OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not everyone in health is actually intelligent.
Remember....somewhere in the world is the worst doctor.
If she doesn't think it's a crisis...I've got a bridge for her.

It just so happens everyone that doesn't agree with your position are the ones that aren't intelligent I guess?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It just so happens everyone that doesn't agree with your position are the ones that aren't intelligent I guess?

Didn't say that now did I. But the numbers are going up... especially in SD...but it's not a problem. That's idiocy no matter whether I agree with it or not.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So sorry...HE still doesn't get to decide by himself what is and isn't a crisis.

Didn't say that now did I. But the numbers are going up... especially in SD...but it's not a problem. That's idiocy no matter whether I agree with it or not.

That's why you should read past a headline.

He's the CEO of a hospital system. The quote is in reference to his hospital system.

"At this point, we feel we’ve got this under control," Krabbenhoft said. "There’s not a crisis."

Is he not qualified to speak on the preparedness of his hospital system?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
That's why you should read past a headline.

He's the CEO of a hospital system. The quote is in reference to his hospital system.

Is he not qualified to speak on the preparedness of his hospital system?

I read the entire article and I think he's wrong.
As someone who actually has COVID...I think I can speak on that.
I think anyone who doesn't take this seriously in any case...should shut the F up.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I think anyone who doesn't take this seriously in any case...should shut the F up.

i dont think anyone here, or in a heath organization isnt taking this seriously. I just think there are different views, on the best way to approach dealing with it. This isnt the first worldwide health crisis.. spanish flu for instance

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Got it. You think you know how well equipped Sanford Health is to handle the surging Covid cases better than the CEO of Sanford Health.

I hope you feel better soon.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Got it. You think you know how well equipped Sanford Health is to handle the surging Covid cases better than the CEO of Sanford Health.

I hope you feel better soon.

When you stop putting words in my mouth...I'll respond again. SD is being overrun...but don't worry guys...the CEO sees no problem.
The CEO who isn't a doctor and says since he already had it...he doesn't need to wear a mask.
Nope...not listening to that guy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was in Fargo when Sanford took over Meritcare. He is a for profit guy. Apparently he wanted to get into the U of MN Hospitals years ago, and they nixed it, even though he waved around a lot of money.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Looks like men everywhere should be at the forefront of social distancing and mask wearing, and should line up in droves to get vaccinated...

More info...

Addressing male sexual and reproductive health in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak
Despite being a trivial matter for patients in intensive care units (ICUs), erectile dysfunction (ED) is a likely consequence of COVID-19 for survivors, and considering the high transmissibility of the infection and the higher contagion rates among elderly men, a worrying phenomenon for a large part of affected patients.
Endothelial dysfunction, subclinical hypogonadism, psychological distress and impaired pulmonary hemodynamics all contribute to the potential onset of ED. Additionally, COVID-19 might exacerbate cardiovascular conditions; therefore, further increasing the risk of ED. Testicular function in COVID-19 patients requires careful investigation for the unclear association with testosterone deficiency and the possible consequences for reproductive health.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It's very simple and obvious that wearing masks and keeping a distance from others will prevent the spread of Covid.

Lol...no its not. Not at all. That's why in the beginning the same people who are now shrieking about wearing masks said that masks did nothing.

So...that's a bull---- statement, with all due respect.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Denying that droplets spread this disease, and that masks, and distance, help prevent said spread, is baffling, and nonsensical. The vast majority of medical people have been taking these steps far before anyone had heard of Covid whenever they encountered a contagious situation. My wife wears a mask when she is examining someone who might have the flu, for instance, and always has. This is basic Medicine 101. There have been SARS epidemics in recent memory where masking and quarantine/distancing were the first lines of defense against spread. Ebola, too, as well as virulent flus.

What is your expertise and training in infectious diseases that allows you to contradict common medical practice?

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Lol...no its not. Not at all. That's why in the beginning the same people who are now shrieking about wearing masks said that masks did nothing.

If you are going to make a claim that mask do nothing I’d like you to post some evidence.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

If I recall correctly, they made that claim, in the beginning, to prevent people from hoarding masks and the like so the healthcare workers would get the supply. They still didn’t have enough.

I don’t agree with the tactic but it’s easy to see the rational when you look at what people did with toilet paper.

“Buy when there’s blood in the streets”

But please post scientific evidence that masks don’t work. Not that they might not work. That they don’t work. If you can muster that up from a credible source I will rethink my views. Until then, you’re spreading conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
i understand people not wanting to wear a mask. I don't like wearing one. I understand that wearing one for long periods of time at work, or because of a family/living situation, is stressful.

I have zero sympathy for those who put others at risk by refusing to wear a mask when they are out in public and in close proximity to others.

Suck it up and wear a mask. Do it for yourself, and others. This situation is not going to last forever. A vaccine is coming faster than anyone expected, saving uncounted numbers of deaths in the long run. In the short run, we are left with our common sense.

This should not be a political issue!

Last edited:
Reactions: HotDish

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
i understand people not wanting to wear a mask. I don't like wearing one. I understand that wearing one for long periods of time at work, or because of a family/living situation, is stressful.

I have zero sympathy for those who put others at risk by refusing to wear a mask when they are out in public and in close proximity to others.

Suck it up and wear a mask. Do it for yourself, and others. This situation is not going to last forever. A vaccine is coming faster than anyone expected, saving uncounted numbers of deaths in the long run. In the short run, we are left with our common sense.

This is not known yet, i understand the reason for hoping it does. But the problem with rushing vaccines is you dont know the long term effects of receiving said vaccine.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

No one (or barely anyone) gives a crap about the mask.

Even those that say there isn't evidence that they do anything, mostly wear masks, and what evidence there is suggests barely anything.

I grew up in a rural area of Minnesota, and have been back there a few times since the mandate. Everyone was wearing masks in public. Currently, I live in an outer ring suburb, definitely what people would call "Trump country", I can't recall the last time I saw someone not wearing a mask. According to a Carnege Mellon survey posted in the Strib in late October, the Mask compliance rate in Urban Minnesota was 95%. Rural Minnesota was 83%.

People are wearing masks, have been wearing mask. and there is little evidence that it isn't being followed. It's just terrible sloganearing on both sides.

On one side, it gives people something to blame for a virus that's going to virus.

The other, it's the short hand for anti-government lockdown policies in general.

Both sides are just taking a complicated situation, with real ramifications and boiling it down to a two-ply piece of cloth as the hill to die on.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We were basically responding to a guy above who said wearing a mask was "BS". We are saying it's not. It will not completely protect anyone from catching this virus, but it's better than not wearing a mask...much better. Other common sense steps will also stop the spread.

In other words, it is pretty simple. It's nothing new, or particularly profound. Wearing masks has been part of the medical/public health toolkit for many decades.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
You just said that 17% of people in rural MN are not complying with the mask policy and then right after that said 'there is little evidence that it isn't being followed.'?

I've definitely seen people who even though it may seem like they are wearing the mask they actually aren't. They have it under their nose or just completely off their nose/mouth.

It's not a hill to die on. It's definitely not fool-proof and the thing that will save us all. In a situation where we almost have nothing we can do ourselves to help, it's a very small adjustment to your life that has a non-zero chance to make a positive change.

That is why it is focused on so much. Not because of its 100% effective rate, but because it is such a small effort to potentially save someone else's life and yet humanity is still so selfish as to even make this stupid conversation relevant.

Reactions: 57special

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You just said that 17% of people in rural MN are not complying with the mask policy and then right after that said 'there is little evidence that it isn't being followed.'?

I've definitely seen people who even though it may seem like they are wearing the mask they actually aren't. They have it under their nose or just completely off their nose/mouth.

It's not a hill to die on. It's definitely not fool-proof and the thing that will save us all. In a situation where we almost have nothing we can do ourselves to help, it's a very small adjustment to your life that has a non-zero chance to make a positive change.

That is why it is focused on so much. Not because of its 100% effective rate, but because it is such a small effort to potentially save someone else's life and yet humanity is still so selfish as to even make this stupid conversation relevant.

17% means the vast majority of people are following the recommendations, even in sparsely populated areas where it's probably not as necessary to wear a mask. If you do some hackey math( using Twin Cities has roughly 3.28 million of Minnesotas 5.64 million population), statewide that would equal roughly 90% compliance rate.

That's an extremely high statewide compliance rate.

But those numbers are even old (Late october). Upto date numbers per Carnegie Mellon's Covidcast has rural Minnesota Rural Minnesota at 91.32 percent, All the urban centers at 96% plus. The only outlier is Stearns county at a disgraceful 89%...

People are wearing masks by huge numbers. But the blame on the rise of cases is still those danged Anti-Maskers.

It's all about the blame game. There isn't much that can be done short of the vaccine, so we need someone to blame.

Reactions: zellmatic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia