Official Calgary Flames 2015 Draft Thread v.2: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Started out thinking we were sharing the same suffering. Ended up hating you. :shakehead

Right, couldn't tell you the feel though when I looked at my schedule and it was booked :laugh:

I'm very excited about this draft. As I mentioned, if I remember I'll throw some stuff out that I see in person; I think I'll be busy taking it in with my dad though as a bit of a father/son trip haha.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
At 15 overall, I just don't believe there will be a defenseman worth taking that will be of more value than a Konecny or Merkley. Really hoping we get one of those two, or that Meier or Connor fall a few slots if those guys are picked prior. These guys are all just so competitive and play to win. Fits with our formula and further builds the identity. Three second round picks are available and at least one of those can be used on best D available. With that 15 pick, there's too many strong forwards who have a lot of NHL promise.

Aug 21, 2014
Merkley and Konency are too small IMO. Even if they pan out we'd have arguably the smallest top 6 in the league. If you want success in the playoffs you need some size in your top 6.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Merkley and Konency are too small IMO. Even if they pan out we'd have arguably the smallest top 6 in the league. If you want success in the playoffs you need some size in your top 6.

Add some size on the other side of the wings then.

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW with size
LW with size - Bennett - Merkley/Konecny

Wishful thinking, but Lucic and Okposo/Oshie would be excellent fits.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Add some size on the other side of the wings then.

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW with size
LW with size - Bennett - Merkley/Konecny

Wishful thinking, but Lucic and Okposo/Oshie would be excellent fits.

Exactly. Both of Merkley and Konecny could potentially be Tyler Johnson type players. Tampa did just fine in the playoffs. The reason why we couldn't compete with Anaheim isn't because Gaudreau is too small... It's because our core is really young and we don't have much of a supporting cast of depth like Anaheim had, and that's understandable as we are still building. At 15 overall you might not get a 6'3 dominating forward that puts the puck in the net and can dish. But you always take BPA and I would put Konecny then Merkley as my BPA most likely, regardless of size.

Aug 21, 2014
5'11 and plays with an edge. Not every player has to be 6'3, 220. Besides, I think Blues' fans said he is up to 200 lbs. I could be wrong.

That's true, but if it where up to me, Id go after Backes than Oshie. Backes big, Backes mean. Backes right hand center and American. :laugh:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Why? We can still get a great player at 15

I just feel its in a bad spot. I would rather move up, or down to get a 2nd pick. To me the players after 10 - 13 really drop and its a mix bag for the rest of the 1st. For example what if Konecny, Merkley are both gone by the time are pick comes up which seems a lot of people have us taking?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I just feel its in a bad spot. I would rather move up, or down to get a 2nd pick. To me the players after 10 - 13 really drop and its a mix bag for the rest of the 1st. For example what if Konecny, Merkley are both gone by the time are pick comes up which seems a lot of people have us taking?

That would mean Crouse dropped or Rantannen and Svrchnikov.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
i think konecny or zboril would be perfect fits. at least one of them will be there or somebody else could drop. I think our spot is perfect for being a 2nd round playoff team. either a top 6 RW or well rounded top 3/4 dman.

EDIT: and if they arent there somebody like meier or connor is there

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is always some surprise. At 15th, it's a good position to catch someone falling.

But yeah, any of Merkley Konecny, Svechnikov, Zboril or Kylington can be the 15th pick. So the Flames can still move down a few spots and get one of them

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would **** myself if we got Crouse at 15. I think he's better than some of the guys people feel will go top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad