(Official) Around the NHL 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
maybe we can trade for Boedker now that he's got a 1 yr deal! :naughty:
Maloney seems low on him to not sign him to a longer deal, OR it's the whole money situation.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
In the thread on the main board Boedker wanted a long term deal but Maloney wouldn't have it.

I heard it was the other way around.

Maloney wanted a long term deal, but Boedker wanted to hit FA early at 25.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Vancouver is slipping softly into a rebuild without really admitting it, and these two players will probably be dealt at the deadline for first-round picks, at which point Benning will come out and admit that it's rebuild time. By god, he really is their Feaster.

Aug 21, 2014
Vancouver is slipping softly into a rebuild without really admitting it, and these two players will probably be dealt at the deadline for first-round picks, at which point Benning will come out and admit that it's rebuild time. By god, he really is their Feaster.

I don't think they'll get good return like that. If I was a Nucks fan I'd be looking at meat and potatoes. Lots of meat and potatoes.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia

Once the Sedins are done their team is anyway. Better for them to start early and begin the process softly like Boston.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Once the Sedins are done their team is anyway. Better for them to start early and begin the process softly like Boston.

Yup. Similar to what Feaster did here to try to fill in the age gaps in our organization and solidify the prospect base before the Iginla/Bouwmeester trades, Benning needs to make pre-emptive moves if he wants to avoid an Oileresque rebuild with several years of misery. I doubt they'll be able to actually ever trade the Sedins, though, and as long as they're there, it will be hard for them to scorch earth with a full rebuild.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Vancouver is adding players they need in the age group of 21-24. Some decent acquisitions during this past season like Clendening, Sven, Pedan, Vey. They have an alright pool with Shinkaruk, Virtanen McCan and Boeser. They are in a far better position in their prospect base than Calgary to start a rebuild because they recognized the concern to change up the team much earlier.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Even the assistant GM is the same. :D

Aug 3, 2010

I'm -almost- sympathetic. It's not going to be a fun or easy challenge to rebuild when your team's best players, however old, pretty much can't be moved for futures because nobody can take the salary hit of two star contracts.

I doubt Vancouver ownership want to retain money on their contracts, either. Their best move, if you can call it that for their situation, is to have the Sedins play out their contracts on the Canucks and be the mentors of the young group.

Who would've thought that redhead twins would turn out to be such a curse? :sarcasm:

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
The nucks are retooling a bit while trying to stay competitive. Good for them. Rather a team do that than outright tank. Moves like a 2nd for Sven are decent gambles.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm -almost- sympathetic. It's not going to be a fun or easy challenge to rebuild when your team's best players, however old, pretty much can't be moved for futures because nobody can take the salary hit of two star contracts.

I doubt Vancouver ownership want to retain money on their contracts, either. Their best move, if you can call it that for their situation, is to have the Sedins play out their contracts on the Canucks and be the mentors of the young group.

Who would've thought that redhead twins would turn out to be such a curse? :sarcasm:

Yeah they would need to retain like 50% on both and take a contract back for a playoff caliber team to load up. Having said that, you would think it would be a pretty awesome return/trade that would be beneficial to officially start the rebuild.

Aug 3, 2010
It's also going to be a case where the presence and ability of the Sedins might hold them off of being a lottery team until they are moved or retire. They're consummate pros with the competitive streak to match - they're declining but won't want to lay down.

Plus, if they do manage to get traded, you know it's going to be an Eastern team most likely, meaning the management has even less to work with.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really don't think you can trade them, honestly. You would have to trade them both, that's about 14 million in total cap for the next 3 seasons! I can't see any GM in his right mind being willing to take that on let alone give good value for them. They are basically stuck with them. The best thing for Vancouver would honestly be if they went back to play in Sweden, it would speed along their rebuild immensely and help them to get a top pick. They will be stuck in the middle of the league until that happens and they are untradable and also preventing them from bottoming out. The Nucks are not very good at drafting so they are in a terrible position right now.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really don't think you can trade them, honestly. You would have to trade them both, that's about 14 million in total cap for the next 3 seasons! I can't see any GM in his right mind being willing to take that on let alone give good value for them. They are basically stuck with them. The best thing for Vancouver would honestly be if they went back to play in Sweden, it would speed along their rebuild immensely and help them to get a top pick. They will be stuck in the middle of the league until that happens and they are untradable and also preventing them from bottoming out. The Nucks are not very good at drafting so they are in a terrible position right now.

I dunno about that. Think about how our rebuild would of gone without Gio. I think the Sedin's are that same core piece of leadership for the Canucks. I think in the long run they would be better off keeping them around honestly. Also like you say, it will be hard to get a solid return for them in a trade.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I dunno about that. Think about how our rebuild would of gone without Gio. I think the Sedin's are that same core piece of leadership for the Canucks. I think in the long run they would be better off keeping them around honestly. Also like you say, it will be hard to get a solid return for them in a trade.

They aren't at the same stage as Gio was at this point, though. They have started to decline. Our rebuild started right as Gio hit his prime.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

If I was Benning, I'd literally trade every other piece close to or over 30 that would bring in a quality piece to help to speed along the rebuild. Weisbrod would be an asset here. In regards to my other point, the Sedins are having a Kipper effect and masking a lot of their issues. It would be best to cut bait IMO, but for reasons I stated it would be a challenge to move them. I agree 100% though you can't trade everyone, perhaps they would be very good mentors. They really do seem like extremely classy individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad