xxxxxx
xxxxx

Chased By Trolls

Generational Talent
Mar 18, 2002
Tampere, Finland
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Dynamo is proud to select German goaltender Olaf Kolzig!

Isn't he ineligible?

Bergeron47 said:
12 Hour Time Limit If the manager ahead of you has taken more than 20 hours, by all means, make your pick. If you pick is missed, you make your pick as soon as you can, regardless of how many people have passed you.
You may trade your picks.
We'll be drafting 12 FWDS, 6 D, 2 G. You can draft any player as long as he was born in any part of Europe, Russia, or Former Soviet Union. Players eligible did NOT have to play in the NHL. The player you draft is ineligible if they have played for a National team outside of Europe, Russia, Former Soviet Union.

Kölzig was born in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nortti&Volvo said:
Isn't he ineligible?

Kölzig was born in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry about that, I didn't even think about it when I posted the pick up.
Dynamo, please re-pick a player.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Bergeron47 said:
Thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry about that, I didn't even think about it when I posted the pick up.
Dynamo, please re-pick a player.

It's the rule, but that's just dumb. He is as much South African as Dany Heatley is German. He's not a South African, he's a European, and this is the all-time European draft. But, I can get past that, as it's a technicallity that doesn't go my way, though it doesn't make much sense. What I can't get past is the fact that a round of players have been selected before this was pointed out. I didn't clearly understand the rule when I picked him, but neither did you, and now I have to take a lesser player because no one could point this out.

I could care less if he's ineligible. I could live with paying for a mistake I made, but I'm not paying for yours.

With the pick that's up now anyways, I'm picking Hakan Loob. I'm refraining from making the Kolzig repick, untill this is settled.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It's the rule, but that's just dumb. He is as much South African as Dany Heatley is German. He's not a South African, he's a European, and this is the all-time European draft. But, I can get past that, as it's a technicallity that doesn't go my way, though it doesn't make much sense. What I can't get past is the fact that a round of players have been selected before this was pointed out. I didn't clearly understand the rule when I picked him, but neither did you, and now I have to take a lesser player because no one could point this out.

I could care less if he's ineligible. I could live with paying for a mistake I made, but I'm not paying for yours.

With the pick that's up now anyways, I'm picking Hakan Loob. I'm refraining from making the Kolzig repick, untill this is settled.

Bergeron47 said:
You can draft any player as long as he was born in any part of Europe, Russia, or Former Soviet Union. Players eligible did NOT have to play in the NHL. The player you draft is ineligible if they have played for a National team outside of Europe, Russia, Former Soviet Union.
Notice here, I clearly stated the validity of a player, and it is not my problem to make sure everyone reads it. I posted it at the very beginning, and every single other team in this draft has followed them.

Hercules Rockefellar said:
I didn't clearly understand the rule when I picked him, but neither did you...
I find this very hard to believe, as in the early rounds, you tried selecting Stan Mikita. If this didn't make you look twice at the rules, it just shows your disconcern for the whole draft. I obviously did understand the rule, because I made it. I don't just have the time to search every player that's been drafted, that's the job of the people who are drafting.

...and now I have to take a lesser player because no one could point this out.
No.. Now you have to take a lesser player because you went against the rules. It is not the job of anyone else to acknowledge an invalid pick, and you should thank Nortti&Volvo for not waiting until the end of the draft to point this out.

I could care less if he's ineligible.
Again proving your disconcern. The league shouldn't pay for your mistake, you should.

I'm refraining from making the Kolzig repick, untill this is settled.
It's pretty ironic that you are complaining for a lesser player for your invalid pick, and then you state that you are going to wait even longer.

What do you want me to do? Erase every pick up until your Kolzig pick because you made a mistake? Change the rules to fit your agenda? I don't think so. If I allow this invalid pick, others will want to make invalid picks. If you are concerned about getting a lwsser player, I'd make your pick now, instead of waiting for others to pick in the next few days.

Chased By Trolls

Generational Talent
Mar 18, 2002
Tampere, Finland
Visit site
I think the rule is pretty clear, and it's no-one else's job to make sure your picks are legit. But since no-one noticed it at first (and I just want things to go smoothly), and if Bergeron47 is ok with it and unless anyone else is opposed to it, it's fine by me if Hercules Rockefeller keeps Kölzig.

I don't think he's European though. Has he ever even lived a single day in Europe? He was born in Africa and has lived his life in North America. He has a passport because his parents were German (right?) but I don't think he even speaks the language. I don't think a piece of paper like a passport makes anyone European.

But anyway, if it's up to me, you can keep him.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Bergeron47 said:
I find this very hard to believe, as in the early rounds, you tried selecting Stan Mikita. If this didn't make you look twice at the rules, it just shows your disconcern for the whole draft. I obviously did understand the rule, because I made it. I don't just have the time to search every player that's been drafted, that's the job of the people who are drafting.

To tell you the truth, I didn't know Mikita played for Canada at the Summit Series. The only players I knew off that team are the Espositos, Clarke, Dryden, and Brad Park.

No.. Now you have to take a lesser player because you went against the rules. It is not the job of anyone else to acknowledge an invalid pick, and you should thank Nortti&Volvo for not waiting until the end of the draft to point this out.

You are the manager of this draft. It is my fault for making the invalid pick, but it is also your fault for not knowing your own rules enough to point it out. I did not read the rules clearly enough, but making me pick a much lesser player because one guy noticed it 9 picks later is not right.

Again proving your disconcern. The league shouldn't pay for your mistake, you should.

If the league knew it's own rules well enough, I wouldn't be paying for my mistake. I've accepted that I made a mistake, now it's time for you to accept you've made one too.

It's pretty ironic that you are complaining for a lesser player for your invalid pick, and then you state that you are going to wait even longer.

What do you want me to do? Erase every pick up until your Kolzig pick because you made a mistake? Change the rules to fit your agenda? I don't think so. If I allow this invalid pick, others will want to make invalid picks. If you are concerned about getting a lwsser player, I'd make your pick now, instead of waiting for others to pick in the next few days.

He's invalid by a technicallity. It's not like he's South African. If you are having trouble understanding my protest, look at it this way:

Let's say you're George McPhee, all ready for this year's entry draft. You go ahead, and as expected, you take Alexander Ovechkin. Then, once the first round is over, someone else points out to Gary Bettman a rule that makes Ovechkin invalid, a rule that Bettman and yourself forgot about, and it's also the slightest of technicallities. So, though the first round is over Bettman makes you re-pick, with alot lesser players. What do you think would happen? Either Bettman would ignore the rule, or, Washington would file for a huge grievance, and they would have grounds for one, because they may have made a mistake, but also, BETTMAN MADE A MISTAKE. Bettman would have no right in saying he made Washington give up good prospect for a very lesser one just because one guy noticed this rule a round later.

You have to realize neither of us knew the rule off the top of our heads, and while I made an invalid pick, you should know your own draft well enough to know which players are ineligible and which are eligible. Well, maybe that's going too far, but with a player as big as Kolzig, you should know.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
To tell you the truth, I didn't know Mikita played for Canada at the Summit Series. The only players I knew off that team are the Espositos, Clarke, Dryden, and Brad Park.
I'm not denying the fact that you didn't know Mikita played for Team Canada. I am saying if I pointed out the invalidity of the player, it probably would have been wise to actually check the rules for 'next time'.

You are the manager of this draft. It is my fault for making the invalid pick, but it is also your fault for not knowing your own rules enough to point it out. I did not read the rules clearly enough, but making me pick a much lesser player because one guy noticed it 9 picks later is not right.
I admit I made the mistake of not checking who every single player drafted was born. I'm not going to start now either.

If the league knew it's own rules well enough, I wouldn't be paying for my mistake. I've accepted that I made a mistake, now it's time for you to accept you've made one too.
If you knew the rules well enough, you wouldn't have even made the mistake. Quit blaming everyone else for your mistake and accept the consequences!

He's invalid by a technicallity. It's not like he's South African.
It's not like he's European either! Having a player born outside of Europe, and not being raised in Europe isn't exacly European.

If you are having trouble understanding my protest, look at it this way:

Let's say you're George McPhee, all ready for this year's entry draft. You go ahead, and as expected, you take Alexander Ovechkin. Then, once the first round is over, someone else points out to Gary Bettman a rule that makes Ovechkin invalid, a rule that Bettman and yourself forgot about, and it's also the slightest of technicallities. So, though the first round is over Bettman makes you re-pick, with alot lesser players. What do you think would happen? Either Bettman would ignore the rule, or, Washington would file for a huge grievance, and they would have grounds for one, because they may have made a mistake, but also, BETTMAN MADE A MISTAKE. Bettman would have no right in saying he made Washington give up good prospect for a very lesser one just because one guy noticed this rule a round later.

You have to realize neither of us knew the rule off the top of our heads, and while I made an invalid pick, you should know your own draft well enough to know which players are ineligible and which are eligible. Well, maybe that's going too far, but with a player as big as Kolzig, you should know.
I'm not George McPhee, and this isn'y even close to being like the NHL. This is based solely for fun. By complaining, you're taking the fun out for everyone. I can almost bet that you'll be one of those parents that screams and yells at a 15 year old referee at your 6 year old son's hockey game. This doesn't count for anything. Your career won't be jeoperdized (sp?) if you have to re-pick.

The situation you told me was real-life. This is fantasy. There is a fine line, and you need to let it go.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sorry bout the whole mess. I've really been stressed out, with finals and all, and have been real pissy lately. It happened to me in a draft before, where money was involved, and I completely forgot that this is just for fun, and overreacted. It won't happen again.

As for my picks to make up, I'll take goalie Tommy Salo and defenseman Frederik Olausson!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Sorry bout the whole mess. I've really been stressed out, with finals and all, and have been real pissy lately. It happened to me in a draft before, where money was involved, and I completely forgot that this is just for fun, and overreacted. It won't happen again.

As for my picks to make up, I'll take goalie Tommy Salo and defenseman Frederik Olausson!

No problem. I'm glad we got this resolved. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad