Official 2023 Coyotes OFF Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ya but team need wise you need to start drafting a backend and if we took two more forwards in the 1st, what blue chip d prospects do we have? Lameroux? Duda? That is not very promising.
I’m that scenario, Dragicevic. And then one of these very intriguing blueliners in this draft. Jiricek, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Silayev, etc.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just think some of you guys have too much patience if you want to wait another 5 years to see how these guys end up. This organization NEEDS to be in a playoff spot in 2 years from now. We are in year 3 of the rebuild now, right? I think taking guys who could make an impact in the next couple of years, and play in the best development program in the world, aka the CHL would have been better than taking two Russians who play in the "3rd best league" not 2nd. And are barely playing to put more salt on the wound lol.

BA gives me the vibe that he sometimes wants to be the smartest guy in the room, and I think these Russian picks backfire. Hopefully I am wrong.
Who said anything about another 5 yrs. I believe the organization are thinking playoffs the season after this one.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I’d trade Simashev for Benson right now. No problem. Easy.

But I’m not about to have a tantrum because we went with Simashev. I’m not a scout. I’m just a junior hockey enthusiast.
I bought into the Unicorn....as I type it sounds foolish....I guess I'm saying go ahead and "fool me once BA"

Tantrums at this stage are wasted....we need to let them cook....just like our prospects.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ya but team need wise you need to start drafting a backend and if we took two more forwards in the 1st, what blue chip d prospects do we have? Lameroux? Duda? That is not very promising.
Moser. Valimaki. Lamerous. Dudas. Szuber. Langois, Soderstrom. Dermott seems to be a decent reclamation project. This draft is stacked with D men as well. That’s been my main focus on viewings thus far for 24 draft.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Moser. Valimaki. Lamerous. Dudas. Szuber. Langois, Soderstrom. Dermott seems to be a decent reclamation project. This draft is stacked with D men as well. That’s been my main focus on viewings thus far for 24 draft.
Ya these guys are all decent options, but none of them are going to be an elite #1D imo. I get the 24 draft, but if we are drafting at #10-14 next year we prob won't get one of the best guys. Simashev has the best chance of anybody to become an elite #1.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I still think 1 of the reasons they drafted 2 Russians in the 1st round was that they likely will be NHL ready (or close) by the time they sign their ELCs and will be awhile before they have 2 sign a new contract. That's 5 years? Just saying that the Coyotes don't have to worry about giving out those contracts for 2 more years. In a way it's appealing. After this transitioning phase is completed (or close to it).

So you're saying we'll find a decent blue liner when we pick in the 30s?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ya these guys are all decent options, but none of them are going to be an elite #1D imo. I get the 24 draft, but if we are drafting at #10-14 next year we prob won't get one of the best guys. Simashev has the best chance of anybody to become an elite #1.
We may have to burn some draft capital to get a guy like we did Durzi who i forgot the n my earlier list.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
OHL by a good margin. W and then Q.
How can you say by a good margin?

The WHL produced Bedard, Benson, and Danielson, who all went in the top 15. The first OHL guy was Barlow at #18.

2023 NHL draft:

WHL: 33 players
OHL: 35 players

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm quite happy with the way things are shaking out. Even if some of these guys bust, we have a significant number of picks we've made, and will continue to make. I almost want to see if there's a top 6 LW in the 24-28 age range we could add. I'd also love if we had 6 ~2-5 level dmen. An elite #1 would be great, but they're hard to come by. I feel like it's the hardest position to fill. Doesn't matter if it's LD or RD, the every situation difference makers seem so rare.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

The WHL produced Bedard, Benson, and Danielson, who all went in the top 15. The first OHL guy was Barlow at #18.

2023 NHL draft:

Sure if you’re talking about a single class.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
They have been neck and neck for the past 25 years. Far from just a single class. Idk how you can argue that...

Not only is OHL ahead in total numbers but also more top picks (7 out of 10 first overall between the Kane and McDavid drafts) and better quality as well.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Not only is OHL ahead in total numbers but also more top picks (7 out of 10 first overall between the Kane and McDavid drafts) and better quality as well.
The last 5 years would say otherwise. This past years draft especially. Years ago the OHL was far ahead, but things have changed in the past 5-10 years. More kids from Western Canada are making a far bigger impact, I'd say this is mainly due to the demographics of Ontario compared to the West.

Top 50 draft picks(WHL)
Bedard
Benson
Danielson
Yager
Honzek
Molendyk
Myatovic
Cristall
Lind

Top 50 draft picks(OHL)
Barlow
Bonk
Musty
Ritchie
Cowan
Gibson
Rehpkof

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Have you watched Danielson and Benson play in the pre-season big guy? Benson is making the roster, and is 3rd in pre-season scoring. Danielson also looks like he is making the roster, and has looked damn good for Detroit. These two guys think the game at a high level and that is something you can't teach. Both were developed in the WHL, which is imo the best prospect development league in the world.

I am not shitting on the organization. I am shitting on BA taking two unknowns, who play in a corrupt shithole and are not getting great development.
We’ll we all new patience would be involved with these two, but the observation that it hasn’t started well is valid.

Reactions: Jakey53

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Is it odd for Boyd to be put through waivers if they plan on keeping him in Tempe, unless if they have a deal worked out where a team is looking to waive someone that may have value to the Coyotes? I was thinking about Roslovic. On an expiring contract, still keeps the Coyotes from using LTIR, plays RW, questionable hockey IQ. The BJs don't have to worry about sending Boyd through waivers (a little premature). They still need to lessen their roster.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is it odd for Boyd to be put through waivers if they plan on keeping him in Tempe, unless if they have a deal worked out where a team is looking to waive someone that may have value to the Coyotes? I was thinking about Roslovic. On an expiring contract, still keeps the Coyotes from using LTIR, plays RW, questionable hockey IQ. The BJs don't have to worry about sending Boyd through waivers (a little premature). They still need to lessen their roster.
I think Roslovic is part of the Keller/Fischer crew of mid-western USA Hockey guys who went through the program at the same time.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

2023 NHL draft:

Well, this year was an anomaly with all the best Cdn juniors coming from the WHL.

I think the WHL ranks behind the OHL and the NCAA for producing NHL players.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This is my feeling too. Why waive Boyd at all? There wasn't a need to put anyone else through waivers. It seems unnecessary and there's at least a chance someone takes his contract.

They must want to test if another club will take Boyd's contract so they can use the $2M elsewhere, right? Otherwise, what's the point?

Reactions: Jakey53 and Schemp

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is my feeling too. Why waive Boyd at all? There wasn't a need to put anyone else through waivers. It seems unnecessary and there's at least a chance someone takes his contract.

They must want to test if another club will take Boyd's contract so they can use the $2M elsewhere, right? Otherwise, what's the point?
BA has a method to his madness, I would hope.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Sorry to disturb, I was wondering who you guys expect to play the flanks on the pp? Keller is on one side I'm sure but with Guenther sent down I was wondering if it was likely to be cooley or macielli? Macielli seems made for the powerplay with his vision, hope you guys have a fun season !

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Sorry to disturb, I was wondering who you guys expect to play the flanks on the pp? Keller is on one side I'm sure but with Guenther sent down I was wondering if it was likely to be cooley or macielli? Macielli seems made for the powerplay with his vision, hope you guys have a fun season !
PP1 is: Keller/Schmaltz on the wing, Durzi up top and PP2 is: Maccelli/Zucker on the wing, Cooley up top

Not sure how much things will get mixed up now that Guenther is down on the farm. Hayton was on PP1 in front of the goalie with Bjugstad playing that role on PP2, Crouse had the bumper on PP2 and I'm sure that Kerfoot will replace Guenther on the bumper on PP1

Just my guess.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Towards the end of last season , maccelli had finally moved to pp1 , hopefully they find a way to keep him there this year .

Also would love to see Cooley on a line with maccelli . They would be too much too handle together I reckon . I wonder why tourigny would not even try it once during preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad