Official 2016 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's a slow summer, but thought I'd start getting some discussion going on the 2016 draft class and Free Agents that are worthy of early notice.

Here are a few links to get this going....

- This link basically narrows down the consensus top of the pack players with Matthews as potential No. 1.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=772709

- Here's a link to NHL.com's future list....
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=774278

- Another article on the 2016 draft depth....
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=774344

- Early 2016 mock draft....
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

Early Thoughts?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
My early top 10 list....

1. Auston Matthews, RW
2. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW
3. Jacob Chychrun, D
4. Tyler Benson, LW
5. Matthew Tkachuk, LW
6. Max Jones, LW
7. Dmitri Sokolov, C
8. Sam Steel, C
9. Luke Kirwan, LW
10. Kale Clague, D

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
There's another Nylander kid draft eligible in 2016? Cripes, how many more are there?

I didn't realize how many points Matthews had as a 16 year old in the USNTP. Now I see why he wants to go to Europe. The USHL won't be a challenge for him.

It's too hard to tell how deep this draft is going to be. I'm more impressed with 2015's top end, but the depth of the early rounds can be similar.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My early top 10 list....

1. Auston Matthews, RW
2. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW
3. Jacob Chychrun, D
4. Tyler Benson, LW
5. Matthew Tkachuk, LW
6. Max Jones, LW
7. Dmitri Sokolov, C
8. Sam Steel, C
9. Luke Kirwan, LW
10. Kale Clague, D

Nicely done!

Going to need a top 60 to find a realistic Rangers pick though :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this draft could be just as good as the 2015 one.

Matthews is Eichel/McDavid level good. Puljujarvi should be the best player produced by Finland in many many years. Chycrun should rival top defenseman in recent drafts like Jones, Ekblad, Hanifin. The Russian kid Sokolov might be the highest picked Russian since Yakupov, and there was talk within the last year that he was the best 2016 draft eligible. There are also some other really good American forwards like Tkachuk, Jones and Keller.

TurgePurge*

Sather and Gorton get an F this offseason simply for not utilizing our biggest competitive advantage...Attracting grown ass men from Europe to come play in the big apple.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There's another Nylander kid draft eligible in 2016? Cripes, how many more are there?

I didn't realize how many points Matthews had as a 16 year old in the USNTP. Now I see why he wants to go to Europe. The USHL won't be a challenge for him.

It's too hard to tell how deep this draft is going to be. I'm more impressed with 2015's top end, but the depth of the early rounds can be similar.

3 more, not sure if they play hockey though...

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Sather and Gorton get an F this offseason simply for not utilizing our biggest competitive advantage...Attracting grown ass men from Europe to come play in the big apple.

Chicago has done very well in the "getting grown ass European men to come play with your apples" dept. with Tikhonov and Panarin.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Usually you need cap room to do that.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
My early top 10 list....

1. Auston Matthews, RW
2. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW
3. Jacob Chychrun, D
4. Tyler Benson, LW
5. Matthew Tkachuk, LW
6. Max Jones, LW
7. Dmitri Sokolov, C
8. Sam Steel, C
9. Luke Kirwan, LW
10. Kale Clague, D

Clague was a beast for the Rangers in EHM. Drafted him 5th overall and he turned into a HOF'er with over 1300pts and 4 Norris trophies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Yeah Alexander Nylander will go 1st round. Where, though?

Matthews is clear cut No. 1 and he really can't challenge anywhere, but Europe or CHL.

I feel that this class is just like the 2015 class, but will lower scale of "Super Stars" and a little further depth through the rounds.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think this draft could be just as good as the 2015 one.

Matthews is Eichel/McDavid level good. Puljujarvi should be the best player produced by Finland in many many years. Chycrun should rival top defenseman in recent drafts like Jones, Ekblad, Hanifin. The Russian kid Sokolov might be the highest picked Russian since Yakupov, and there was talk within the last year that he was the best 2016 draft eligible. There are also some other really good American forwards like Tkachuk, Jones and Keller.

Like I said above, I feel this draft is more of a lower scale of "Super Star" and more depth throughout the rounds. I agree that Matthews is up there with Eichel and McDavid, but Puljujarvi reminds me a lot of an early Jaromir Jagr. If he can put that all together, HOLY **** BALLS!!!!! Chychrun will be a beast like you said and Sokolov will be like a Zacha/Ovechkin-lit player.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
tumblr_n86zsu7ux71qzpn6vo1_500.gif

The Americans look great in this draft!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Should also mention that Dmitri Sokolov will be playing with the Sudbury Wolves this coming season and that both Matthew Tkachuk and Max Jones will be in London Knights sweaters.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
2016 won't be as deep as 2015 but it should be another repeat of USHL/USHS/Europe heavy picks.

Smaller guys like DeBrincat will be under the microscope. But I'm more of a Luke Kunin guy. Love the US prospects.

Alson lots of 2015 eligibles will get looked at closely. Several double-overagers were drafted this year, which means teams don't want to dick around with UFA wars. Draft them now and sign them.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I cannot possibly express in written form how happy I would be if the Rangers took Sam Duggan (Brit playing in Sweden) in the 6th/7th round

Don't know if he's on anyone's radar. Elite Prospects lists him as a 2016 draft prospect, but obviously it depends if he can build on last season's performance (2nd top points scorer on Orebro j18) and play well in the j20. I'm optimistic that a team who like to draft from Sweden might be watching him.

A good all-around player who is really good at face offs. Played on the u20 national team when he was 15.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I cannot possibly express in written form how happy I would be if the Rangers took Sam Duggan (Brit playing in Sweden) in the 6th/7th round

Don't know if he's on anyone's radar. Elite Prospects lists him as a 2016 draft prospect, but obviously it depends if he can build on last season's performance (2nd top points scorer on Orebro j18) and play well in the j20. I'm optimistic that a team who like to draft from Sweden might be watching him.

A good all-around player who is really good at face offs. Played on the u20 national team when he was 15.

Isn't he Brittish? If so then there should be some interest, but the 6th/7th round is a good spot for him for now. Think he'll move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino