Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ottawa fans seem to be keen on Stepan+future 2nd for Tierney. I’d be all over that personally.
I guess you would?? Ottawa fanatics they were. Vancouver Fanatics were calling for Green to be fired this week. Sillies everywhere.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'll give Chayka one more chance even though I HATED that he traded Strome, Domi and the 2017 1st.

I like the way he's drafted and he's made some good trades too (like Hjalmarsson, Crouse and Keumper). I didn't like the Kessel trade but I respected the Hall trade. It's been a mixed bag of results from a trigger happy teenager who thinks he knows it all.

I have no doubt that he'll fire Tocchet this summer. He understands self preservation. There's a real possibility that the new coach gets better results from a similar roster. It doesn't take a genius to send Kessel to the press box and give Garland his minutes. I guess this is where I'll hang my hopes. Oh, and the draft lottery, I still have hope for that.

Reactions: MIG and cobra427

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Stepan+2021 2nd for Tierney

Kessel+Oesterle for Yandle

Goligoski for Foligno

Buyout Grabner. Sign Barrie and Hoffman and Soderberg and Eakin.

Hoffman-Dvo-Schmaltz
Keller-Tierney-Garland
Crouse-Hayton-Stroza
Soderberg-Eakin-Foligno
Fischer

Chych-Barrie
OEL-Demers
KY-Hjalmmer
Soderberg

Kuemper
Raanta

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If rumor is true and josh Anderson is available this summer, he would be the first person I look at after signing Hall.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t think there’s any chance we sign Hall. Maybe if we agree to got 10% higher than the best AAV he gets offered on the market and agree to an 8th and a full NMC for all 8 years? Maybe? With the favorable tax and cost of living situation that would be a huge bump from a Canadian off or a Long Island offer or whatever.

Still, I doubt it...

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don’t think there’s any chance we sign Hall. Maybe if we agree to got 10% higher than the best AAV he gets offered on the market and agree to an 8th and a full NMC for all 8 years? Maybe? With the favorable tax and cost of living situation that would be a huge bump from a Canadian off or a Long Island offer or whatever.

Still, I doubt it...

My hope is that his girlfriend reeeeaally likes living in Scottsdale and gets in his ear big time about staying. That’s pretty much our ace in the hole at this point. That and Chayka and Meruelo have to be charismatic sons a bitches...

Reactions: cobra427

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
My hope is that his girlfriend reeeeaally likes living in Scottsdale and gets in his ear big time about staying. That’s pretty much our ace in the hole at this point. That and Chayka and Meruelo have to be charismatic sons a bitches...

Just give him his own sandwich named for him at all Chayka owned Wendy’s, plus a pizza named for him at Meruelo’s chain.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What are opinions on Hayton's play so far? Is he at least playing a bigger role lately? 4 points in 20 games is not exactly confidence-inspiring for a future #1 C.

He's stuck with Kessel and Phil's bullshit deployment, except without the PP time. So he has zero chance to shine. Garland also magically and mysteriously finds himself stuck in this same situation for no reason whatsoever. Just casually wasting the team's leading goal scorer, no big deal.

Tocchet comes up with the dumbest lineups and then proceeds to be terrible at line matching and deployment during games. It's infuriating.

Reactions: MIG and Fuhrious

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Offer Hall whatever he wants. Ask future Captain, Matthews to sell him the house for dirt cheap. Helps Halls last set up whatever small business she wants to start. Give them free pest control for the duration of the contract. Make that woman fall in love with this place.

Once the contract is signed, fire RT and the entire staff. I mean scorched earth firing. Fire Howler too.

Trade Stepan to Ottawa. Trade Goligoski to f***ing Siberia. Send Kessel to Wakanda. It’s a fictional place and Phil deserves to go somewhere that we should never see or hear from him again.

I think Grabner is LTIR. I do think there is more to this story than any of us realize. I said in a different thread I think his playing days are over in the NHL. I hate to be right and I hope I’m wrong. Or the Coyotes are just f***ing Pejorative Slured. Either way, replace him with a tough guy.

Trade Vinnie for a tough guy.

Hire Gallant or Lavi. Let them bring in their own guys.

Reactions: Muppet

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
think Grabner is LTIR.

His 5on5 goals per 60 are one of the highest on the team. Plus he has elite speed and is great on the PK...even if not scoring shorties.

He should be playing.

upload_2020-3-8_8-42-19.png

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Just to be clear - I hated acquiring Stepan when the cost was a 7 OA pick but I do not want to trade him away now that his value has tanked. We need C depth and that's what he brings. He also brings a casual work effort, which goes against what we need from our veteran leadership, so the new coach will need to make it clear to everyone that Stepan is not part of the veteran leadership. He is just an overpaid depth C.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
You guys like Hall just because he is somehow fresh to your eyes. Imagine that Hall is already here for many years and posting his current numbers (0.79 ppg) on a big contract in a season like this - he would be blamed as others.

I do not use filters. I don't mind that Hall was 1'st OV or League MVP - that all in past. I see a player with athletic frame, good speed, good work ethic, but average shot, poor decision making. His influence on Coyotes game is very low, and his stats are very moderate.

Ray Whitney at age of 38 had way much more influence on Coyotes game than Hall at 28. The Wizard posted 77 pts in 82 games (0.93 ppg), elevated this team to WCS, elevated his partners (Vrby with 35-goal season).

It's weird to me to read something like "let's get to the playoffs and win 1 round to appeal Hall and make him happy".
Why not to say:
"Hey, Taylor, please score couple more goals in a crucial games, finally capitalize on couple f***ing breakaways you, Taylor, have almost in every game, take us to the playoffs, and then all money of the world are yours".

I still think we must stay away from Hall and his new big bucks contract. Pour money in Hall would be mistake. Keep that Coach in purpose to keep Hall would be a disaster.

Reactions: Fuhrious

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
You guys like Hall just because he is somehow fresh to your eyes. Imagine that Hall is already here for many years and posting his current numbers (0.79 ppg) on a big contract in a season like this - he would be blamed as others.

I do not use filters. I don't mind that Hall was 1'st OV or League MVP - that all in past. I see a player with athletic frame, good speed, good work ethic, but average shot, poor decision making. His influence on Coyotes game is very low, and his stats are very moderate.

Ray Whitney at age of 38 had way much more influence on Coyotes game than Hall at 28. The Wizard posted 77 pts in 82 games (0.93 ppg), elevated this team to WCS, elevated his partners (Vrby with 35-goal season).

It's weird to me to read something like "let's get to the playoffs and win 1 round to appeal Hall and make him happy".
Why not to say:
"Hey, Taylor, please score couple more goals in a crucial games, finally capitalize on couple f***ing breakaways you, Taylor, have almost in every game, take us to the playoffs, and then all money of the world are yours".

I still think we must stay away from Hall and his new big bucks contract. Pour money in Hall would be mistake. Keep that Coach in purpose to keep Hall would be a disaster.

Hall is like pretty much every player...who you surround him with matters. Good coaches build lines that maximize talent. Here are Hall's linemates for his even-strength goals:

Hall-Dvorak-Kessel - 1
Hall-Dvorak-Keller - 1
Hall-Dvorak-Garland - 6

I'm no coaching genius, but don't stop doing what is working.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
You guys like Hall just because he is somehow fresh to your eyes..

This is an interesting point. I think the big difference between the two shiny new objects the team has - Kessel and Hall - and why many of us love Hall is because he looks like he gives a sht. He works his ass off in all zones and tries to make something happen. He may not be producing at a rate we want him to, but seeing that work ethic - especially compared to others - makes it more forgivable.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
This is an interesting point. I think the big difference between the two shiny new objects the team has - Kessel and Hall - and why many of us love Hall is because he looks like he gives a sht. He works his ass off in all zones and tries to make something happen. He may not be producing at a rate we want him to, but seeing that work ethic - especially compared to others - makes it more forgivable.

Correct. Hall is pissed he's not performing up to HIS standard. I don't get the feeling Kessel cares. He probably does, but sure doesn't show it.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Correct. Hall is pissed he's not performing up to HIS standard. I don't get the feeling Kessel cares. He probably does, but sure doesn't show it.

The problem is that Kessel’s response to struggling is to be self deprecating and sulk around the ice letting off lame duck wristers. It’s very apparent watching him play that he has zero confidence. Another problem is that the people you hang out with start to rub off on you after a while whether you realize it or not...and he hangs out with the young guys a lot. Toc thought he would be a good influence helping these guys deal with pressure and keeping them relaxed and having fun, but I think Kessel being around these guys is actually backfiring in a big way and having a net negative affect. I thought some of the concerns out of PIT with him hanging out with guys like Guenztel was overblown and silly, but I am started to understand the problem now. Chayka got played hard.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
What’s the deal with Grabner? Did I miss something as to why he’s scratched every night? He hurt? Piss someone off? I don’t get it?

I’d rather have him in than a few other guys. Where’s Fischer? He gone to? We have had the same line up the past month or so. That’s not normal?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
What’s the deal with Grabner? Did I miss something as to why he’s scratched every night? He hurt? Piss someone off? I don’t get it?

I’d rather have him in than a few other guys. Where’s Fischer? He gone to? We have had the same line up the past month or so. That’s not normal?

According to this 3-week old article, they are just healthy scratches.

“It’s not necessarily that guys are playing bad,” coach Rick Tocchet said. “Obviously, there are things they can do better, but it’s just a numbers game sometimes. And sometimes, those evaluations are on a day-to-day basis.”

Michael Grabner, Christian Fischer and more: The life and...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I've been asking this too. No idea why Grabner isn't playing. Yeah they weren't scoring short handed goals at the same rate they were before his injury but that was to be expected. You'd think if the eye was bothering him enough to keep him out of the lineup they'd put him in IR and let insurance pay some of his salary. We're not scoring and it's not like any player replacing him on this roster is going to change that. I'd rather double down on defense and "sacrifice" any improved offense Hino might bring, which I believe is next to none.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I see a player with athletic frame, good speed, good work ethic, but average shot, poor decision making. His influence on Coyotes game is very low, and his stats are very moderate.

This is unfortunately true...but I truly believe if we could fire our damn coach, Hall and many other talented players on this team would be doing much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad