OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When we finally do get a safe, effective vaccine, the logistics involved in getting the population to take it, twice, (@TaLoN ) boggles the mind. How would 90 yo's who still live at home get it? Would the very act of going to a crowded clinic cause them to contract the disease before the vaccine kicks in? The manpower involved in doing a door to door vaccination program would be staggering.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When we finally do get a safe, effective vaccine, the logistics involved in getting the population to take it, twice, (@TaLoN ) boggles the mind. How would 90 yo's who still live at home get it? Would the very act of going to a crowded clinic cause them to contract the disease before the vaccine kicks in? The manpower involved in doing a door to door vaccination program would be staggering.
90 yr olds who have trouble leaving home are likely in long term care, and the ltc faculty would provide it.

Nobody is going to go door to door to vaccinate.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Probably similar to how I got my flu shot this year. I went to a drive in clinic. I sat in my car and they walked up to give me shot after I rolled down my window.

they will be required to get someone to drive them to a drive in vaccine place. If they are completely house bound we will have to find a way to get it to them. The hospital my Mother works at has vans that go and pick up patients that can't drive. Maybe something similar can happen with picking up people for the shot.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Probably similar to how I got my flu shot this year. I went to a drive in clinic. I sat in my car and they walked up to give me shot after I rolled down my window.

they will be required to get someone to drive them to a drive in vaccine place. If they are completely house bound we will have to find a way to get it to them. The hospital my Mother works at has vans that go and pick up patients that can't drive. Maybe something similar can happen with picking up people for the shot.
It's very common for the elderly to have health shuttles take them to clinics. That infrastructure already exists.

Reactions: zellmatic

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, but not in massive numbers. We are talking everyone in a very short period, not spread out over a couple of years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, but not in massive numbers. We are talking everyone in a very short period, not spread out over a couple of years.
All these people get physicals every year, flu shots every year. Why can't they get their COVID shots?

It's not nearly the challenge you're making it out to be.

Hell, when you reach that age, you make more clinic stops than the avg person does because you have more health issues that require it typically.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Don't forget that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70 (F) and shipped frozen. The logistics of keeping millions of doses cold is insane, it will be expensive. Beyond expensive.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Don't forget that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70 (F) and shipped frozen. The logistics of keeping millions of doses cold is insane, it will be expensive. Beyond expensive.
The Moderna one doesn't, it could be stored in any refrigerator... including the one in your home. They will have 20m doses available by the end if the year and another billion available next year.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The Moderna one doesn't, it could be stored in any refrigerator... including the one in your home. They will have 20m doses available by the end if the year and another billion available next year.

Us west coasters haven't been up long enough to read about this yet, but that is good news.

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Shut down all high school and youth sports here in North Dakota until December 14. Not going over real well
Because people still don't believe it's real.
Or if they do, it's not that big of deal. It's just like the flu, which it's not. We still don't know the long term effects of coming down with this virus.
f***. I hate people.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Or if they do, it's not that big of deal. It's just like the flu, which it's not. We still don't know the long term effects of coming down with this virus.
f***. I hate people.
Yeah i sawa story on Twitter they were interviewing a nurse in SD talking about how they had people in disbelief that they were dying from Covid.

She talked about how they had to tell their patients to start making arrangements and FaceTime their family as their oxygen levels start dropping. The patients were filled with anger and frustration claiming you can't die from Covid.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah i sawa story on Twitter they were interviewing a nurse in SD talking about how they had people in disbelief that they were dying from Covid.

She talked about how they had to tell their patients to start making arrangements and FaceTime their family as their oxygen levels start dropping. The patients were filled with anger and frustration claiming you can't die from Covid.

Reactions: HotDish

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Shut down all high school and youth sports here in North Dakota until December 14. Not going over real well
Meanwhile I have a sinus infection and my work won't let me come back until I'm tested for and can prove I don't have it. Glad I have PTO to use but it does show my work actually takes this seriously.
Frankly for me if college hockey doesn't bubble... there won't be a season.
Those not taking this seriously are morons and I don't feel sorry for what happens to them.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I live right by our local HS fields. They are taking the in class stuff pretty seriously, with masks, spacing...the whole deal. Out on the field, when the teams were practicing, was a whole different story. For every coach that had the players wearing masks and spacing during meetings, huddles, there were 3 that had large groups of players clumped together with masks down around their chins, or non existent. Players sitting right next to one another on benches, or clumped together when they are running(and huffing, puffing, and spitting). Stupid, lazy, stuff. Most of it was preventable.

My son was playing baseball this summer on a traveling team. Before he signed up they assured us that they would take steps to distance. Once games started...nada. Team breakdowns, jammed together on benches, no masks...ridiculous. What was annoying was that I saw a couple of other teams doing it the right way- it's not that hard! Baseball is a game where the actual playing involves distance between players, for the most part. I guess tennis is another one.

Just a total failure by coaches who should know better.

All schools just went online, btw, due to massive increases in cases, which resulted in absences of teachers, staff, and students.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We still don't know the long term effects of coming down with this virus.
f***. I hate people.

Friend caught it back in April and still hasn't fully recovered from it. Mind you this was in October when I saw him post on Facebook (caught it in April, recovered by May and he's posting this in October). He had to be rushed back to the hospital as he had chest pains and not being able to speak or breathe. He's had violent dreams, breathing problems, chills, short headaches, chest pain and other issues. He still needs to catch his breath. He is also pretty fit. He thought he was having a heart attack.

And this is from a late 20s guy, in the prime of his life.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
That said we have South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, and even Wisconsin to thank for our increase in covid cases here in MN.

Mainly South Dakota.

The greatest threat to freedom of speech is going to ultimately be the abuse of said free speech.

If there is ever a deadlier pandemic we are clearly screwed because half of the country will think it's another Bill Gates blah blah blah blah blah scheme.

The public education system, social media echo chambers, and the ability for an entire political party to be able to operate without the confines of you know... having to tell the truth will destroy this country eventually.

Realistically the only hope for this state is joining Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Not to argue with Talon but I think there is a good chance you will see a huge push to get the vaccines out to communities including door to door health workers and mobile aid stations. Will there be issues and crazy people answering doors? Yup but health systems are already discussing the idea.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I know a couple in their 70's who recently got the virus and one of them has cancer taking chemo. They were sick for a couple of days and expect no issues. This virus scares me as much as anyone, but most people can recover without problems. The news makes everyone afraid IMO because they never show us the typical experience with COVID.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
250,000 people have died in 8 months. Estimates are for 400,000 in a 12 month period. That amount equals the total amount lost in WWII.

How many have to die before we take it seriously? 1 million? 2 Million? 10?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I know a couple in their 70's who recently got the virus and one of them has cancer taking chemo. They were sick for a couple of days and expect no issues. This virus scares me as much as anyone, but most people can recover without problems. The news makes everyone afraid IMO because they never show us the typical experience with COVID.
The problem is the increased hospitalization rate across all age groups, and the fact that those who need hospitalization, typically need extended stays.

This causes the hospitals to quickly fill up, preventing others from accessing their needed care for any issue, which then also increases the fatality rates across the board for all ailments.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
f***. I hate people.

Pretty sure its more of the government thinking they have more power than the constitution is meant for them to have then anything.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

I highly suggest you talk to a front-line nurse or doctor to see what it's been like for them during this time.
Yes, MOST people will be largely unaffected, however many people still are. This causes hospitals to fill, and for resources to be strained.

Reactions: TaLoN and 57special

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
250,000 people have died in 8 months. Estimates are for 400,000 in a 12 month period. That amount equals the total amount lost in WWII.

How many have to die before we take it seriously? 1 million? 2 Million? 10?
Crazy to think back how there were people claiming that scientists and doctors saying 100,000 deaths were being alarmists and doomsayers. Looking back 100,000 would've been a blessing.

I've never like being a told you so especially when it comes to grim news, but it was cathartic to chew out some relatives that told me that there was a 0% chance Minnesota was going to have over 100,000 cases and 1000 deaths. We already doubled those numbers.

Reactions: 57special

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Crazy to think back how there were people claiming that scientists and doctors saying 100,000 deaths were being alarmists and doomsayers. Looking back 100,000 would've been a blessing.

I've never like being a told you so especially when it comes to grim news, but it was cathartic to chew out some relatives that told me that there was a 0% chance Minnesota was going to have over 100,000 cases and 1000 deaths. We already doubled those numbers.

i worked at sanford bemidji until the end of march, the initial estimates were actually like 1.2 million deaths. we are well below that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino