likely keep it, but there’s options)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Where's he gonna go? He doesn't like the spotlight. He'd get picked apart in Canada or in a Northeast city. So Fla is perfect for him.

If you mean Huberdeau, I agree.
If you mean Barkov, take a lap or two.

Don't see why one year (two drafts) would be a huge issue if he's on board with a giant payday and well laid out plan from Z.
Flat cap for at least 2-3 years, he loses the option of 8th year in free agency.
We have some good pieces on the way, and he won't want a big market spotlight.
Seems loyal (first one to text new GM) and just named Captain 2 years ago.
Zito will get him inked, we can do a friendly bet? :dunno:

Why would a top young centerman stay here and make money when it's clearly not working. If he's not signing, we trade him and probably some other team can give the extra year.

Mark freaking Stone has more success in Ottawa than Barky has experienced here and it's not his fault or the core's fault: they're the best players in franchise history to play their positions and have put up the best numbers w.r.t. Barkov and Huberdeau.

I'll gladly take this best conditional on the team taking your strategy @TheImpatientPanther. I just think ZIto will try to get some success and not rely on 2 rookies who aren't even are top 3 prospects for our top 3 centers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad