Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka has built a soft roster mentally and physically from the Captain on down. Toughness doesn't fit into his analytics but you'd think a coach that was all about skill with physicality would be the perfect buffer to make sure the roster isn't too soft. Nope, quite the opposite. I swear it's the mild winters that soften all of our athletes. Even Tocc is a powder puff now. I hate the makeup of this team. Seems they continue to want to make it hard as hell to be a fan.
Are you saying OEL is soft? OEL is the only player we have that combines physicality and talent and plays the hardest position in hockey.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Are you saying OEL is soft? OEL is the only player we have that combines physicality and talent and plays the hardest position in hockey.
There’s a lot more too it than that. When OEL is engaged, which is only occasionally, he’s not soft. He plays a hard, formidable game then. But most of the time he’s quietly invisible. Most of the time he doesn’t seem to be engaged at all. Your description of him is quite accurate for the player he once was but no longer is.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
D have their best years later than forwards. Coaching could be part of the reason OEL has fallen off so much. The only way to know is if we have another coach, with an NMC and his contract versus his play, we own him. Keep in mind Tocc waited a year to make him the captain, and I wonder if that effected OEL negatively. The rift could be there.

Name one player, other than Kuemper, who has played better under Tocc than they did with another team?
Was DT still here when we traded for Kuemper? OEL and Gogo gets too much hate on these boards.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wonder if we could have got Yandle and Trochek for OEL and Stepan?
There was a piece with Friedman on Hockey Central yesterday where he talked about Floruda not believing this current group can get to the next level and he thinks they will make massive changes this summer if they dont make playoffs. I'm really bad at trade proposals but wonder if something around OEL and Ekblad could 'be the right change of scenery for both??

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There was a piece with Friedman on Hockey Central yesterday where he talked about Floruda not believing this current group can get to the next level and he thinks they will make massive changes this summer if they dont make playoffs. I'm really bad at trade proposals but wonder if something around OEL and Ekblad could 'be the right change of scenery for both??

Tallon's been told to cut $10 million from expenses. Don't think they're going to take on OEL's contract.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

That's really interesting. I mentioned it yesterday but feel like we have a window to make this type of trade with OEL and it's pretty much this offseason. He could very well bounce back, but if he keeps slumping he loses a ton of value. I'm pretty up for betting that he doesn't turn it around for the majority of what's left on his contract and try to grab a younger piece that has upside but probably signed a large contract too soon.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I hate Goligoski so much. Him and Stepan and Kessel are everything that is wrong with this team.
Goose has had a good year, Stepan is fading in production but the rest of his game is still solid. Agree on Kessel, he went off a cliff this year. Kessel/OEL's salary versus expectations and their current production is what has killed us this year. They should have been our 2 best players.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Going back to Florida and their desire to cut money, could a deal be done around a couple of our older guys with decent Cap hits but big signing bonuses to kinda change course a little while freeing up some cash?? Thinking guys going out between OEL, Kessel, Stepan, and Goose. Maybe a return around Ekblad and/or Yandle to try to restart the group?? Picks and roster players/prospects as needed for each side.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Well.... maybe human after all.

BUT WAIT!!!!

I thought I read that he's close and could potentially play, but if he re-aggravates it, he's going to be out the remainder of the season. So they're likely to make him sit this road trip to ensure he's here for the final, final stretch.

rt

May 13, 2004
I would think Ekblad is worth a heck of a lot more than OEL. He's huge, he's a RHS, he's 3.5 years younger, he's outscoring OEL by 12pts this season, he's a former 1st overall pick, he's a little bit cheaper, and he'll be 29 when his deal expires in 5 years rather than 34 like OEL when his contract expires in 6 years.

I just really can't see Florida thinking OEL is close to Ekblad in terms of trade value. Maybe OEL++ for Ekblad or Yandle++ for OEL?

I know that Quenneville loves Hjalmarsson. How does he feel about Yandle? Would Florida consider Hjalmarsson and upgrade on Yandle? Could OEL+Hjalmarsson for Ekblad+Yandle get us closer to making OEL for Ekblad fair? I still think we'd have to add a ton. Wonder if they'd like Kessel or Stepan more than Connolly? Would we retain 50% on one or the other and get Connolly thrown in? Would they see that as a benefit or not?

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

#1 He's a diver, therefore his teammates don't respect him.
#2 He starts shit he can't finish and since his teammates don't respect him, he gets zero help.

He's still a talented player. Horrible captain. I think taking the C away from him would be good for him and the team. Then if Chych1 could stay healthy, he'd push OEL to be better which again would be good for both him and the team. But I won't cheer for him until he stops diving. Just can't stomach that shit.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I hate Goligoski so much. Him and Stepan and Kessel are everything that is wrong with this team.
I can't argue that you shouldn't hate them, but Goligoski and Stepan are decent players. They could be way better if they cared more but they're still reasonably effective.

Then there's Kessel.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can't argue that you shouldn't hate them, but Goligoski and Stepan are decent players. They could be way better if they cared more but they're still reasonably effective.

Then there's Kessel.
Gogo is having a career like season playing second pairing. Sure he makes mistakes, like every other player, but overall you can't ask more of him. Stepan is fine as a 3 C, but RT keeps on trying to play him as our 1C and that is not fair to him, as he looks way out of place, so we all think he doesn't care, but it's the lack of talent compared to his opposition. While at 3C Stepan is fine, but you can't have your 3C with a 6.5 mill. cap hit. Then there's Kessel.

rt

May 13, 2004
If you are Chayka and you have a deal on the table from some team to get a 3rd rounder for Goligoski and an offer from Florida to do Yandle for Stepan; do you pull the trigger?

We suddenly become free of Stepan’s CapHit and we replace Goligoski with Yandle and get a 3rd for the trouble.

I hate the extra years remaining on Yandles deal but seems like quick way to free up 5.5m without impacting the performance of the roster very much. Or I guess more like 4m, given that we’d have to find a guy who can play C well in his own zone and PK. Shouldn’t cost more than 1.5m.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yandle has fallen off considerably. Florida's offense is pumping his numbers a bit as well. Better guy in the room than Stepan and Goose combined but it's still a risk.

Standing pat gives more flexibility long term. I can see Chayka exploring OEL and Raanta trades but little else at this point. Kessel might only be willing to move if Tocchet is fired.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’d probably keep Raanta if Hall is leaving. If Hall stays, I’d look to move him. If we aren’t bringing in a 10M forward, I’d rather keep the overpriced back-up and the insurance he provides.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I’d probably keep Raanta if Hall is leaving. If Hall stays, I’d look to move him. If we aren’t bringing in a 10M forward, I’d rather keep the overpriced back-up and the insurance he provides.

There's $9m coming on the books next year and that's without signing anyone. Raises to Kuemper and Keller kick in. Only Soderberg and Richardson are expiring.

Something has to give.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There's $9m coming on the books next year and that's without signing anyone. Raises to Kuemper and Keller kick in. Only Soderberg and Richardson are expiring.

Something has to give.
Cap going to between $84-$88M. So a gain between $2.5M-$6.5M.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Going back to Florida and their desire to cut money, could a deal be done around a couple of our older guys with decent Cap hits but big signing bonuses to kinda change course a little while freeing up some cash?? Thinking guys going out between OEL, Kessel, Stepan, and Goose. Maybe a return around Ekblad and/or Yandle to try to restart the group?? Picks and roster players/prospects as needed for each side.

Something surrounding OEL and Huberdeau would be nice.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
#2 He starts shit he can't finish and since his teammates don't respect him, he gets zero help.

He's still a talented player. Horrible captain. I think taking the C away from him would be good for him and the team. Then if Chych1 could stay healthy, he'd push OEL to be better which again would be good for both him and the team. But I won't cheer for him until he stops diving. Just can't stomach that shit.

You living in Colorado and smoking the leaf? That would be the only reason for this terrible take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad