Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Would Fischer and Raanta get us Kadri? I have to think that the pressure is on Toronto to fix their net issues. I was listening to that last game against Tampa Bay and it was like TB was playing pond hockey with 7 goals.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
It's still too early in the season to talk about trading a goalie. Raanta needs to get some games in. Comrie needs to be sent down for a conditional stint. Injuries need to happen ( other teams, not us).
Keep an eye on NJ, would love to add Hall. Columbus is using 2 backups, but Josh Anderson is out with a shoulder injury and I doubt they'll move Seth Jones. Wennberg, maybe, but then why? Not a need.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Comrie was brought in for a purpose. Even if we let go of Hill we remain stocked at the position without Comrie. I have to think that the Coyotes are going to be dangling a goaltender.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
When was the last time a goalie was moved for a quality roster player?

If we trade Raanta midseason at best it will be for a 2nd or an asset of equivalent value. If a teams trading for a goalie they're doing because they think that's the missing piece to their team taking the next step. We wouldn't be getting a Hall or Kadri.

Raanta provides good insurance if Kuemper is injured or has a bad stretch. A Raanta trade will only help us in the offseason when we can use that money on a different position.

Reactions: Jakey53

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
My thinking is to use Raanta to upgrade a position. .: Raanta & Fischer for Josh Anderson.
Or to be included with a conditional pick and roster player(s) for a rental, Hall (who we may convince to re-sign). I don't see any reason to just trade Raanta by himself for futures.
I've also been thinking about moving Lyubushkin to the 'Peg so he can pair up with Kulikov. He is not being utilize here, RFA at the end of the season and 27yo the next season.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
If Bryan Rust wasn’t hurt, he’d be a good candidate. Bryan Little, too. Does this package and a plus get us a sniff at Zucker? Maybe Craig Smith in Nashville?

Ooh Zucker would be great..

Make it happen Chayka.

Goligoski and Fischer and ? (2nd)

For Zucker and ?

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
My thinking is to use Raanta to upgrade a position. .: Raanta & Fischer for Josh Anderson.
Or to be included with a conditional pick and roster player(s) for a rental, Hall (who we may convince to re-sign). I don't see any reason to just trade Raanta by himself for futures.
I've also been thinking about moving Lyubushkin to the 'Peg so he can pair up with Kulikov. He is not being utilize here, RFA at the end of the season and 27yo the next season.

I sure dont want to trade Raanta .....yet

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
3 games into the season only, patience:) Our PP needs Keller/Kessel/OEL to produce, add any parts to them.
I don't mind giving Fischer a chance this year to rebound from last year, but he has no business to be on the PP. He was there all last year with no results so I see no need to repeat our mistake again. Also, the only reason I would give Stepan a chance on the PP this year is because he was pretty good two years ago, but his leash should be short.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We have to get another PP weapon ASAP.

Looking at the last four seasons combined, names that are not likely to be totally untouchable:

4. Hoffman
5. Benn
8. Simmonds
10. Hornqvist
11. Palmieri
42. van Riemsdyk
44. Okposo
46. Henrique

...if you filter by just two seasons or three, Cam Atkinson and Jason Zucker appear bear the bottom of the list.m, too.

So maybe those are 10 names worth considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also noticed that Drouin is shockingly high among forwards in PPP over the last few years. Ranks 30th. Kessel ranks 2nd.

depressing to see Galchenyuk so high on these lists too. I still wish so much we could have swing that deal without him involved. Oh well. Tocchet seemed to have zero trust in him anyway. But still. We need another credible threat on the PP. we need someone that PKs see as a a goal scoring option other than Phil. His being the only piece worth worrying about isn’t working. He needs another option out there to buy himself time and space.

wish we got hoffman when we had the chance.

PP1:
Hoffman-Schmaltz-Keller
OEL-Kessel

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We have to get another PP weapon ASAP.

Looking at the last four seasons combined, names that are not likely to be totally untouchable:

4. Hoffman
5. Benn
8. Simmonds
10. Hornqvist
11. Palmieri
42. van Riemsdyk
44. Okposo
46. Henrique

...if you filter by just two seasons or three, Cam Atkinson and Jason Zucker appear bear the bottom of the list.m, too.

So maybe those are 10 names worth considering.
I think Hornqvist, JVR, and Okposo would be the easiest to obtain. I wouldn't want any of their contracts.

Hoffman would cost too much, and I don't think Florida would want to move him.

I think our issue on the PP is at C, and maintaining possession in the offensive zone. I wonder how Hayton would do at C. Or try Dvo instead of Stepan. Maybe see how Crouse does in front of the net and on the forechek.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think Hornqvist, JVR, and Okposo would be the easiest to obtain. I wouldn't want any of their contracts.

I think our issue on the PP is at C, and maintaining possession in the offensive zone. I wonder how Hayton would do at C. Or try Dvo instead of Stepan. Maybe see how Crouse does in front of the net and on the forechek.
I think our PP trouble is lack of cohesion. With Kessel/OEL/Keller/Schmaltz, we have plenty of PP skill now. Stepan isn't the problem, Crouse isn't the solution, but Hayton could help us. It was starting to look better last night, timing is just off at different times. It will start working better, then away we go. I don't think it is a personnel issue, just some timing and execution.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'd like to see the following on the PP...

Keller - Soderberg - Kessel - OEL - ?
Crouse - Dvo - Hinostroza - Chychrun - ?

Try Garland - Hayton - Schmaltz - Oesterle - ? if one of the above falls flat

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Could not agree more. I know I sound like a broken record, but Stepan, again, had the most TOI of any forward. He had the most PP TOI of any forwards, tied with Kessel and Keller. Last game Fischer was on the PP, then scratched the next game. If Housley is running the PP, he's not much better than MacLean. I know it's only three games and our PP looked a bit better but still had goose eggs.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
While I agree that there has been poor cohesion on the PP (OEL has not looked good), swapping Stepan out would help fix that IMO. I don't think there's ever been a time where I thought Keller and Stepan had chemistry together. It seems like they've been on the same line a lot over the last year and it's never really worked. I don't know what he contributes to the PP either, he's very avg offensively, avg at FOs. Dvorak has 67% at faceoffs to start this year and is a more creative player. Give him a shot on the first unit. He's had some good moments with Schmaltz this year and Keller last.

I'd try,

Keller-Dvorak-Kessel
Schmaltz-OEL

If we're against a heavier team go with

Crouse-Dvorak-Kessel
Keller-OEL
Swap Kessel and Keller if that works better, I think Phil may have played a "D" spot on the Pens PP....

Crouse would be our version of Hornqvist on the PP. Presence in front of the net and wouldn't let anyone, particularly Keller, get bullied on the boards. Losing battles in the O zone and turning it over has been a problem...

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's a coaching issue, not a personnel issue. Often the 2nd unit looks better than the first. As they've added more talent, they've looked worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad