Official 2015 tank thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I admire your tenacity sticking with the scoreboard watching.

I don't go out of my way during the week. But it's Sunday night, kids are asleep, wife passed out on the couch (from watching her Eagles, not the Oilers) so I flipped it over for a few. NYR woke up with about 7 minutes left in the period.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Maybe I have too much confidence in our pool of players but yes I see quite a few studs on our team.

I think Reinhart can be a top 10 center in the NHL.
I think Ristolainen can be a top 12 D-man, a legitimate #1.
I'm not going to comment on goalies because that's the best way to look like a complete idiot.
I think Girgensons can be prime Mike Richards. 60 point selke captain type.
I think Zadorov can be what Myers is now.
Armia and Grigo are the wild cards. You could have Williams and Spezza or you could have nothing.

And then there's the secondary players. We have the back bone of a cup contending team IMO. And we'll still be in position to add to that with a very high pick.
I read what you've written as our ceilings and think that still puts us in the weak range in terms of champs. A st Louis blues type team. Somebody's gotta stir the drink, be the best in the world in their niche.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
And let's not forget those two other first round picks. Hopefully we get McEichel, but whatever happens, we will have a very deep and talented group of young players. That's why it's good to see some of them making huge strides this year, even if it costs us McEichel. The worst thing that could happen is to develop a losing culture. Think about it, if Edmonton gets one of those two, do you really think that's what will turn it around for them? I don't.

ZeroPT*

I read what you've written as our ceilings and think that still puts us in the weak range in terms of champs. A st Louis blues type team. Somebody's gotta stir the drink, be the best in the world in their niche.

Okay now you're being a bit ridiculous.

The Kings have:

Two legitimate 1C's.
A legit 1D.
and a world class goalie.

Girgensons-Reinhart? (or Strome/Marner)
Risto
already mentioned

Then you have to have a good complimentary cast. That team is comparable to the Kings. I've made the post before and I'll just copy past it. We're basically following LA perfectly.

I'm going to do it again. The Sabres have almost perfectly followed the Kings rebuilding model. It's scary how similar they are. Let's just start with the timeline. The Kings hired Lombardi and truly began their rebuild at the 07 draft.

2007-Hickey (4th overall)
2008-Doughty (2nd overall
2009-BSchenn (5th overall)

Now let's compare to Buffalo..

2013-Ristolainen (8th overall)
2014-Reinhart (2nd overall)
2015-?????

In 2009 the Kings on the back of a young Kopitar,Brown,Quick,Simmonds,Doughty,etc.. played their way to the #5 pick in the Tavares/Hedman draft. Two elite players. Sound familiar?

If you dig deeper it gets even scarier how similar they are. The Kings focused on the back end. They developed their D-men. To start the rebuild they had drafted 4 D-men in the top 60 of the 07-08 drafts.

Hickey
Doughty
Teubert
Voynov
In addition to those 4 D-men, they had Jack Johnson. A young veteran D-man. Let's look at Buffalo.

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe
And our Jack Johnson, is Myers.

Finally, let's look at the players we had BEFORE we announced the rebuild:
Girgensons,Ennis,Myers,Grigorenko,Pysyk,McCabe and Armia.

The kings..
Kopitar,Brown,Bernier,Lewis,Johnson,Quick,Purcell,etc..

Maybe this last one is just me being a complete homer and a child. But the best part of this? The Kings best center is a young man drafted in the early teens from an obscure nation. Kopitar--->Girgensons :naughty:
The only true difference is the goaltending. We don't have the stable of young goalies that the Kings had.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Here's how I look at it. The Sabres can only control what they do. If Edmonton is going to go out there and lose the rest of their games this season, then fine. I don't want our guys doing that, because it creates an atmosphere where it's okay to lose. Would I like those other teams to start winning and us to lose a few more of those games in which we battle hard but get badly outplayed? Sure. It would be really nice to get one of those top two picks. But I'm not going to jump off a cliff because our new young core is exceeding expectations and pulling us out of 30th place. Especially considering what we've already got in the pipeline, and the fact that we'll certainly be adding more high-end talent this draft as well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Empty-netter for the Rags makes it 2-0 (or so my updating stat sheet tells me). Even when the Oilers have a good defensive game, they lose.

Ready to fire Eakins yet, MacT?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Empty-netter for the Rags makes it 2-0 (or so my updating stat sheet tells me). Even when the Oilers have a good defensive game, they lose.

Ready to fire Eakins yet, MacT?

Why would he fire Eakins? The season is lost and a franchise player is at the end of the tunnel. Eakins will be the scape Goat but not now. That team has fired way to many coaches already.

Also, it's now looks like McDavid or bust, I don't see Eichel happening.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
There is no way we are ever going to be as bad as the Oilers are. Let them draft McEichel and fail to fix there defense again. They will break the record for longest streak without playoffs next year.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
You know what else is remarkable? For a team who has been RAVAGED by injuries in the past, we've yet to have a single detrimental injury. I suppose you could say that Neuvirth or Enroth being injured at different times could be bad, but the other has picked it up, Gorges is probably the other big injury but that's really it.

Hockey gods... Why

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Edmonton has now lost 15 of their last 16, the true tank master's. I kind of wish Eichel or McDavid would say how they wouldn't want to play for that organization right now.
For us, it seems like it's lottery win or bust for this team now. I have a very hard time seeing us catching Edmonton's tank. :shakehead

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Edmonton has now lost 15 of their last 16, the true tank master's. I kind of wish Eichel or McDavid would say how they wouldn't want to play for that organization right now.
For us, it seems like it's lottery win or bust for this team now. I have a very hard time seeing us catching Edmonton's tank. :shakehead

As a poster said on our board....We are the Michael Jordan of tanking lol...

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
We couldn't have even dreamed of a season this bad. It's pathetic, but there is no point in us trying to move up this year. Pick top two and rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild.

Rebuild 3.0

It's been a HORRIBLE 5+ years. I wouldn't want this patheticness felt by any fans.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
We couldn't have even dreamed of a season this bad. It's pathetic, but there is no point in us trying to move up this year. Pick top two and rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild.

Rebuild 3.0

It's been a HORRIBLE 5+ years. I wouldn't want this patheticness felt by any fans.

Oilers management had/has no concept of team building, they always just picked the flashy-est player and thought an all-star team would get the job done. Hopefully new people get brought in to run the team, otherwise I fear for that club's future.

At least we have the Otters owner rooting for us and not the Oilers haha. He'll want McDavid to go anywhere but Edmonton.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Oilers management had/has no concept of team building, they always just picked the flashy-est player and thought an all-star team would get the job done. Hopefully new people get brought in to run the team, otherwise I fear for that club's future.

At least we have the Otters owner rooting for us and not the Oilers haha. He'll want McDavid to go anywhere but Edmonton.

They'll still be terrible with McDavid. How are they going to fix their Defense, goltending, depth, coaching, management issues all this off season? :laugh:

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Okay now you're being a bit ridiculous.
Then you have to have a good complimentary cast. That team is comparable to the Kings. I've made the post before and I'll just copy past it. We're basically following LA perfectly.

I'm going to do it again. The Sabres have almost perfectly followed the Kings rebuilding model. It's scary how similar they are. Let's just start with the timeline. The Kings hired Lombardi and truly began their rebuild at the 07 draft.

2007-Hickey (4th overall)
2008-Doughty (2nd overall
2009-BSchenn (5th overall)

Now let's compare to Buffalo..

2013-Ristolainen (8th overall)
2014-Reinhart (2nd overall)
2015-?????

In 2009 the Kings on the back of a young Kopitar,Brown,Quick 44 games ,Simmonds 23 points,Doughty,etc.. played their way to the #5 pick in the Tavares/Hedman draft. Two elite players. Sound familiar?

If you dig deeper it gets even scarier how similar they are. The Kings focused on the back end. They developed their D-men. To start the rebuild they had drafted 4 D-men in the top 60 of the 07-08 drafts.

Hickey never played for Kings, gets waived
Doughty
Teubert never played for Kings, throw in for Penner
Voynov
In addition to those 4 D-men, they had Jack Johnson. A young veteran D-man.JJ played one season before Doughty joined the team Let's look at Buffalo.

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe
And our Jack Johnson, is Myers.

Finally, let's look at the players we had BEFORE we announced the rebuild:
Girgensons,Ennis,Myers,Grigorenko,Pysyk,McCabe and Armia.

The kings..
Kopitar,Brown,Bernier,Lewis,Johnson,Quick,Purcell, etc..

Maybe this last one is just me being a complete homer and a child. But the best part of this? The Kings best center is a young man drafted in the early teens from an obscure nation. Kopitar--->Girgensons
The only true difference is the goaltending. We don't have the stable of young goalies that the Kings had.

I like the Kings comparison as well but you are a bit off in your summary of the Kings and Buffalo is not following the Kings perfectly.
Lombardi churned that roster (24 trades involving players up to the start of the 2009 season) whereas Buffalo has only moved 2 guys who were not UFAs. Now if Hodgson (~O'Sullivan) gets dealt this summer and the Sabres add their version of 2008 Stoll then it gets closer.

Hickey and Teubert (remember Lombardi swapped picks with Buffalo and could have had Myers or Karlsson instead of him) are better examples of overcoming poor draft picks than anything else. Also, in Lombardi's first draft he used the 11th pick in 2006 on Bernier as he wanted his guy and had no idea how good Quick would become.

FYI: This is Dean Lombardi's 'what will the team look like in a few years' from May 2007. Compare it to the Kings' playoff rosters in 2010 and 2012 and keep it in mind when attempting to project Buffalo's 2016-17 playoff roster.

Frolov-Kopitar-Purcell
Brown-?-Cammalleri
Lewis-Cliche-Brady Murray/Tukonen
Westgarth-Boyle-Zeiler

Johnson-?
?-Visnovsky
Harrold-?

LaBarbera
?
Ersberg

More LA/Buffalo coincidences
If you move the rebuild back to 2012, then you can say both Buffalo and Los Angeles stripped down 89 point teams.
LA played 7 goalies during the 2007 season and Buffalo dressed 7 last year.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
We don't have the Blues issues with scoring center depth and will probably hit the playoffs with a better goaltender than Brian Elliott. And I hope Risto, then Girgensons don't get concussed in their first and third series together either.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Oilers fan coming in peace again. Jealous of Buffalo Sabres and am conflicted about McEichel coming here. We suck so bad, dawgs. It's not cool being elite at tanking, really, you guys don't want to end up like us. It's the ********* feeling ever. Who gives 2 ****s about another elite pick. It's ridiculous and I absolutely hate my organization for what they've done to the team and the fans. Bs. **** tanking. Gotten us nowhere.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You know what else is remarkable? For a team who has been RAVAGED by injuries in the past, we've yet to have a single detrimental injury.

Very surprising indeed. I think it is a result of Nolan preaching better fitness in the off season.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Very surprising indeed. I think it is a result of Nolan preaching better fitness in the off season.

:laugh: :laugh:

C'mon now. These are professional athletes with millions of dollars on the line. Most of them have professional trainers or see professional trainers all off season.

It's blind luck.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:laugh: :laugh:

C'mon now. These are professional athletes with millions of dollars on the line. Most of them have professional trainers or see professional trainers all off season.

It's blind luck.

Most of them have also come into camp in underwhelming shape in the past

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Most of them have also come into camp in underwhelming shape in the past

Sure. But to say that the lack of major injuries this year was because Ted Nolan said "Guys, I have an idea. Let's come into camp in shape next year!" is like saying a lack of car accidents is because of a bill board down the road says "don't text and drive"

Sure, it's reinforcing a point and doesn't hurt anything, but, accidents are going to happen, just like injuries. Being in shape doesn't prevent broke bones, blown out knees, and hell, even the ****ing mumps.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

It's amazing to me how Ted Nolan gets credit for anything good that happens in Buffalo.

From Enroth's hot streak to the simple good luck of players not getting injured.

Ever since he rode the best goaltender of all time, in the prime of his career, to a division title in a year when the rest of the division was really bad - and somehow won the undying adulation of the city.

I swear if some people around here found a $20 on the street, they'd probably credit Nolan.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Oilers fan coming in peace again. Jealous of Buffalo Sabres and am conflicted about McEichel coming here. We suck so bad, dawgs. It's not cool being elite at tanking, really, you guys don't want to end up like us. It's the ********* feeling ever. Who gives 2 ****s about another elite pick. It's ridiculous and I absolutely hate my organization for what they've done to the team and the fans. Bs. **** tanking. Gotten us nowhere.

We just wanted one more top pick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad