Official Calgary Flames 2015 Draft Thread v.2: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if management would trade up to make sure we grab him. Crouse is really good friends with Bennett. Good chemistry together too.
I'd love that. But I think Crouse goes 5-7 and I don't think we have enough to trade up that far.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I'll be thrilled with whoever we take at #15 knowing we didn't have to sell off any major assets to move up five measly spots and still landed a really decent player. The only deal I'd really want to see would involve using (one of?) our seconds (plus?) in acquiring another mid-to-late 1st-rounder, and even then I'd still be hesitant for how deep the first few rounds of this draft seem to be. I'm just starting to imagine the notion of snagging both Zboril AND Kylington; if the latter is still on the board come pick #20, I think Burliving would at least have to consider it. Just think of the boon having those two would bring to our d prospect corps.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
100TG, I agree in that I think Crouse is a top 5 talent in this draft considering his overall package. However I expect him to go in the 8-12 range. He's one guy that I'd absolutely move up to get if he falls past 10. Although, let's say we can get Meier at 15, I think there is a drop off there but it isn't huge. Crouse is such a beast though, I'll be crying at Schanks if we get him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I wonder if management would trade up to make sure we grab him. Crouse is really good friends with Bennett. Good chemistry together too.

I'd tell them to go for it, but like others have said he likely goes top 10. There aren't a lot of players I like more than him in this draft.

I can't wait for the collective HFBoards outrage if he goes top 5 though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd tell them to go for it, but like others have said he likely goes top 10. There aren't a lot of players I like more than him in this draft.

I can't wait for the collective HFBoards outrage if he goes top 5 though.
I have him @ #4. I like him better than Strome and others.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Crouse is a top 5 talent in this draft considering his overall package. However I expect him to go in the 8-12 range. He's one guy that I'd absolutely move up to get if he falls past 10. Although, let's say we can get Meier at 15, I think there is a drop off there but it isn't huge. Crouse is such a beast though, I'll be crying at Schanks if we get him.

Crouse has a dangerous pick written all over him. A team stepping up to grab him in the top 7 has to be cocksure that that upside actually exists. If he's available 10+ I think that a team can make-out well getting him, but a team stepping up early could be making a dangerous play.

From the few times I've watched him play this year, he's the most noticeable guy for Kingston out there... but that's not saying much. I'd like to see him with actual talent too. He had something like 15 points during the 11 games Bennett was back with Kingston... so you can look at that either as a negative or positive. Positive is with talent he was more than a ppg player. Negative, it took probably the top prospect not playing in the NHL last year to get him there.

Dunno; I'd be happy to get him at 15. I'd be horrified if I was a Toronto or Carolina fan and they stepped up to pick him. He kind of has that Nick Ritchie feel to him, and might slip a bit in the draft.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He really looks like a more skilled Lucic. I think he is capable of hitting 45-60 points a year as a 2nd line LW behind Gaudreau. Our LW depth would be the best in the league if we had Gaudreau, Crouse, Klimchuk and Ferland in a few years.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
1 - Edmonton - McJesus
2 - Buffalo - Eichel
3 - Arizona - Marner
4 - Toronto - Strome
5 - Carolina - Hanifin
6 - New Jersey - Barzal
7 - Philadelphia - Proporov
8 - Columbus - Rantanen
9 - San Jose - Werenski
10 - Colorado - Zboril
11 - Florida - Zacha
12 - Dallas - Chabot
13 - LA - Meier
14 - Boston - Connor
15 - Calgary - Crouse
:handclap:

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
realistically after the first 2, who knows what is going to happen, especially with D, what is is face projected to possible go 1st went 4th .... Jones. Anyway, we are going to get a great player at 15, so excited

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would love Crouse, whether it be at 15 or by moving up. I really don't understand all of the hate he gets. I definitely see some offensive upside with him, albeit not as much as other top picks. The way I see it he would be a perfect fit in Calgary. He's a very good skater, brings some size to our top 6, has good chemistry with Bennett, physical, mean, hard working, and good defensively. He really fits the Flames identity well.

There was a thread on the main forum about who would be the "busts" from this years draft and Crouse's name was mentioned a lot. I just don't see much bust potential at all. With his size, skating, and two-way ability I think it is extremely likely that he meets his upside as a top 6 player, and if not would still be a very good 3rd line player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He is a much more intelligent player than Lucic though, he does remind me quite a bit of Backes as well. Fills that traditional power-forward role we rarely see now.

That's an interesting comparison, I haven't thought of that due to the positions they play but I do agree the style is similar.

Volica, you are correct that there is an inherent risk with Crouse, but I believe it's minimal. I think worst case you have yourself a pretty damn good 3rd liner who can crash, bang, play solid D and score 35 points a season, I feel confident in saying that's his floor. His ceiling is fantastic though, you get a difference maker. Someone who can change the complexion of a game and someone who will flourish out west. I don't expect Crouse to ever put up elite numbers, I see him being capable of getting 65 points a year (give or take a few) and really being able to affect the makeup of game. I'd love if somehow we were able to get Crouse.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Crouse is a mixture of Rick Nash and Lance Bouma. The kid is a great hockey player.

Wouldn't rate him ahead of the high end skill guys though. I bet he goes around 8-10. Would love to trade up for him. He's a Burliving guy through-and through.

Safest pick in the draft other then McEichel.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Crouse is a mixture of Rick Nash and Lance Bouma. The kid is a great hockey player.

Wouldn't rate him ahead of the high end skill guys though. I bet he goes around 8-10. Would love to trade up for him. He's a Burliving guy through-and through.

Safest pick in the draft other then McEichel.

Soooooo a hard working perennial underachiever :P

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Soooooo a hard working perennial underachiever :P

I'm talking the skillet. Size, speed, defensive awareness, but with Boumas grit.

I don't think he has nearly the scoring touch of Rick Nash or Correy Perry.

A faster Scott Hartnell.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I'm talking the skillet. Size, speed, defensive awareness, but with Boumas grit.

I don't think he has nearly the scoring touch of Rick Nash or Correy Perry.

A faster Scott Hartnell.

Hartnell had way better numbers in junior.

Heck so did Ferland and they similar games.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Hartnell had way better numbers in junior.

Heck so did Ferland and they similar games.

Ferland had 28 points the year he was drafted... Crouse had 51. Not a very good comparison.

Regardless, I hate basing player evaluations on stats alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest