Speculation: Official bad Lightning team is bad thread

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Now Bish might be hurt because Vasy is back in Tampa and Bish was only on the ice for 10 minutes before leaving, which is so far from what the team needs but then again, one can hope that if Bish is out that the team will get some kind of wakeup call with him not there to bail them out and keep things close but the hope for that is pretty slim. Vasy is great though, as is Gudlevskis.

Good news is that it looks like Palat is back, hopefully he is 100% though.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Oh look, back to Killorn-Stamkos-Filppula...

Ugh...those lines. I don't understand why we don't go back to Drouin / Stamkos / Callahan ... I thought they played very well until Drouin got hurt. Why not put that line back together? I just don't get it...

Brown/Paquette/Callahan ... wtf!!??!! With these lines its like Cooper is doubling down on "defense" instead of finding a way to balance out the lines and players. I like Coop ... but really I just want to punch him in the face right now so he wakes the **** up.

Drouin / Stamkos / Callahan
Palat / Johnson/ Kucherov

That is our top 6 ... wtf is Coop doing?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If Cooper is coaching the players to do something other than what they're doing and they aren't responding to coaching or disciplines, then he has lost the room.

Similar to when Boucher lost the room, and they stopped responding to his system. Except Coop has 10x the amount of talent to work with.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ugh...those lines. I don't understand why we don't go back to Drouin / Stamkos / Callahan ... I thought they played very well until Drouin got hurt. Why not put that line back together? I just don't get it...

Brown/Paquette/Callahan ... wtf!!??!! With these lines its like Cooper is doubling down on "defense" instead of finding a way to balance out the lines and players. I like Coop ... but really I just want to punch him in the face right now so he wakes the **** up.

Drouin / Stamkos / Callahan
Palat / Johnson/ Kucherov

That is our top 6 ... wtf is Coop doing?

I guess coop is waiting for Flip and Stamkos to hit a minus 30 before he realizes they don't work. That line was good of Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan it balanced any issues Cally and stammer had and Drouin up there was able to have someone possess the puck and open up plays. I would even swap Kucherov and Callahan in those lines you posted.

Cally And Drouin are now stuck with 4th liners who are limited in offense. I just don't know what to say. I feel more bad for Drouin who may need to leave this team if he is ever going to find success and be in a top 6 role. The fact that Killorn is in the top 6 over Drouin and Cally pisses me off. Before people call me out....

I posted numbers in the other thread and Stamkos, Flip, and Killorn have the worst numbers 5 on 5 this season. So congrats coop for solving our ES scoring by putting the worst ES producers on the top line. I guess he did not learn from after the Kings game. As for punching him in the face, I'll hold him down for you while I steal his gum.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are you ****ing kidding me with this ****? WHEN HAS THAT LINE WORKED?!

Coop wants his shutdown line, which is why Drouin is on the 4th line, but Coop will contradict this and throw his top line against say the Parise line tomorrow for a few shifts and that is when they get smoked. He has done that time after time, and never learns. If Coop plays the 3rd line against the top line all game, then will be fine, but Coop won't do that. He'll put Stamkos/Flip in a defensive face off or two that will lead to a goal against. With 2nd change being at home it's a no brainier.

Like Werewolf said, he is sacrificing offense, to have a shutdown line and more defense, he can easily create three scoring lines but he chooses not to. He needs to untie the rope and let these guys fly.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Nammy - Stamkos - Kuch
Palat - Johnson - Drouin
Killorn - Flip - JAM
Brown - Boyle - Cally

Paquette as the extra forward.

Or

Palat - Stamkos - Drouin
JAM - Johnson - Kuch
Brown - Flip - Cally
Paquette/Nammy - Boyle - Killorn

I'm having a tough time here. JAM can not be sent down. And that leaves us with Paquette and Condra sitting in the press box. I don't fault Coop on playing and sitting players. I do fault him on not being able to get creative with line combos. Either keep Kuch and Stamkos together or put Stamkos with Palat and Drouin and see what happens.

bov

Nov 13, 2010

In fairness, that line was very good in the playoffs last year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat - Johnson - Callahan
Filppula - Namestinikov - Kucherov
Killorn - Stamkos - Brown
Paquette - Boyle - Marchessault
Condra

Drouin in the A especially if he's only getting 10 minutes on the 4th line. Each line has scoring as well as someone defensively responsible.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In fairness, that line was very good in the playoffs last year.

Don't have an issue with that line they will create havoc for the other team, but coop needs to use them right. But taking Flip off that line will limit the scoring chances.

Palat - Johnson - Callahan
Filppula - Namestinikov - Kucherov
Killorn - Stamkos - Brown
Paquette - Boyle - Marchessault
Condra

Drouin in the A especially if he's only getting 10 minutes on the 4th line. Each line has scoring as well as someone defensively responsible.

Hmmm. God forbid we demote Stamkos to the 3rd line.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Finds line combination that works. Reverts back to line combination that has NEVER worked and has displayed NO potential for growth, despite an all-too-large sample size, defying any remaining semblance of common sense and transcending logic itself.

Just Coop things.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Who is a better player in the long term? Brown or paquette.

I say Paquette because he can play center or wing. Both don't bring a ton offensively and solid defensively. Both will need to remain strong defensively and on the PK to stick around long since they don't light up the scoresheet.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Who is a better player in the long term? Brown or paquette.

I'd say Paquette. He's 3 years younger and scored more goals last year than Brown has in his NHL entire career combined. I love Brown's energy and speed but even in this career year he's not going to hit 10 goals.

JS91

May 14, 2014
I'm so confused. We can't score so Coop goes ahead and demotes the only guy Stamkos has looked good with this year to the 4th line along with our future superstar forward who was pretty much our best or second best offensive player before getting injured. Not only that, but he also goes back to the infamous 17-91-51 which has NEVER WORKED. Also he created a 3rd line which I can't see scoring even if we played against an AHL team.

Basically he went back to the strategy of last year which is throw TKO out there at every situation and hope for the best. Everyone else needs to just sit back and defend and let TKO score the goals.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Paquette is better than Brown ... though one plays Center and the other plays Wing. So not really a good comparison. A better question for me is who is better Paquette or Boyle in a fourth line role and PK ... to me its close except Paquette is 10 yrs younger and cheaper.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh for the love of God... I've defended Coop to the death because I truly believe that this team is not nearly as talented as we think it is and it's nearly impossible to coach a team that "isn't pissed yet" according to the captain. That this not as talented team was carried by a god mode line all of last year and through the playoffs and then Marty St. Louis the year before that when Stamkos went down. That without a Superman we are weaker than the Canadiens without Carey Price.

There is no defense for this. I swear if the TKO obsession must persist then put Droun with Stamkos and Callahan. Get Killorn and Filppula as far away from Stamkos as possible. That line worked for about 11 games in the playoffs between the Montreal series and Rangers series. It needs to die and I'm tired of it.

I already had a long week at work and was grumpy. This just has me furious. Thanks for making me look like a dumbass Coop. You went and picked the WORST possible lineup.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh for the love of God... I've defended Coop to the death because I truly believe that this team is not nearly as talented as we think it is and it's nearly impossible to coach a team that "isn't pissed yet" according to the captain. That this not as talented team was carried by a god mode line all of last year and through the playoffs and then Marty St. Louis the year before that when Stamkos went down. That without a Superman we are weaker than the Canadiens without Carey Price.

There is no defense for this. I swear if the TKO obsession must persist then put Droun with Stamkos and Callahan. Get Killorn and Filppula as far away from Stamkos as possible. That line worked for about 11 games in the playoffs between the Montreal series and Rangers series. It needs to die and I'm tired of it.

I already had a long week at work and was grumpy. This just has me furious. Thanks for making me look like a dumbass Coop. You went and picked the WORST possible lineup.

I'm just so confused right now. Don't even want to watch tonight's game.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
For all that is being said...it is fair to say Montreal losses a top forward and their goalie and goes reeling. We lost the equivalent of:

Gallagher - Palat (top 6 winger)
Plekanec - Johnson (first/second line center)
Galchenyuk - Drouin (young forward)
Desharnais - Paquette (third line Center)
Mitchell - Boyle (fourth line Center)

Imagine if Montreal lost these many players...they only lost one (Gallagher) and went reeling. For all that is being said...kudos to Cooper for keeping their head above water after all these injuries. And even if we lose Bishop to injury - Vasilevskiy is a hundred times better than Condon and Tokarski. So from that standpoint we are better suited to withstand a goalie injury as well so both Yzerman and Cooper deserve some appeciation.

If we can only get Cooper to fix some of his lines...but we are lucky to still be where we are after all that. Anyone remember Columbus last year...? Similar injury situation but we are still in playoff contention where they were bottom dwelling team until they got everyone back at the end of the season.

So glass half full here even though I suffer from the frustration same as everyone as well from time to time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
A good, positive spin on it Wolf. Injuries have devastated our lineup to the point where it hasn't been fair. Were we healthy all year then maybe we get it together and maybe we sit at 1st in the division. Who knows? We seem to be healthy now with the likely return of Ondrej Palat. All I can say is that it's not a moment too soon and from this point on we need to make the best lines possible. But I don't think we have that going into tonight.

I know little about coaching and I'll admit that. But fans ARE offered the same powers of observation as a coach when they watch the games every night. KFC + Stamkos = disaster. I don't know if Cooper is justified by keeping Drouin on the bottom right now and keeping Callahan split away from Stamkos. I don't know if it's right to give Killorn and Filppula top line minutes anymore. The one consistency that has never failed to amaze me the most is by how handicapped we are by one player at the top. All one has to do is say, "Look how far out of his way Cooper has to go to accommodate Stamkos" and suddenly a lightbulb goes off. And it's "Ohhh yeah!! Get it together captain!"

I'm just very frustrated with both of them right now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not even mad at Coop anymore. Drouin wasn't even an option since he's going back to the minors. It's wiser to try to see if the TKO line clicks than to hope and pray that Stamkos and Kucherov somehow manage a goal between them

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A good, positive spin on it Wolf. Injuries have devastated our lineup to the point where it hasn't been fair. Were we healthy all year then maybe we get it together and maybe we sit at 1st in the division. Who knows? We seem to be healthy now with the likely return of Ondrej Palat. All I can say is that it's not a moment too soon and from this point on we need to make the best lines possible. But I don't think we have that going into tonight.

I know little about coaching and I'll admit that. But fans ARE offered the same powers of observation as a coach when they watch the games every night. KFC + Stamkos = disaster. I don't know if Cooper is justified by keeping Drouin on the bottom right now and keeping Callahan split away from Stamkos. I don't know if it's right to give Killorn and Filppula top line minutes anymore. The one consistency that has never failed to amaze me the most is by how handicapped we are by one player at the top. All one has to do is say, "Look how far out of his way Cooper has to go to accommodate Stamkos" and suddenly a lightbulb goes off. And it's "Ohhh yeah!! Get it together captain!"

I'm just very frustrated with both of them right now.

I agree about Stamkos away from Cally, but now coop goes back to the next worse thing. You want Cally to score more, well Coop is not exactly helping him in that situation. He is being used more for a shutdown role which he has been very good this season. He'll continue to do that but don't expect much offense from him with 2nd PP time and a 3rd line shutdown role. Truth be told he has been more productive than both flip and Killorn 5 on 5 yet he is being thrown on the 3rd line. The PP has been a key reason for his goal struggles, no pucks to poach in front of the net.

I still have some hope for this team to turn around this season but not sure how long that hope I have will last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad