Official 2023 Coyotes OFF Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Puljujarvi isn't doing any better in Raleigh than Edmonton, judging from score sheets. I'm guessing they won't qualify him - he's not earning his current salary. I think we should bring him in for 3RW duty.

Bear needs a project for next season. He's already got the rest of the roster bought in.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Puljujarvi isn't doing any better in Raleigh than Edmonton, judging from score sheets. I'm guessing they won't qualify him - he's not earning his current salary. I think we should bring him in for 3RW duty.

Bear needs a project for next season. He's already got the rest of the roster bought in.

I'll take Bailey for a 2nd please.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Bailey is getting healthy scratched in favour of Hudson Fasching.

I don't hate 2nd round picks but I think I prefer the upside on Puljujarvi.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Buyout Kassian
KEEP INGRAM
Only add cap dumps if there's an overpayment

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Guenther
Crouse Cooley Boyd
Jenik Smith Fischer
OBrien

Valimaki Moser
Nemeth Soderstrom
Kolyachonok Kesselring
Brown

Vejmelka
Ingram
So...how much better is that roster than the current one? Can it make a 50 goal differential? Score 30 more and let in 20 fewer?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ok guys, remember that we roll lines with different purposes in mind and need players w specific skill sets for those purposes. Cooley should never center the 3rd or 4 line. If you don’t want him to center the 2nd line put him on the wing.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Ok guys, remember that we roll lines with different purposes in mind and need players w specific skill sets for those purposes. Cooley should never center the 3rd or 4 line. If you don’t want him to center the 2nd line put him on the wing.
I can see this as a problem with Guenther too. If you believe Keller, Schmaltz, Maccelli, Crouse, and Hayton are the current top 6 players on the roster then there's only room for one of Cooley or Guenther.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
You think that a rookie season flanked by Crouse and Boyd would be so damaging to Cooley that the idea shouldn't even be entertained?

I can see this as a problem with Guenther too. If you believe Keller, Schmaltz, Maccelli, Crouse, and Hayton are the current top 6 players on the roster then there's only room for one of Cooley or Guenther.

In permaculture we often say that the problem is the solution. If you flip that 6 upside down your problem disappears.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Buyout Kassian
KEEP INGRAM

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Guenther
Crouse Cooley Boyd
Jenik Smith Fischer
OBrien

Valimaki Moser
Nemeth Soderstrom
Kolyachonok Kesselring
Brown

Vejmelka
Ingram

What are your powerplay/PK units?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Buyout Kassian
KEEP INGRAM

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Guenther
Crouse Cooley Boyd
Jenik Smith Fischer
OBrien

Valimaki Moser
Nemeth Soderstrom
Kolyachonok Kesselring
Brown

Vejmelka
Ingram

Word is Ingram is asking for big money and he has arbitration rights. Might not be able to keep him.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Play will dictate where they play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Word is Ingram is asking for big money and he has arbitration rights. Might not be able to keep him.
What's big money? He has played a total of 30 NHL games. Veggie played a total of 52 NHL and then signed his deal for 2.7. Both are same age, very similar stats, so my guess he is asking Veggie money, or close to it. Prosvetov is 24, but not as good stat wise. He would be cheaper for sure, but it will depend if they think he can get better. Veggie returned to his inconsistency later in the year as well, where Ingram became much more consistent the more he played. It will be interesting.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What's big money? He has played a total of 30 NHL games. Veggie played a total of 52 NHL and then signed his deal for 2.7. Both are same age, very similar stats, so my guess he is asking Veggie money, or close to it. Prosvetov is 24, but not as good stat wise. He would be cheaper for sure, but it will depend if they think he can get better. Veggie returned to his inconsistency later in the year as well, where Ingram became much more consistent the more he played. It will be interesting.
How does Ingram’s stats compare to Wedgewood? What did he sign for?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
2 years, $1m per.

Ingram was decent and I wouldn't mind bringing him back for Wedgewood's deal. I'd go up on $$$ but not on term, multi-year goalie contracts scare me.
Buyout Kassian
KEEP INGRAM

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Guenther
Crouse Cooley Boyd
Jenik Smith Fischer
OBrien

Valimaki Moser
Nemeth Soderstrom
Kolyachonok Kesselring
Brown

Vejmelka
Ingram
This team has plenty of cap space, and McBain, Smith and Fischer are far from proven locks. Smith has done nothing in the NHL, I'd be happy to accept a bribe and bring in an overpriced vet in that spot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2 years, $1m per.

Ingram was decent and I wouldn't mind bringing him back for Wedgewood's deal. I'd go up on $$$ but not on term, multi-year goalie contracts scare me.

This team has plenty of cap space, and McBain, Smith and Fischer are far from proven locks. Smith has done nothing in the NHL, I'd be happy to accept a bribe and bring in an overpriced vet in that spot.
McBain is absolutely a proven lock. He was one of only two forwards in the entire NHL with over 300 hits. He has a full 110 more hits than even Lawson Crouse who generally leads the team in this category. He was 7th among Coyotes forwards in TOI and EV TOI and 2nd among Coyotes forwards in PK TOI. He was 3rd among Coyotes forwards in blocked shots. His FOs steadily improved and he ended up 44% on the season. As a team, AZ was 29th in the league with only 45% FO%. And he beat the wheels off of four dudes in fights this year. Just smoked guys.

He did this as a rookie out of college without minor league seasoning. This is a unicorn player in the making.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Buyout Kassian
KEEP INGRAM

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Maccelli McBain Guenther
Crouse Cooley Boyd
Jenik Smith Fischer
OBrien

Valimaki Moser
Nemeth Soderstrom
Kolyachonok Kesselring
Brown

Vejmelka
Ingram
Forward core has tons of potential especially considering the guy they are adding this summer :hockey:

The D core really needs some help.

This is a team that was bottom 10 in GAA and that likely wont improve with 3 rookies and Nemeth and Brown all playing.

There are some good UFA D this summer (Dumba, Mayfield, Severson, Gavrikov, Soucy...) it would be nice if one of them can be recruited to the desert.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
McBain is absolutely a proven lock. He was one of only two forwards in the entire NHL with over 300 hits. He has a full 110 more hits than even Lawson Crouse who generally leads the team in this category. He was 7th among Coyotes forwards in TOI and EV TOI and 2nd among Coyotes forwards in PK TOI. He was 3rd among Coyotes forwards in blocked shots. His FOs steadily improved and he ended up 44% on the season. As a team, AZ was 29th in the league with only 45% FO%. And he beat the wheels off of four dudes in fights this year. Just smoked guys.

He did this as a rookie out of college without blinker league seasoning. This is a unicorn player in the making.
He also has the absolute best name for that type of player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Little difference circumstance. Wedgewood is older and probably tired of being traded and has a good chance at the SC. I thought BA over paid on Veggie and I would bet that is what Ingram is using for a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad