Official 2023 Coyotes OFF Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Agree BA can't go scorched earth on the roster anymore ... need to try actually building success and confidence and team personality, especially if Cooley and Gunther are here.

100% keep Vejmelka. He's better than what you'd find for $2.7m on the UFA market and he's here, he's one of our guys. Identity and such. I like Ingram but if he's part of taking on a bad contract, getting extra picks, I'm down. Nobody super important needs a raise until Hayton NEXT summer, so keep using that cap space to buy 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Edit: easy for me to say when it's Meruelo's money I'm spending.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BA on PHNX seemed to be pretty clear that he’s not only done stripping it down but I get the sense that he’s done taking on bad players for assets. Bad contracts? Sure, he’ll take those. But I think he’s looking for better players. I also think he’s looking to sign a slightly higher caliber of UFA. That’s what it sounded like to me, anyway.

One name I thought of was Tyler Myers. Due only 1mil in cash after signing bonus. We need help badly on the right side. He can eat minutes, if nothing else. And is likely to generate an asset at the deadline.

Another name I thought of when he was talking about UFAs that can help the team take another step forward is Ivan Barbashev. We all know that BA loves this player. He’s gushed about him many times publicly. I think we are in a unique position to pay him enough over market value (given the stagnant cap) to entice him to come here. Thinking a 4yr deal that starts with a 5 on the aav.

We know we need a lot of help on the blueline and that BA values a physical presence. Clifton and Soucy are younger UFA D that are good for 150-200 hits per season.

Recently we’ve seen Max Pacioretty and Oliver Bjorkstrand traded for nothing or next to nothing due to being overpaid, despite still being very good players. I could see us pursuing other players of that nature in deals like those.

The first name that came to my mind is Conor Garland. He’s got 3yrs left and I’m sure Vancouver would be thrilled to move on from Benning players like Garland and Myers. I’m sure we could have both for free. Maybe even with an asset attached.

Of course, there’s maybe some minor baggage there, so Garland may not be the piece. But I’m sure we could identify a few more options that make sense in that same vein. Good player, aav too high by 25-50%.

Reactions: PuckLife

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
BA on PHNX seemed to be pretty clear that he’s not only done stripping it down but I get the sense that he’s done taking on bad players for assets. Bad contracts? Sure, he’ll take those. But I think he’s looking for better players. I also think he’s looking to sign a slightly higher caliber of UFA. That’s what it sounded like to me, anyway.

One name I thought of was Tyler Myers. Due only 1mil in cash after signing bonus. We need help badly on the right side. He can eat minutes, if nothing else. And is likely to generate an asset at the deadline.

Another name I thought of when he was talking about UFAs that can help the team take another step forward is Ivan Barbashev. We all know that BA loves this player. He’s gushed about him many times publicly. I think we are in a unique position to pay him enough over market value (given the stagnant cap) to entice him to come here. Thinking a 4yr deal that starts with a 5 on the aav.

We know we need a lot of help on the blueline and that BA values a physical presence. Clifton and Soucy are younger UFA D that are good for 150-200 hits per season.

Recently we’ve seen Max Pacioretty and Oliver Bjorkstrand traded for nothing or next to nothing due to being overpaid, despite still being very good players. I could see us pursuing other players of that nature in deals like those.

The first name that came to my mind is Conor Garland. He’s got 3yrs left and I’m sure Vancouver would be thrilled to move on from Benning players like Garland and Myers. I’m sure we could have both for free. Maybe even with an asset attached.

Of course, there’s maybe some minor baggage there, so Garland may not be the piece. But I’m sure we could identify a few more options that make sense in that same vein. Good player, aav too high by 25-50%.
I like most of what you say here - but let's keep our distance from Garland.

Reactions: Mosby

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Agree BA can't go scorched earth on the roster anymore ... need to try actually building success and confidence and team personality, especially if Cooley and Gunther are here.

100% keep Vejmelka. He's better than what you'd find for $2.7m on the UFA market and he's here, he's one of our guys. Identity and such. I like Ingram but if he's part of taking on a bad contract, getting extra picks, I'm down. Nobody super important needs a raise until Hayton NEXT summer, so keep using that cap space to buy 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Yeah no more tanking BS! We suck at it anyway. I want to start watching freaking games again. No more looking at the standings to see how many ping pong balls we will get.

rt

May 13, 2004
Treliving quit because he didn’t hire Sutter and can’t fire Sutter and he can’t live with Sutter. Clearly, ownership was given an ultimatum and chose Sutter. Don Maloney feels like a Sutter puppet, at this point. Similar to what happened, ironically enough, when Tippett got Maloney fired by aligning with a minority owner and oustering Maloney in what amounted to a coup. Tippett chose the wrong puppet in Chayka and the rest is history.

Anyway, I expect big changes in Calgary. If pig-headed, crusty old Sutter is directing Don Maloney in player personnel decisions, now would be a good time for BA to swoop in and rip them off.

The guy I’d be targeting is Oliver Kylington. Didn’t get the ice time he deserved last season under Sutter. And he sat out this season with a personal family emergency. Assuming he’s ready to come back, it seems like the right time for a fresh start. I’d definitely part with a pair of 2nds for him. Maybe Sutter wants Josh Brown, too.

Dillon Dube and Jakob Pelletier are a couple of other names that don’t necessarily fit with Sutter but could be undercover steals for us.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Tyler Myers signing bonus is due Sept 15th. Willing to take him for free afterwards. The Coyotes will be wanting to go with 8 Ds under contract.
That bridge has burned for Garland.

Reinhart may be available for under trade value. 3 more losses and Matthews may be available.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tyler Myers signing bonus is due Sept 15th. Willing to take him for free afterwards. The Coyotes will be wanting to go with 8 Ds under contract.
That bridge has burned for Garland.

Reinhart may be available for under trade value. 3 more losses and Matthews may be available.
Man. That seems awfully late for his SB. I guess if we work it out with a handshake before hand. But tough to plan an off-season around a Sept15 acquisition.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Man. That seems awfully late for his SB. I guess if we work it out with a handshake before hand. But tough to plan an off-season around a Sept15 acquisition.
Mouser reported it in another thread, it's @ the beginning of camp.

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Sorry I wasn’t doubting you. Just remarking that it’s late for an SB payment is all.
Sorry I made you think I was doubting you. I never double check Mouser and was clarifying the time line. Most likely a deal would be made beforehand. The tall Texan does have a 10 team NTC, but I doubt the Coyotes are on it. Because of the late signing bonus, I'm guessing it would just be a pure dump and not expanded.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Makes you think that the agent is brilliant, given that it's difficult to do a trade when a player bonus is paid so late...a little negative value preventing a trade. Not a bad lever if a "no trade" wasn't included in the contract.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
McBain is absolutely a proven lock. He was one of only two forwards in the entire NHL with over 300 hits. He has a full 110 more hits than even Lawson Crouse who generally leads the team in this category. He was 7th among Coyotes forwards in TOI…

He did this as a rookie out of college without minor league seasoning. This is a unicorn player in the making.
I Was happily surprised with what he’s turned out to be, but I’m wondering what his ceiling is now? The guy is a throwback player, reminds me a lot of Brian Boyle.

Edit: well maybe he just looks a little like him haha…

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

This all jives with what I heard, except rather than signing UFA's it sounded like he wanted to fill most open lineup spots with player's from Tucson. I'd be surprised if there are any UFA's signed with a Cap hit $2M or higher.

BA likes to talk about an organic rebuild.

It sounds like the Blueberry scout team will be wearing a different color this year.

:popcorn:

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Makes you think that the agent is brilliant, given that it's difficult to do a trade when a player bonus is paid so late...a little negative value preventing a trade. Not a bad lever if a "no trade" wasn't included in the contract.
I saw something that indicated it was Nucks owner Aquilini's year end that pushed the SB timeline back. :dunno:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
...only if his 10 team no trade clause list is also the same day.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
...only if his 10 team no trade clause list is also the same day.

Honestly we would be a team that can pump up his value, retain on his cap and trade him to a playoff team. We have great weather and life style down here in the desert. Have Bjudstadt and Ghost give him a call and see if he would waive us I'd we are on it

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Honestly we would be a team that can pump up his value, retain on his cap and trade him to a playoff team. We have great weather and life style down here in the desert. Have Bjudstadt and Ghost give him a call and see if he would waive us I'd we are on it
I would be surprised if the tall Texan had us on his m-NTC.

Reactions: Grimes

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This all jives with what I heard, except rather than signing UFA's it sounded like he wanted to fill most open lineup spots with player's from Tucson. I'd be surprised if there are any UFA's signed with a Cap hit $2M or higher.

BA likes to talk about an organic rebuild.

It sounds like the Blueberry scout team will be wearing a different color this year.

:popcorn:

Read somewhere that this years suits are Coyotes Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad