GDT: [Official] 2017 WJC Thread

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Keller right now for sure belongs with Strome & Kaprizov for best F.
If he was on Team Canada, it might not even be close. And he was injured for most of the year. I'd bet he's going to put on a performance Saturday.
Serg's a great prospect, but how can you call him a future Norris winner? There are so many great young Dmen in the league right now.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Keller right now for sure belongs with Strome & Kaprizov for best F.
If he was on Team Canada, it might not even be close. And he was injured for most of the year. I'd bet he's going to put on a performance Saturday.
Serg's a great prospect, but how can you call him a future Norris winner? There are so many great young Dmen in the league right now.

Yeah Serg hasn't had the best tourney. But I watched him a lot last year and early with the Habs. He's going to be special. He reminds me of a young Shea Weber... Although I don't think Shea has won the Norris yet :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I know a lot of Sweden fans hate his neutral zone turnovers, but Kylington's been very good IMO for the Swedes. He erases most of his turnovers with his skating anyways, but more importantly his defensive danger sense / polish is easily the best on team Sweden. There was a shift there in the third today where he made a sequence of spot-on reads to save a sure goal where his five man unit were all hemmed in, reminded me of Keith. He's also been boxing out exceptionally well and even throwing a cross check here and there for good measure. I don't think he will get much credit from Swedish fans; he's not OEL or Lidstrom where his game starts with making simple, perfect plays in the offensive zone to let his forwards control the cycle. It doesn't. But as someone who watched a 21 year old Brodie play an almost identical, albeit less skilled, game to what Kylington does now, I am happy with his performance at World Juniors.

As a fan of the sport it's actually kind of sad to me how a 19 year old kid who wants to be more than a cookie cutter defenseman, who's playing so well away from the puck, and creating way more offense than his raw point totals suggest. Am I biased? Sure. Do I understand that simple is probably better in this sort of single-elimination tourney? Yes. And maybe Kylington will make a cute play that will cost them Gold. But it's a fine line and 17/18/19 is far too young to be destroying creativity. Kylington once said Bobby Orr was his favorite player. Makes you wonder if the same criticisms would befall Orr in today's era.

I for one want to see Kylington to keep playing his own game, refining it until what doesn't work, works.

Same with Sam "Junior Move" Bennett up in Calgary by the way.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know a lot of Sweden fans hate his neutral zone turnovers, but Kylington's been very good IMO for the Swedes. He erases most of his turnovers with his skating anyways, but more importantly his defensive danger sense / polish is easily the best on team Sweden. There was a shift there in the third today where he made a sequence of spot-on reads to save a sure goal where his five man unit were all hemmed in, reminded me of Keith. He's also been boxing out exceptionally well and even throwing a cross check here and there for good measure. I don't think he will get much credit from Swedish fans; he's not OEL or Lidstrom where his game starts with making simple, perfect plays in the offensive zone to let his forwards control the cycle. It doesn't. But as someone who watched a 21 year old Brodie play an almost identical, albeit less skilled, game to what Kylington does now, I am happy with his performance at World Juniors.

As a fan of the sport it's actually kind of sad to me how a 19 year old kid who wants to be more than a cookie cutter defenseman, who's playing so well away from the puck, and creating way more offense than his raw point totals suggest. Am I biased? Sure. Do I understand that simple is probably better in this sort of single-elimination tourney? Yes. And maybe Kylington will make a bad play that will cost them Gold. But it's a fine line and 17/18/19 is far too young to be destroying creativity. Kylington once said Bobby Orr was his favorite player. Makes you wonder if the same criticisms would befall Orr in today's era.

I for one want to see Kylington to keep playing his own game.

I really liked what I saw in his first game, he looked really solid to me and stood out. His defensive game has come such a long way, it's exciting to see that. I think the Brodie comparable is good. I remember when Playfair said Brodie reminded him of a young Giordano at the same age. I think Kylington will be better than Brodie, well at least offensively, but this kid has top pairing written all over him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

As a fan of the sport it's actually kind of sad to me how a 19 year old kid who wants to be more than a cookie cutter defenseman, who's playing so well away from the puck, and creating way more offense than his raw point totals suggest. Am I biased? Sure. Do I understand that simple is probably better in this sort of single-elimination tourney? Yes. And maybe Kylington will make a cute play that will cost them Gold. But it's a fine line and 17/18/19 is far too young to be destroying creativity. Kylington once said Bobby Orr was his favorite player. Makes you wonder if the same criticisms would befall Orr in today's era.

I for one want to see Kylington to keep playing his own game, refining it until what doesn't work, works.

Same with Sam "Junior Move" Bennett up in Calgary by the way.

He is no Orr and he looks like a bad Brodie.
Brodie has looked pretty bad plenty of time this year.

He has talent so I agreed hopefully he can fix some of the problems.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

I actually liked Karnaukovs game when he was with the Hitmen, he's not too talented but he was near dominant in the cycle game. In the games I saw he rarely got the puck taken away from him.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Parsons came up big as the Swiss gave the Americans all they could handle at the end of ghe game. I was critical of the pick early in the year, but man the guy shows up for big games :handclap:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Parsons came up big as the Swiss gave the Americans all they could handle at the end of ghe game. I was critical of the pick early in the year, but man the guy shows up for big games :handclap:

I remember that's what Treliving was really adamant about, about this kid. Big time gamer.

Every team should pick a goalie; every year. The fact Calgary has taken two in round two in the past few years bodes well for one to find some success.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Dube is a real puck hound. Not showing a ton of finish at this point but was really noticeable in a good way.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
After 2 Championships in 3 years, Finland might again win their last game of the tournament. What an achievement!

I've only managed to watch the first relegation game against Latvia. Players looked disinterested, playing without a system and making easy mistakes. I don't know what the hell has happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad