Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
As someone that has had a cellphone probably longer than most of the people here have been alive...

The battery thing is probably the stupidest want/ask I have ever seen that is still existing. I used to hate carrying an extra battery for my Motorola. I even continued that with my Startac and then into my S4 and S5 and Notes...the fact that batteries are getting better and better and charging is getting faster and faster, I see no reason why they should ever change that and I hope they never do.

I had all those Motorola's lol. Yes, the extra brick battery was a pain but they only lasted a few hours

Anyone complaining about adding interchangeable batteries should buy a battery case. This is the same exact phone I bought two years ago, X, with minor upgrades and it is getting annoying for two reasons. The XS should be discounted more at this point but it's not... $100 difference on ATT's site. I told them I was going to walk so they have given me a loyalty credit towards the 11 or XS but with $100 difference might as well do the 11. My phone is getting wonky, slow and battery needs to be changed anyway. The 5G will be the one next year provided the network has decent coverage. I can sell my X for $500 which is still insane after two years, get the 11 for a $250.00

Yeah.. lack of customization continues to be annoying.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am thinking about upgrading from my XS Max 512gb to the Pro Max 512, I do like that Midnight Green.

But also like...with the IOS13 coming out, will the differences be that noticeable between the two phones?

On one hand, I want a new device because I am just that ass, but also, if I can somehow more usage out of my phone that I have right now...should I?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I am thinking about upgrading from my XS Max 512gb to the Pro Max 512, I do like that Midnight Green.

But also like...with the IOS13 coming out, will the differences be that noticeable between the two phones?

On one hand, I want a new device because I am just that ass, but also, if I can somehow more usage out of my phone that I have right now...should I?

If I had the XS I would not be getting this phone. Wait for 5G. The only difference is the camera and processor. The OS will work the same on both.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The issue has never been hardware, it's always been software with Apple, they can keep making all these crazy advances in wicked cameras and fast processors, but if your OS still restricts you from doing a lot of the normal things you can do with an Android phone, you're limiting yourself from the growth people really want. I get the simplicity of IOS and it's why I switched over to it a few years ago, but there are some things I still miss.

One of the biggest gripes for me is that you have all these gadgets and you still can't figure out how to make the Pencil work with any of your iterations of Iphones in the last 2-3yrs? That's a huge drawback. You have this massive screen, you show off the ability to use drawing apps, notes, etc. But you give us no ****ing way to utilize that to its best ability.

I was a heavy Note user for a long time, so it was something I really was hoping would happen.

Why would Apple waste time, money, and effort on something as moronic as Pencil support for the iPhone?

Yeah.. lack of customization continues to be annoying.

Apple has already added too much customization. Choices make for a bad user experience. No more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why would Apple waste time, money, and effort on something as moronic as Pencil support for the iPhone?

Apple has already added too much customization. Choices make for a bad user experience. No more.
Because adding that big of a screen and not offering the ability to use such a great tool on more devices limits them with their own products.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I bought an Iphone XR last year after a year with Android and not really liking Android Auto and after this event, I'm glad I did that. I have no reason to buy those ugly Iphone 11s. I was thinking about the Watch though, maybe the series 3. I used to say to myself I have no reason for the Watch but for some reason the more I see it the more interested I am with it. For anyone who has the watch, how would you sell it to someone who might be cynical, and is the Watch 3 worth it at this time, even over the watch 5 if this is your first one?
I was in the same boat
Saw no compelling reason to get a watch but I eventually bought a Series 3, Nike + Edition.
The series 4 wasn’t worth for me, considering the price difference

I love it, getting notifications, being able to leave the iPhone at home when I go to the gym and connecting my Airpods to my watch to listen to music (if you’re subscribed to Apple Music you can download music to your watch)

I have the non-cellular version

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Ios 13.1 Beta is great on my X

I’m into photography so the new camera setup and night mode are enticing

But I’ll wait

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ios 13.1 Beta is great on my X

I’m into photography so the new camera setup and night mode are enticing

But I’ll wait
I just did the update. I need to test out the camera. Although I admit I don’t tinker with it much outside of being sloshed and attempting to take artsy photographs to show my gf.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Apple announced that they're moving the 13.1 update (which will have new features included) has been moved up a week to Tuesday next week. I'll probably just wait until then.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Dark Mode is once again, something glorious that we should have had a long time ago. Ditto the swipe keyboard.
Dark mode is great

Some apps have already been updated to iOS 13 dark mode, meaning that they will automatically switched to dark or light mode as part of the system (Twitter has just been updated for that so I’m expecting Instagram and co to follow suit)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let us know the results
Dark mode is great, I haven't really noticed a difference in speed yet, I also haven't tinkered with the camera update, but so far I really like dark mode and the volume thing off to the corner. I will explore more of it later.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
CarPlay FINALLY has album art, and not just as a blurry background mess. A nice maps/music hybrid screen. And some other edges have been smoothed. Not sure why they can only do an update once per year, but this is...nice.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Dark mode is great, I haven't really noticed a difference in speed yet, I also haven't tinkered with the camera update, but so far I really like dark mode and the volume thing off to the corner. I will explore more of it later.
The volume thing is fun. It shows up right beside the volume rocker in portrait, and at the top of the screen in landscape. Can’t believe we spent all those years with a screen-blocking eyesore every time we wanted to change the volume on a video.

Even better is the ability to “grab” the scroll bar on the right of a webpage and scroll slow or fast with it. Way, way overdue features that Android did a long time ago.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Dark mode and swipe text is freaking awesome. Otherwise, there's no difference (other than a couple specific apps).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Everything seems faster on my existing X after loading up 13. Also like the swipe texting, welcome to 2009 Apple.

I should be receiving my 11 today with very little difference in performance.
Yeah seeing my performance now on my xs max, glad I didn’t preorder the 11. I’ll wait for the new one next year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Dark mode and swipe text is freaking awesome. Otherwise, there's no difference (other than a couple specific apps).
People mock the swipe thing and the fact that android had it etc but it works better on Apple for whatever reason. Also I’ll never not love the space press to find my spot to edit as a mouse cursor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad