Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
While I agree that there has been poor cohesion on the PP (OEL has not looked good), swapping Stepan out would help fix that IMO. I don't think there's ever been a time where I thought Keller and Stepan had chemistry together. It seems like they've been on the same line a lot over the last year and it's never really worked. I don't know what he contributes to the PP either, he's very avg offensively, avg at FOs. Dvorak has 67% at faceoffs to start this year and is a more creative player. Give him a shot on the first unit. He's had some good moments with Schmaltz this year and Keller last.

I'd try,

Keller-Dvorak-Kessel
Schmaltz-OEL

If we're against a heavier team go with

Crouse-Dvorak-Kessel
Keller-OEL
Swap Kessel and Keller if that works better, I think Phil may have played a "D" spot on the Pens PP....

Crouse would be our version of Hornqvist on the PP. Presence in front of the net and wouldn't let anyone, particularly Keller, get bullied on the boards. Losing battles in the O zone and turning it over has been a problem...

It's a coaching issue, not a personnel issue. Often the 2nd unit looks better than the first. As they've added more talent, they've looked worse.
I have been saying for the last year, and most flammed me for it, but Stepan on the PP has not worked for over a year. Last year, RT was dead set on having Stepan, Fischer and Panik on the PP. Those three got a total of five pts. on the PP for the entire year. This year Stepan is getting the same PP time, and I understand that to a certain extent as he was not to bad two years ago, but Fischer who is fighting just to stay in the line up is getting more PP time than DVO and Garland.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have been saying for the last year, and most flammed me for it, but Stepan on the PP has not worked for over a year. Last year, RT was dead set on having Stepan, Fischer and Panik on the PP. Those three got a total of five pts. on the PP for the entire year. This year Stepan is getting the same PP time, and I understand that to a certain extent as he was not to bad two years ago, but Fischer who is fighting just to stay in the line up is getting more PP time than DVO and Garland.
Nothing has worked on the PP for over a year, not just Stepan. DVO/Richardson are likely not improvements, so Tocc doesn't use them. Hayton could be an improvement, lets see if he gets minutes. Look, with OEL/Keller/Kessel and schmaltz, we have plenty of talent to have a decent PP, they all have to step up and make plays. Its really not Stepans job to be the leader on the PP. If stepan gets pulled off the PP and we get more PP points, you'll be right. until then, I don't think he is the problem, I think it is cohesion as a unit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nothing has worked on the PP for over a year, not just Stepan. DVO/Richardson are likely not improvements, so Tocc doesn't use them. Hayton could be an improvement, lets see if he gets minutes. Look, with OEL/Keller/Kessel and schmaltz, we have plenty of talent to have a decent PP, they all have to step up and make plays. Its really not Stepans job to be the leader on the PP. If stepan gets pulled off the PP and we get more PP points, you'll be right. until then, I don't think he is the problem, I think it is cohesion as a unit.
Cohesion shouldn't take over a year with basically the same personal. DVO/Richardson are likely not improvements? Maybe not, but RT has never put them in that situation to find out. Hayton could be an improvement? He has played two games, how the hell does anyone know if he is an improvement, but I will tell you, if RT doesn't like DVO or another C, I'm all for trying Hayton there. If Stepan's job is not to be a leader on the PP, why is RT giving him more TOI than any other forward on the PP? For this team to make the playoffs, our PP has to be around the middle of the pack, not near the bottom like we are currently. I guess it might be to early to panic and we had a few more chances than normal last game, but close only counts playing horse shoes.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That’s bogus....

We had stretches where the PP was working great. That’s not saying it doesn’t need work. But it’s getting rather annoying when people keep pushing the notion that nothing has worked when there were obvious times when it did.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Coyotes (0-9), NJ (0-15), Anaheim (0-10) and Ottawa (0-12) are the only teams that have not scored a PP goal. My money is on the Yotes to be the last one to get one.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Cohesion shouldn't take over a year with basically the same personal. DVO/Richardson are likely not improvements? Maybe not, but RT has never put them in that situation to find out. Hayton could be an improvement? He has played two games, how the hell does anyone know if he is an improvement, but I will tell you, if RT doesn't like DVO or another C, I'm all for trying Hayton there. If Stepan's job is not to be a leader on the PP, why is RT giving him more TOI than any other forward on the PP? For this team to make the playoffs, our PP has to be around the middle of the pack, not near the bottom like we are currently. I guess it might be to early to panic and we had a few more chances than normal last game, but close only counts playing horse shoes.
Faceoffs, that is likely why he leads in TOI. Stepan isn't a driver, you know that. Kessel is a new piece and Schmaltz was out most of the year. They started looking better last night on the PP. Stepan can do his job and not get many PP points. The PP needs Keller/OEL/Kessel to step up, I would blame them way more then Stepan at this point, but its early, so I won't, it needs cohesion.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Coyotes (0-9), NJ (0-15), Anaheim (0-10) and Ottawa (0-12) are the only teams that have not scored a PP goal. My money is on the Yotes to be the last one to get one.
It's disappointing as a Yote fan but appalling if you're a Devil's fan. They were a trendy pick for a huge turn around this year and certainly a solid chance they still do it but what a horrendous start!

Reactions: Jakey53

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Like I said in my post before Dvorak has a higher faceoff percentage than Stepan this year. Dvorak is supposed to be a center of the future for us, why not give him a shot on the first unit? Maybe if we give Dvorak a shot at a bigger role he'll take it and run with it. So far this season, Dvorak looks to have progressed and Stepan looks about the same as last year.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No back door plays, no net presence to redirect shots, poor board play to regain control of pucks. Those issues are independent of scheme. That’s why I think that we need different players rather than a change in coaching or in scheme.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That’s bogus....

We had stretches where the PP was working great. That’s not saying it doesn’t need work. But it’s getting rather annoying when people keep pushing the notion that nothing has worked when there were obvious times when it did.
Is it? Making nice passes is one thing, but scoring is quite the other. It may look better, but it has not produced as of it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Like I said in my post before Dvorak has a higher faceoff percentage than Stepan this year. Dvorak is supposed to be a center of the future for us, why not give him a shot on the first unit? Maybe if we give Dvorak a shot at a bigger role he'll take it and run with it. So far this season, Dvorak looks to have progressed and Stepan looks about the same as last year.
Bingo!

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think Kessel should removed from the top PP unit...

Keep Keller and Schmaltz together as they have pp chemistry

Put Kessel with guys that dont over think it and keep it simple

That's where Kessel excels on the PP

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Is it? Making nice passes is one thing, but scoring is quite the other. It may look better, but it has not produced as of it.

I realize how convenient it is to ignore the fact that there were stretches last year where the PP was clicking. Well enough to where there were complements about it in some of the GDTs.

I didn’t say the PP didn’t need work did I??

What I did say was that just blowing off what success they did have shouldn’t be ignored.

But you go right ahead and keep ignoring.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I realize how convenient it is to ignore the fact that there were stretches last year where the PP was clicking. Well enough to where there were complements about it in some of the GDTs.

I didn’t say the PP didn’t need work did I??

What I did say was that just blowing off what success they did have shouldn’t be ignored.

You are the one ignoring THE FACTS.. Last year our PP was ranked 26th. This year we are ranked 29th. with Kessel. What ever stretches you are talking about last year sure weren't long enough. I think it was Del that said we were 0-30 in the preseason. If we don't get the PP going, we won't be a playoff team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You are the one ignoring THE FACTS.. Last year our PP was ranked 26th. This year we are ranked 29th. with Kessel. What ever stretches you are talking about last year sure weren't long enough. I think it was Del that said we were 0-30 in the preseason. If we don't get the PP going, we won't be a playoff team.

I said AT TIMES, Jakey..... reading comprehesion is your friend... or you can ignore that too.

I've also not said anything about this is year in regards to it, have I??? It's only four games in (preseason doesn't mean crap IMO because we used a lot of players that wouldn't be on the regular roster).

At least you finally are beginning to half-***-idly admit that I wasn't talking nonsense. Progress.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

We should have given that 2014-15 team another shot at redemption. After all, they did have 24 wins that season. Can't ignore the undeniable success that year...

We're 0-12 on the PP since Galchenyuk scored in April. If you add the 0-30something in the seven preseason games, that's probably pushing a 0-50 streak.

If you want to feel good about a brief good stint sometime in 2018 or early 2019, go for it.

Meanwhile, since 2017-18 when Tocchet took over, the PP is dead last in the league with a 16.3% conversion rate. I guess, "it needs some work" may be an understatement of sorts...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Faceoffs, that is likely why he leads in TOI. Stepan isn't a driver, you know that. Kessel is a new piece and Schmaltz was out most of the year. They started looking better last night on the PP. Stepan can do his job and not get many PP points. The PP needs Keller/OEL/Kessel to step up, I would blame them way more then Stepan at this point, but its early, so I won't, it needs cohesion.
Everyone on the #1 PP has to take blame. They are put out there to do one thing. The last 90 games they have not done their job well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Everyone on the #1 PP has to take blame. They are put out there to do one thing. The last 90 games they have not done their job well.
No kidding, really:) My point is the 4th or 5th best player on the PP (Stepan) isn't the difference maker, the top 3 need to get it going: Kessel/Keller/OEL. I don't see Stepan making mistakes or turnovers on the PP. Maybe Hayton will help though.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
No kidding, really:) My point is the 4th or 5th best player on the PP (Stepan) isn't the difference maker, the top 3 need to get it going: Kessel/Keller/OEL. I don't see Stepan making mistakes or turnovers on the PP. Maybe Hayton will help though.

Idk... the whole point of the PP is that you have 1 extra person compared to the other team... so having one guy not doing his job kind of defeats the advantage you should have.

I do agree EVERYONE on the PP needs to get it going, especially top 3. But I think that it's important that all the players have to be good or the advantage is moot.

My problem with Stepan on the PP is that I can't really say what he's good at in that situation. He's not good at puck hounding/retrieval, he doesn't stand in front of the net and cause issues, and he isn't an amazing shooter or passer. So what is his role on the PP supposed to be really? IF it's just faceoffs... he should take it and get off the ice then for a different player? Also, is he good enough at them to warrant that?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
We should have given that 2014-15 team another shot at redemption. After all, they did have 24 wins that season. Can't ignore the undeniable success that year...

We're 0-12 on the PP since Galchenyuk scored in April. If you add the 0-30something in the seven preseason games, that's probably pushing a 0-50 streak.

If you want to feel good about a brief good stint sometime in 2018 or early 2019, go for it.

Meanwhile, since 2017-18 when Tocchet took over, the PP is dead last in the league with a 16.3% conversion rate. I guess, "it needs some work" may be an understatement of sorts...

Didn’t say anything about feeling good about it.

Just pointed out that exaggerating reality to make some sort of statement is unnecessary.

Just like what you’ve done above.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We are worst in the NHL in PP% since the Tocchet hire. How is that "exaggerating reality"? Perhaps you have some alternative facts, you can share? Maybe we're not hovering around 0-50 on conversions since the preseason? Can you show me a box score since early last April that has a Coyotes PPG on it?

It's not all on Tocchet or the staff, but it's definitely clear that whatever they are doing "needs some work" because it is still costing us games despite having more "talent" on the team.

Standing around with no movement, taking unobstructed perimeter shots out of frustration, and getting outhustled to loose pucks isn't a winning strategy. I'd hope two months is enough for the staff to make an adjustment and get through to the players. Or maybe we need new staff and/or new players.

Frankly, I'm not enamored with our roster makeup or the personalities on it. I'm definitely not headover heels for the coaching staff either.

But at what point can we say it isn't working and dismiss the small stretches last season where it did? It's apparently not when it's last place in the league over the past three seasons, so it has to have some threshold when the small stretches it was working stops being relevant. When is that? 0-100 this year? 6-200? How about year eight of powerplay ineptitude? Will we be allowed in three years to ignore the small stretches where the power play didn't look like complete ass to make the point that it sucks without you dragging up some game where we were 2-3 or a week where we hit 25% amidst our 16% overall conversion rate? Can we ignore that then as evidence that things have looked okay "over stretches? "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad