Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
If Schmaltz is that rusty, send him to Tucson for a rehab stint. I cannot stress this enough: we cannot afford to dig a hole again early in the season. I don't care what Tocchet says about wanting these guys to feel pressure. With a new owner and our arena situation still in flux, we've got to have success this year.

Morgan quoted Schmaltz as needing to regain his feel for the speed of NHL players' sticks on the ice. If that's an accurate assessment by the player and coaching staff, it might be the case that the AHL is too slow of a league for him to regain that, and so he's just going to have to work through it in the NHL.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Morgan quoted Schmaltz as needing to regain his feel for the speed of NHL players' sticks on the ice. If that's an accurate assessment by the player and coaching staff, it might be the case that the AHL is too slow of a league for him to regain that, and so he's just going to have to work through it in the NHL.
There is no way Tocc will convince Chayka to send his Multi year $6 million dollar player to the AHL for any reason.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Good post. You’re on fire, man.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

The Ducks-game was really slow if you ask me. Absurd how the Ducks are undefeated.

The Boston game was really, really good though. Also for the Yotes-players, even if it was a 1-0 loss.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I liked the lines Tocc rolled last night.

Keller-Stepan-Kessel is a real NHL 1st line

Hayton-Dvorak-Schmaltz has a lot to prove but I think they are plenty skilled enough to be a proper 2nd line.

Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza was super effective last year.

Garland-Soderberg-Fischer is a pretty good pile of leftovers. I think Garland can play up in the lineup if someone gets injured and then Crouse fits well in his place.

rt

May 13, 2004
I liked the lines Tocc rolled last night.

Keller-Stepan-Kessel is a real NHL 1st line

Hayton-Dvorak-Schmaltz has a lot to prove but I think they are plenty skilled enough to be a proper 2nd line.

Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza was super effective last year.

Garland-Soderberg-Fischer is a pretty good pile of leftovers. I think Garland can play up in the lineup if someone gets injured and then Crouse fits well in his place.
I like this one:

Keller-Stepan-Kessel
Hayton-Dvorak-Schmaltz
Crouse-Soderberg-Garland
Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza
Fischer

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I like this one:

Keller-Stepan-Kessel
Hayton-Dvorak-Schmaltz
Crouse-Soderberg-Garland
Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza
Fischer
It seems like those lines work, at least for now. I think its interesting that Keller is solid enough on D that he and Kessel can stay on the same line. I also agree, if Crouse is healthy, I think Fischer sits.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You guys should try Garland in the top 6; he seems underrated.
He is. But he represents a small sample size, too. He and Crouse looking like real NHL players were two of the highlights last year.

His biggest problem right now is we have a lot of undersized one-dimensional wingers, so bunching them all together is probably not a recipe for success. I prefer him to Schmaltz, though. But we just traded Strome for him and immediately handed him a big contract. They're going to give him every opportunity to get his game going before giving that ice time to a 5th rounder on his ELC in his first fill year. Just the way it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You guys should try Garland in the top 6; he seems underrated.

His mobility/seek and destroy attitude works well with Soderberg, which gives the Coyotes 3 offensive lines that can threaten to score. Fischer is the weak part of that line, he will probably sit after his stupid blind pass on the PP.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His mobility/seek and destroy attitude works well with Soderberg, which gives the Coyotes 3 offensive lines that can threaten to score. Fischer is the weak part of that line, he will probably sit after his stupid blind pass on the PP.
The question I have is why is Fischer on the PP? He didn't produce there last year and he doesn't deserve to be there. Last game, I believe it was Garland and DVO where the only two players with no PP time, yet Fischer was out there. Garland had two goals, was playing very well, and DVO was playing well also, yet Fischer was getting PP time ahead of those two.

rt

May 13, 2004
Garland should be tried as the the PP net front presence. I know the impulse is to put a big guy there instead of a tiny guy. But Garland already scores all of his goals the dirty way and already crashes the net.

Even when the game was bigger and nastier there were still some guys who could crash the net and screen the goalie despite their small sizes. It ground them down to nothing and they hf short careers. But they were very productive early. I’m thinking of Marek Svatos and Petr Prucha and even Mike Comrie during a particular stretch.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
The question I have is why is Fischer on the PP? He didn't produce there last year and he doesn't deserve to be there. Last game, I believe it was Garland and DVO where the only two players with no PP time, yet Fischer was out there. Garland had two goals, was playing very well, and DVO was playing well also, yet Fischer was getting PP time ahead of those two.
I think both top units sucked so tock tried something different.. I think he was only there once

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think both top units sucked so tock tried something different.. I think he was only there once
It's good that RT is finally trying something different on the PP, because last year was a disaster and he played the same players over and over, but Fischer has no business to be on the PP unless he is the last man standing. Only three players had more PP time than Fischer in the Vegas game. I guess there thinking is that Fischer can be a net presence, but so can Garland. Garland is a pest, goes to the net.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah I agree ... I am hoping they can pckg 36 and 33 for a scorer
Winnipeg seems like a good candidate. Their defense is deplorable. But they’re also a good example to highlight why such a trade is going to be tough to pull off. The likes of Perrault and Lowry aren’t so much better than Fischer that it’s worth the trouble. Ehlers is too good.

So which team is thin on D and has a winger that’s maybe 25-50% better than Fischer?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's good that RT is finally trying something different on the PP, because last year was a disaster and he played the same players over and over, but Fischer has no business to be on the PP unless he is the last man standing. Only three players had more PP time than Fischer in the Vegas game. I guess there thinking is that Fischer can be a net presence, but so can Garland. Garland is a pest, goes to the net.
3 games into the season only, patience:) Our PP needs Keller/Kessel/OEL to produce, add any parts to them.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Garland should be tried as the the PP net front presence. I know the impulse is to put a big guy there instead of a tiny guy. But Garland already scores all of his goals the dirty way and already crashes the net.

Even when the game was bigger and nastier there were still some guys who could crash the net and screen the goalie despite their small sizes. It ground them down to nothing and they hf short careers. But they were very productive early. I’m thinking of Marek Svatos and Petr Prucha and even Mike Comrie during a particular stretch.
Garland's strength is his shiftiness. I don't want him parked in front of the net - he's gonna get pancaked. I want him to dart in for rebounds and loose pucks. I want Fischer parked in front of the net. Even with his bad hands, pucks should bounce off of him and into the net.

rt

May 13, 2004
Winnipeg seems like a good candidate. Their defense is deplorable. But they’re also a good example to highlight why such a trade is going to be tough to pull off. The likes of Perrault and Lowry aren’t so much better than Fischer that it’s worth the trouble. Ehlers is too good.

So which team is thin on D and has a winger that’s maybe 25-50% better than Fischer?
If Bryan Rust wasn’t hurt, he’d be a good candidate. Bryan Little, too. Does this package and a plus get us a sniff at Zucker? Maybe Craig Smith in Nashville?

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would still like to get Kadri. If the price is fair. He's better than most of our forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad