Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

Xamar*

Lots of talk about GM BMur on the Lazar thread. So here's a thread dedicated to assessing all his failures/successes with us [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Great guy, not a great GM.

Hopefully this is his last year. We need a Brian Burke-type guy to take over and push this team over the top like in Anaheim. We're a top 6 F and top 4 D away from contending, assuming Anderson is up to the task as the team's #1 goalie.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Has some good trades has some bad trades. His biggest plus is that he re stocked us with good prospects and youth one of his big minuses is the constant coaching carousel. He doesn't do that bad of a job considering the budget constraints.

Thread over.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He's had a mixed legacy. He did a good job of creating the foundation and core of the team through drafting and developing, but he can't seem to get the team out of this cycle of mediocrity. We've had holes in the line-up that he hasn't even acknowledged.

1 series win in 8 seasons isn't enough.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Steps to success:

1. Fire Melnyk and get a new owner
2. Murray retires after this season and hire a new gm.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Steps to success:

1. Fire Melnyk and get a new owner
2. Murray retires after this season and hire a new gm.

Good luck with #1.

Does anyone honestly think there's a billionaire out there (and no, a millionaire doesn't cut it with the league at this point) who would be willing to hover around the break even-to-losing point forever to stay in this market? Especially with a new building needed in the next decade, and in this huge NIMBY, bureaucratic nightmare of a city?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Good luck with #1.

Does anyone honestly think there's a billionaire out there (and no, a millionaire doesn't cut it with the league at this point) who would be willing to hover around the break even-to-losing point forever to stay in this market? Especially with a new building needed in the next decade, and in this huge NIMBY, bureaucratic nightmare of a city?

Peltz is still around right? His son gets a guaranteed top line role on the Sens is the only downside.

flippin

Apr 22, 2014

Hopefully this is his last year. We need a Brian Burke-type guy to take over and push this team over the top like in Anaheim. We're a top 6 F and top 4 D away from contending, assuming Anderson is up to the task as the team's #1 goalie.

Really??? Brian Burke?? Ask the Maple Leafs what they think of Burke. And Murray was the architect of Burke's winning Anaheim team. The additions to the Ducks which he gladly takes credit for were as much about luck and circumstance than being shrewd. The 2004 draft was the Crosby draft. Pittsburgh had the 1st pick, Burke had the 2nd pick, he chose Bobby Ryan. In doing so he bypassed Marc Staal, James Neal, Paul Stastny, Kris Letang, Jack Johnson, goalies Carey Price and Jonathan Quick. Still think he's a GM savant?

Hockey insiders have long since criticized most of Burke's decisions, he definitely isn't all that special once you peel back the layers of glitter.

Othello*

He's a nice dude, but it's his drafting is the only thing that's keeping him from getting fired.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

No Please No

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
don't know about you guys but I love draft potential elite third liners in the first round. We need good character people after all.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Clearly knows how to draft NHLers.

Wouldn't want him to build my team though. He creates zero results on the ice.

Othello*

don't know about you guys but I love draft potential elite third liners in the first round. We need good character people after all.
Burakovsky
Koencny/Svechnikov
Sprong..

His drafting overall has been good though.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Did the thread started on the main board not gather the negativity you were expecting?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
"whether he's the man for the Ottawa Senators heading into the future"

lol...

He's a dying man for God's sakes, he's obviously not that man.

Enjoy him while he lasts instead of roasting him. Has done a ton of good for the organization, especially for its reputation.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Did the thread started on the main board not gather the negativity you were expecting?

Yep. Just went through that thread.

How freaking embarrassing for this fanbase! We have both Hab and Leaf fans defending our GM to our own fanbase.

For ****s sake, Bryan is in his last year with the team as GM, perhaps even his last year or two on this freaking planet.........and some of you choose this time, when we're in the middle of a horrible injury run to ***** about him?? And on the main boards, no less?

Some people here should be ashamed of themselves. Just go cheer for a big moneybags team like the Rangers or something instead.

:facepalm:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yep. Just went through that thread.

How freaking embarrassing for this fanbase! We have both Hab and Leaf fans defending our GM to our own fanbase.

For ****s sake, Bryan is in his last year with the team as GM, perhaps even his last year or two on this freaking planet.........and some of you choose this time, when we're in the middle of a horrible injury run to ***** about him?? And on the main boards, no less?

Some people here should be ashamed of themselves. Just go cheer for a big moneybags team like the Rangers or something instead.

:facepalm:

Agreed, Nac.

I edited the OP because I absolutely cannot stand how insensitive it was. Poor taste. I'll leave this thread open for now since we don't have a Murray catch-all.

Last edited:

Xamar*

Agreed, Nac.

I edited the OP because I absolutely cannot stand how insensitive it was. Poor taste. I'll leave this thread open for now since we don't have a Murray catch-all.

I didn't mean it like that however I do understand why it sounds insensitive. Next time I'll proofread before I write :(

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Incredibly difficult job. Wide open to criticism.
You have to be tough. Believe in yourself. Be consistent. Be fair.

I was glad when BMur came to the Sens. A Ottawa Valley guy.
I still like him.

Bilbo

Jul 22, 2011
Montreal
Murray has been a good, not great, GM for Ottawa. Very good drafting. Hit a home run with the Turris trade. Some less than perfect signings but no worse than almost every other nhl team. Has managed to keep a competitive team on this ice with dwindling financial resources.

Hate the oppressively negative spirit of the thread, thanks to the moderator for the edits. Just discovered a use for the ignore list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad