Official College Hockey Thread 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
The gophers are really off my radar this year. I wasn't happy about the Big Ten change admittedly, so maybe I just need time to get used to the MN-OSU rivalry.

Last edited:

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
The gophers are really off my radar this year. I wasn't happy about the Big Ten change admittedly, so maybe I just need time to get used to the MN-OSU rivalry.

I don't get this why? Sure I hate the move to the B1G as much as anyone, but for heaven's sake it's my team and why would I ever stop caring about the Gophers? They're off to the 3rd best start in team history right now with 2 regulation losses! Be excited, this team is awesome and consistent right now, two things they were not last year, come on!

obby1g

Jan 21, 2014
Bloomington MN

Your missing out. This is a team to be proud of. I will always prioritize my gophers over that joke of an nhl team we have.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Speaking of an OSU rivalry...... The badgers are having a "white out" with $11 tickets vs OSU...... Wonder who's idea that was *cough*Barry Alvarez*cough*. He didn't do this for any other series and I bet you he won't do it for Minnesota. I swear Barry is trying to turn badger hockey (and maybe college hockey in general with the big ten move) to more of a football landscape and a football feel to it...... He has gone from a great coach to screwing with things that shouldn't be screwed with.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I just don't find it as compelling. I guess I miss the old rivalries until new ones develop.

And admittedly this Winter sees me at the rink a lot more Friday and Saturday nights due to scheduling of ice times.

Anybody know what the TV ratings are vs previous years?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Speaking of an OSU rivalry...... The badgers are having a "white out" with $11 tickets vs OSU...... Wonder who's idea that was *cough*Barry Alvarez*cough*. He didn't do this for any other series and I bet you he won't do it for Minnesota. I swear Barry is trying to turn badger hockey (and maybe college hockey in general with the big ten move) to more of a football landscape and a football feel to it...... He has gone from a great coach to screwing with things that shouldn't be screwed with.

I don't really know if it's Alvarez and if it is, who cares? It's a fun little thing you do one time a year, the game either will be or will be close to a sellout. No harm in doing a white out. I think it will actually look pretty cool.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't really know if it's Alvarez and if it is, who cares? It's a fun little thing you do one time a year, the game either will be or will be close to a sellout. No harm in doing a white out. I think it will actually look pretty cool.

I'm just rambling about how the hockey team never gets any recognition. It's nice to see them do something I guess.

Good 5-3 win tonight over OSU. House should be rocking tomorrow :yo:

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
I just don't find it as compelling. I guess I miss the old rivalries until new ones develop.

And admittedly this Winter sees me at the rink a lot more Friday and Saturday nights due to scheduling of ice times.

Anybody know what the TV ratings are vs previous years?

Per Chris Peters at USoH:

According to Steve Lepore of Awful Announcing, ND-Minnesota attracted 182,000 viewers, which for college hockey regular-season broadcasts is essentially unheard of.

Minnesota-Notre Dame last Friday drew 182,000 viewers on NBCSN, drawing more viewers than two of NBCSN’s three NHL broadcasts last week.

— Steve Lepore (@stevelepore) November 15, 2013

That’s… remarkable.

The Gophers always draw big ratings.

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Two things that make this Gopher Hockey team scary good this year is their scoring depth and their back-end. The Gophers are almost always potent offensively, but unlike the past few seasons, they have a wealth of scoring depth. They have 9 players with at least 5 goals, 6 players with at least 7, and 11 players who have double-digit points this season. They are second in the nation in scoring, and this is with a power play that has been less than Gopher like (at just over 16%). Their power play has been heating up (two goals tonight), and if it keeps improving, watch out.

They are also a really, really strong team defensively. That starts with Wilcox, of course. He's been absolutely outstanding this season. But their defensemen (and entire team for that matter) have played very well defensively in front if him as well. You have to go back to Thanksgiving weekend to find a game where the Gophers have given up more than two goals. So unlike years past, they don't need to put up a ton of goals to win.

This d-corps the Gophers have is special. The freshmen have been fantastic, but man are Mike Reilly and Brady Skjei special players. If Reilly stays another year, he could be a very strong Hobey contender.

If the Gopher's 18-2-3 record to start the season wasn't impressive enough, they've done it against the nation's second most difficult schedule. Lots of hockey left to play, and certainly still stuff they need to work on, but this team could end up being very special when all is said and done.

Last edited:

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I tuned in for about 10 minutes for the Michigan St vs Michigan game tonight.

That Michigan St. arena is really small looking. There are bigger high school arenas in Minnesota I think.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Two things that make this Gopher Hockey team scary good this year is their scoring depth and their back-end. The Gophers are almost always potent offensively, but unlike the past few seasons, they have a wealth of scoring depth. They have 9 players with at least 5 goals, 6 players with at least 7, and 11 players who have double-digit points this season. They are second in the nation in scoring, and this is with a power play that has been less than Gopher like (at just over 16%). Their power play has been heating up (two goals tonight), and if it keeps improving, watch out.

I just noticed something interesting: 3 of the top 5 scoring teams in the nation are in the big ten (Minnesota #2, Wisconsin #4, and OSU #5). Of those three teams only one is in the top 30 for PP % and that's OSU. How can 2 of the top 4 scoring teams be so "bad" at the power play? It's mind boggling.... :laugh: I can't speak for the gophers but watching the badgers on the PP reminds of the wild when they are at their WORST. Just doesn't make sense........ I bet if you looked at the 5-on-5 scoring per game MN and WI would go 1-2.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Really awful officiating in the UMD Minnesota game.

Same for UW-OSU. Badgers couldn't buy a PP for their life despite dominating OSU and out-shooting them 37-22. I think they got 2-3 PP "chances" but maybe one of them was the full 2 minutes. OSU had something like 5 PPs and 3-4 were 2 minutes (these are just guesses after watching the whole game). The refs refused to give the badgers a PP in the 3rd when I thought that there could have been 2+.

Oh well. 3-1 loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad