Official Bernier/Reimer Thread 1.0 - Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon

Penalty Kill Icing*

ReimTime. Let him roll with it for a while. 2 games, possibly 3.

I hope as season goes on, Carlyle starts using them in consecutive games to see how they respond.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
That's a fair assessment. "Terrible" was a bit of an exaggeration (although I posted this right after the game so emotions were high). I still do think that it would have been more beneficial to pull Bernier. Not only does it increase competition between the goalies, it would allow Bernier to realize he is not in a position to take a night off and that there is little room for error because we have another capable goalie.

If only to put the fear of god in Bernier, to prevent him from being complacent.

The thing is though, Bernier tends to lose focus during the end of the game for some reason. That is probably his only flaw I notice in his game. Maybe its because he's inexperienced because granted, this is his first full season.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Where's that Bernier fanboy who said all great goalies give up a few bad goals due to overconfidence?

Hilarious.

Bernier gives up super stinky goals. Maybe he needs to be eased into his first big workload, since all he's been is a back-up. I'd like to see Reimer for a while now.

Ya, I wonder where Reimer would be had Jonathan Quick been on our team... probably stuck in the AHL still? Or he'd been in the same position Bernier was in LA.

Edit: Re-read your post, perhaps the loss got me ticked off, thought you were implying Bernier's only capable of being a back-up. God losses mess with my mind. Reimer will definitely get HNIC :P Team better show up

Amateur game by Bernier. I'm super pissed Carlyle didn't decide to pull him and give an opportunity to Reimer to salvage that mess. The team in front of him didn't help, but Bernier was terrible.

And yes, like the guys above me have said, Bernier gives up too many bad and deflating goals.

1st time, a fluke I can forgive
2nd time, just unlucky break
3rd time, this is getting ridiculous

Admit bad game by Bernier but lets also not forget the times where EITHER of our two goalies have saved the game for us after a giveaway from our D.

Last edited:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
well i obviously dont want Bernier to play like **** in order for Reims to get back... thats just stupid

but welcome back Reimer
take back the throne

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I'm sorry, but aside from the 4th goal, I don't think Bernier played particularly bad.
The other three could have gone in on any goalie.
It might have been a good idea to put Reimer in at some point, just to change the energy, but I'm not sure it would have made sense until the 4th one.

I think it is just that he didn't heroically save the game for the Leafs like we are becoming accustomed to our goalies doing.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
Relax, both goalies will have off games. They both have noticeable flaws, but they give the team a chance most nights, which is all anyone can ask for.

This!

It's 2 young goalies, and the season is far from over. We didn't pay 4 1rst rounders for Bernier for a reason. Obviously, he'll need time. So far, they both look great.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The thing is though, Bernier tends to lose focus during the end of the game for some reason. That is probably his only flaw I notice in his game. Maybe its because he's inexperienced because granted, this is his first full season.

I wonder why that is - i read here that's actually part of his scouting report - as the game goes on, he loses more focus. (TSN did a graph too - his .GAA in the third period is a lot higher than the 1st/2nd period).

I wonder if it's simply part of the growing period of being a goaltender, and the more he plays - is the more focused he'll be for the entire game.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I find our whole discussion on our goalies as nitpicking. Reimer gets nitpicked because while getting results, he isn't doing it prettily enough. Bernier gets nitpicked on because while being consistently good, his team-based stats are not as good and he has let in a few really flukey goals.

That Bernier is worse later in the game is an area he can improve on, not a problem. It would be a part of the problem if it meant he wasn't putting up good numbers, and therefore becoming a weakness and not a strength for the team.

I don't know why, but Leafs fans seem incredibly picky with their goaltenders. Completely perfect snipes is somehow bad goals, letting in fluky goals is unacceptable even though even Lundqvist and Rask has done so this season. So many lose sight on that the overall impact of our goaltenders are tremendous, no matter who is in net.

The only real worry, as opposed to just areas I think they can still improve in, I have about our goaltender is that Reimer seems to start swimming around when things are not going his way. I find that a much larger problem than his rebounds.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nithoniniel - that is a concern of mine as well. the rebounding thing is actually getting a lot better :) but I bet that's something the goalie coach is working on.

I wonder if the fact we're so nitpicky, is that we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. we're not used to really good goal tending. so if we prepare ourselves that it's going to go to pot, it won't hurt so much IF it does - (but It won't).

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
The only real worry, as opposed to just areas I think they can still improve in, I have about our goaltender is that Reimer seems to start swimming around when things are not going his way. I find that a much larger problem than his rebounds.

I don't know if maybe that's a competitive nature or what but I noticed after every camera shot of Reimer after a goal is scored on him he looks incredibly angry.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Every goalie will give up soft goals. People just don't watch other teams for 82 games to realize that. Last night there were a couple soft goals let in by pretty good tenders

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Every goalie will give up soft goals. People just don't watch other teams for 82 games to realize that. Last night there were a couple soft goals let in by pretty good tenders

It's not the soft goals that people are worried about, it's just the timing of it that is starting to concern people.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
Have to wonder what this discussion would look like if Reimer was the one who gave up those three bad goals? If Reimer had the win/loss record that Bernier currently has this debate would be all over because as it is he is already fighting to win back the #1a role. A goalie that loses concentration is a grave concern to me (if that is to blame for the 3 "bad" goals Bernier has given up this year.

Personally I think 2 of those 3 goals were part a result of him being short :)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bernier just needs to gain the experience of being a start in the NHL. Reimer is the insurance at this point, whether he is the better goalie or not, hard not to see Bernier is our future goalie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bernier just needs to gain the experience of being a start in the NHL. Reimer is the insurance at this point, whether he is the better goalie or not, hard not to see Bernier is our future goalie

Yeah well, I'm kind of hoping that the one good thing that will come out of last night's loss is that Nonis will stop and think a bit - maybe, just maybe he should open his mind to the possibility that Reimer is the one we should keep. Not saying he is, but I am hoping that his mind isn't made up because I'm not convinced that Bernier will be better than Reimer in the long run.

Reimer should get a bit more credit for all he has done. He was really good last season and was the main reason we made the playoffs. There's huge pressure playing in this town anyway, then they bring in Bernier ... not a situation that everyone would handle well. He has kept his positive attitude, said all the right things and is playing better than ever.

I think he deserves a big hand!

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:
:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:
:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad