Official 2016 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The first real riser of the season I would like to bring to your attention is Otto Somppi from the Halifax Mooseheads. Kid has been on a tear and scored 3 points in his QMJHL debut, including his 1st goal in the league. Is a 6'1"/180lbs centerman who knows how to clean up for sure!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196406

GOAT name. It's up there with Nino Niederreiter, Jyrki Jokkipakka, and Nail Yakupov.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This is interesting. It's like there's a thread where I talk to myself. :laugh: :laugh:

Let's get this conversation going, fellas/ladies.

It's mid October, there's got to be some speculation or interest, right?

Here's Draftbuzzes 1st round mock

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!2016-initial/crq0

IMO I like it a lot, but having Sam Girard in the first round and not Chad Krys is kind of dumb.

Max Jones and Julien Gauthier are too low, whereas Luke Kunin and JD Greenway are too high.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can definitely see them going after Vesey. Are there any other big potential college FAs this season?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
My mock will come out in late October based on the NHL standings, but I can tell you with certainty:

1) Laine is out with a bum shoulder.
2) Max Jones has struggled and is suspended for a slew foot
3) Tyler Benson has missed all of September and most of October after getting a cyst removed from his lower back.
4) Julien Gauthier has not been the same since taking a head shot two weeks ago -- no goals in 3 straight and flubbing shots
5) Samuel Girard was given a "C" rating by CSB but he will be a 1st rounder. Leads entire CHL in assists.
6) Jesse Puljujarvi is having a similar Liiga season like Rantanen -- up and down. He won't go top-5 but will be a top-10 pick.
7) Fabbro and Jost are in the BCHL because they have to go to college -- neither were hot stuff at the Hlinka and I think it hurts them.

My early-season top 10:

1) Auston Matthews
2) Jakob Chychrun
3) Matt Tkachuk
4) Patrik Laine
5) Logan Brown
6) Jesse Puljujarvi
7) Mike McLeod
8) P-L Dubois
9) Julien Gauthier
10) Olli Juolevi

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Also just to note, Jimmy Vesey IS NOT SIGNED by Nashville!! I think NYR should go hard after him, if he does become and NCAA Free Agent. Very very good scorer, with grit and speed. Reminds me of Brassard a bit.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=121865

Vesey should be priority #1 for the Rangers. Offer him an immediate NHL spot ala Haggerty to burn a year off his ELC. Show him all of the college players who have earned spots on this team. Hayes, Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh. Big time contributors.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Vesey should be priority #1 for the Rangers. Offer him an immediate NHL spot ala Haggerty to burn a year off his ELC. Show him all of the college players who have earned spots on this team. Hayes, Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh. Big time contributors.

You forgot Tanner Glass, he played college hockey too :sarcasm:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Agreed.

Rangers should definitely be involved, Vesey being a New Englander seems like a good fit. Knows JT Miller as well.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Here's an updated 6 round mock draft for the 2016 draft. This site has NYR taking the following...

2nd (53): RW: Joey Anderson- USNTDP/USHL
3rd (83) G: Evan Sarthou- Tri-City/WHL
4th (91) D: Ben Gleason- London/OHL (NOT MENTIONED ON SITE AS AN NYR PICK, BUT THEY HAVE THIS PICK)
5th (143) D: Ondrej Kachyna- Budjovice/Czech
6th (173) LW: Matthew Freytag- Tri-City/USHL
7th ???

To be honest, I wouldn't be upset with this crew.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Here's an updated 6 round mock draft for the 2016 draft. This site has NYR taking the following...

2nd (53): RW: Joey Anderson- USNTDP/USHL
3rd (83) G: Evan Sarthou- Tri-City/WHL
4th (91) D: Ben Gleason- London/OHL (NOT MENTIONED ON SITE AS AN NYR PICK, BUT THEY HAVE THIS PICK)
5th (143) D: Ondrej Kachyna- Budjovice/Czech
6th (173) LW: Matthew Freytag- Tri-City/USHL
7th ???

To be honest, I wouldn't be upset with this crew.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

Blech...

Based on those available from THAT mock:

Girard 53
Rasanen 83
Stadler 91
Aho 143
Corriveau 173
Yudin 210

Go all skill defensemen even if they're overage. Need puck movers and PP QB's. Rasanen is the Finnish Stepan. Corriveau is a big kid with hands.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Blech...

Based on those available from THAT mock:

Girard 53
Rasanen 83
Stadler 91
Aho 143
Corriveau 173
Yudin 210

Go all skill defensemen even if they're overage. Need puck movers and PP QB's. Rasanen is the Finnish Stepan. Corriveau is a big kid with hands.

Agreed, didn't really evaluate it thoroughly enough, but with those that you listed I completely agree.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Agreed, didn't really evaluate it thoroughly enough, but with those that you listed I completely agree.

The early season mocks generally throw names up against a wall. I trust your input more than theirs.

The issue this year will be if teams keep drafting overagers. Quite frankly, the only overagers I would draft are Europeans like in Russia.
There are some good overage College types but I'd go after them only if I had multiple late round picks.

I was at the Clarkson-WMU game on Saturday. Don't know what the Pens saw in Tiffels. That kid is almost 21 and he was invisible on their 4th line. You'd think with only 4 picks they would have gone for someone younger and with way more skill.

If I'm Gorton, I try to acquire late-round picks and go the old Neil Smith/Jimmy Devellano route; grab as many Russians as you can. Some overage kids in the KHL are far superior to most of the overagers in the USHL and CHL.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The early season mocks generally throw names up against a wall. I trust your input more than theirs.

The issue this year will be if teams keep drafting overagers. Quite frankly, the only overagers I would draft are Europeans like in Russia.
There are some good overage College types but I'd go after them only if I had multiple late round picks.

I was at the Clarkson-WMU game on Saturday. Don't know what the Pens saw in Tiffels. That kid is almost 21 and he was invisible on their 4th line. You'd think with only 4 picks they would have gone for someone younger and with way more skill.

If I'm Gorton, I try to acquire late-round picks and go the old Neil Smith/Jimmy Devellano route; grab as many Russians as you can. Some overage kids in the KHL are far superior to most of the overagers in the USHL and CHL.

Feel this would be the type of draft where a lot of overagers will be selected, regardless if they are Russian. Some of the prospects seem to be having a lot of underwhelming seasons.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Anson Carter on the Minn ND game live right now on NBCSN saying GG Justin Kloos attracting attention from NHL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad