Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Starts vs. Western Teams:
Bernier - 10 (inclu. Columbus)
Reimer - 3

Starts vs. Eastern Teams:
Bernier - 5
Reimer - 6

Anybody else seeing a pattern? Carlyle seems to place a lot of emphasis on familiarity.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Starts vs. Western Teams:
Bernier - 10 (inclu. Columbus)
Reimer - 3

Starts vs. Eastern Teams:
Bernier - 5
Reimer - 6

Anybody else seeing a pattern? Carlyle seems to place a lot of emphasis on familiarity.

This is interesting. I really hope that this is the reason for the discrepancy in starts!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It'l be interesting to see who gets the Winter Classic start.

I give that start to Reimer if they are both playing great. It will be a "controversy" for the media no matter who starts though, for the team it will just be another regular season game.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I give that start to Reimer if they are both playing great. It will be a "controversy" for the media no matter who starts though, for the team it will just be another regular season game.

I feel like if they are still playing evenly at that point, if they give Bernier the Winter Classic start then it shows that they are definitely done with Reimer was far as the future goes.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I feel like if they are still playing evenly at that point, if they give Bernier the Winter Classic start then it shows that they are definitely done with Reimer was far as the future goes.
Why? Reimer had the first start of the season, first saturday night game, and hes also played on way more saturday nights than Bernier, probably will get the one this saturday as well.

Last edited:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Why? Reimer had the start of the first season, first saturday night game, and hes also played on way more saturday nights than Bernier, probably will get the one this saturday as well.

The only reason I think is because the Winter Classic is a national showcase (not just in Canada but also in the United States) and it's also the first time a Canadian team is going to be broadcast on prime time in the United States so it's an event to "show case" your team in a way. To me it just screams a lot more "this is our guy" in that game rather than a random Saturday HNIC game.

I might be playing up the Winter Classic more than it actually is however and it might mean nothing in hindsight, but that's just what I gathered from it.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Because of 1 over-hyped regular season game? What kind of logic is that? If it was a playoff games then your post might actually have some merit.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
The only reason I think is because the Winter Classic is a national showcase (not just in Canada but also in the United States) and it's also the first time a Canadian team is going to be broadcast on prime time in the United States so it's an event to "show case" your team in a way. To me it just screams a lot more "this is our guy" in that game rather than a random Saturday HNIC game.

I might be playing up the Winter Classic more than it actually is however and it might mean nothing in hindsight, but that's just what I gathered from it.

You do realize that a lot of Saturday night broadcasts are national don't you?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
ESPN.com: Leafs' goalie plan working out just fine

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27873/leafs-goalie-plan-working-out-just-fine

TORONTO -- Isn't it sweet when a summer plan comes together as originally drawn up?

When the Maple Leafs acquired Jonathan Bernier in June, it was with the hope that the competition with James Reimer would give Toronto the kind of one-two punch in net it hasn't had in years.

The NHL statistics Thursday morning listed Reimer sitting fourth among goalies with a .942 save percentage, Bernier just behind at .939, good for sixth overall.

Not bad.

"This is how we had envisioned it, that both guys would fight for the net, that they would get along, they'd be good teammates, they'd push themselves to different levels. So far, that's all occurred," Leafs GM Dave Nonis told ESPN.com on Thursday morning. "So we've been fortunate."

To have that kind of goaltending on a team that ranks 30th in shots against per game (35.9 per game), well, it tells you where the Leafs would be if not for the stellar netminding they've gotten.

"They both instill confidence in the whole team," Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk said Thursday after the morning skate. "There have been games where we have been pretty badly outshot, and they've kept us in it until we got our game going. They've bailed us out quite a few times this year."

But just as important is that what had been billed as a potential goalie controversy before the season really hasn't played out that way in terms of any noticeable tension. It's been a battle without incident.

"They've been pushing each other," said van Riemsdyk. "You can take a relationship like that and it can go two ways. Sometimes it can be bitter, or you can work with it and go from there, and I think they've done a great job of supporting each other, and when their number has been called, they've gone in and done a really amazing job for us."

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Because of 1 over-hyped regular season game? What kind of logic is that? If it was a playoff games then your post might actually have some merit.

You do realize that a lot of Saturday night broadcasts are national don't you?

Like I said, I probably gave this game more worth than it really is, and yes Saturday night games are national games but this is not just a national game in Canada but also a national game in the U.S. too.

tobra

Feb 2, 2013
bernier gives up way to many bad goals. reimer is a good golie. team is not supporting him

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
bernier gives up way to many bad goals. reimer is a good golie. team is not supporting him

Where's that Bernier fanboy who said all great goalies give up a few bad goals due to overconfidence?

Hilarious.

Bernier gives up super stinky goals. Maybe he needs to be eased into his first big workload, since all he's been is a back-up. I'd like to see Reimer for a while now.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My guess is Reimer is in vs. Washington and then gets a shot vs. Columbus, as Bernier faced them last time. Then Bernier will be in vs. Pittsburgh and the two will split Buffalo and Montreal.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Amateur game by Bernier. I'm super pissed Carlyle didn't decide to pull him and give an opportunity to Reimer to salvage that mess. The team in front of him didn't help, but Bernier was terrible.

And yes, like the guys above me have said, Bernier gives up too many bad and deflating goals.

1st time, a fluke I can forgive
2nd time, just unlucky break
3rd time, this is getting ridiculous

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Amateur game by Bernier. I'm super pissed Carlyle didn't decide to pull him and give an opportunity to Reimer to salvage that mess. The team in front of him didn't help, but Bernier was terrible.

And yes, like the guys above me have said, Bernier gives up too many bad and deflating goals.

1st time, a fluke I can forgive
2nd time, just unlucky break
3rd time, this is getting ridiculous

It's a little concerning. While it was pretty ugly, I don't think that one was as bad as the other two.
I don't think Bernier was bad, just that he played an average game tonight. However, those softies has to stop.

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't Bernier was bad, just that he played an average game tonight. But those softies has to stop.

That's a fair assessment. "Terrible" was a bit of an exaggeration (although I posted this right after the game so emotions were high). I still do think that it would have been more beneficial to pull Bernier. Not only does it increase competition between the goalies, it would allow Bernier to realize he is not in a position to take a night off and that there is little room for error because we have another capable goalie.

If only to put the fear of god in Bernier, to prevent him from being complacent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad