Official 2015 tank thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
More is better, but Reinhart is only irrelevant if all you care about is getting McEichel in a vacuum and not about how good the team could be. Reinhart likely mitigates not getting one of those of two unless he's a bust.

I said at beginning of year that if we failed at securing one of McDavid or Eichel this season was a failure. I still believe that. When you're this far down at the bottom you better stay at the bottom and get one of those franchise defining players. Missing out on one of them because your mediocre UFA goalie is on fire and you're scoring goals off the zamboni doors and winning while being dominated is so disheartening. It's criminal really.

Zads, Girgs , Risto, Myers could all be playing the same way and we should still be losing...that is how bad this team is.

Reinhart is irrelevant when it comes to getting McDavid or Eichel has nothing to do with Reinhart himself.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Reinhart could very well be "one of those franchise defining players".

Didn't say he couldn't.

Edit:

But would you want one crack at that or two? ...

And would you want the one with better odds or not?

I know my answer.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Didn't say he couldn't.

Edit:

But would you want one crack at that or two? ...

And would you want the one with better odds or not?

I know my answer.

Of course I'd want two. Two > one.

But, IMO (and note this is my opinion)......Reinhart is the major reason why I won't be crying in my beer and going off the deep end if we don't end up with McEichel. It also won't be the reason I consider the season a failure.

Reinhart could be that #1 C a la Toews, Girgensons could be our Bergeron (and #2 center...drool) and our high 2015 pick could then be the offensive force like Kane.

Would it be better if McEichel was our 2015 pick? Of course. Ideally, I'd still LOVE one of them. But it's not the end of things if we don't.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

But, IMO (and note this is my opinion)......Reinhart is the major reason why I won't be crying in my beer and going off the deep end if we don't end up with McEichel. It also won't be the reason I consider the season a failure.

Reinhart could be that #1 C a la Toews, Girgensons could be our Bergeron (and #2 center...drool) and our high 2015 pick could then be the offensive force like Kane.

Would it be better if McEichel was our 2015 pick? Of course. Ideally, I'd still LOVE one of them. But it's not the end of things if we don't.

I share all the hopes and dreams as you with our current prospects.

My frustration comes with not what we have... but being in a once in a lifetime position to add another AMAZING piece and having it pissed away by meaningless feel good now wins. That is the milk that is spilled in my world.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I think we know what we have in Girgensons, Grigorenko's progression will be what keeps me from crying in my beer...if he becomes a competent 60+ point center then McEichel doesnt matter as much...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

My frustration comes with not what we have... but being in a once in a lifetime position to add another AMAZING piece and having it pissed away by meaningless feel good now wins. That is the milk that is spilled in my world.

I think I'd be in exactly your shoes if the young kids weren't the catalysts for this spurt. That's what gives me hope for the future.......I'm with Jame in that I think that we might really be seeing the foundation for a mentally tough team being seeded here in these wins.

I'd LOVE it if the kids could be doing exactly what they're doing.....and we still lose. But I also recognize that both things likely can't happen together.

I do think that this team will spiral back into a losing streak.....we don't have the talent.

We're going to be picking top 5 and getting a prospect who's likely to be the #2 prospect in the organization immediately.

I guess I don't see it as spilled milk.....yet. For me, that'd be a hindsight deal. If the rebuild goes the way of the Oilers.

ZeroPT*

Reinhart - Girgensons - Grigorenko is still an exceptional group of young centermen. Perhaps 2nd best in the league behind Colorado.

And if we assume that we pick 4th we can add Strome.
Strome
Reinhart
Girgs
Grigorenko
That's ****ing amazing. Sure McEichel would be even more ****ing amazing but we have the pieces in place already. That'd be like complaining about having 1 billion dollars and not 3 billion dollars. Sure 3>1 but you're still stinking rich.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think we know what we have in Girgensons, Grigorenko's progression will be what keeps me from crying in my beer...if he becomes a competent 60+ point center then McEichel doesnt matter as much...

Right now, my hope for Grigo is that he becomes a guy like Kovalev. The longer we go and the better Zemgod is playing.....I'm starting to doubt that Grigo's future on this team is center....

I mean, if our top 6 in a few years is this:

Grigorenko-Reinart-Marner
Armia-Girgensons-Baptiste/Ennis

That could very well be a SOLID top 6 that's a pain to play against.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Exactly. I'm totally jazzed about the talent we've collected so far.

That's why I'm so excited about McEichel. McEichel added to the pool of talent we have already accumulated would really put this organization on a path to long-term contention.

I'm not dissatisfied in the least with what we've gotten so far. But we came into this season projected to be the worst team in the league, in a year with the deepest draft in a decade with two likely future superstars at the top. We seemed to be ideally positioned to get one of them, and moreover, that seemed to be part of the organization's plans.

It will be a painfully disappointing missed opportunity if we don't get one of those players given how bad the Sabres have been the past two seasons, and still are. But that is not a statement of dissatisfaction with either our current prospect pool or with whoever we do end up drafting this year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think I'd be in exactly your shoes if the young kids weren't the catalysts for this spurt. That's what gives me hope for the future.......I'm with Jame in that I think that we might really be seeing the foundation for a mentally tough team being seeded here in these wins.

I'd LOVE it if the kids could be doing exactly what they're doing.....and we still lose. But I also recognize that both things likely can't happen together.

I do think that this team will spiral back into a losing streak.....we don't have the talent.

We're going to be picking top 5 and getting a prospect who's likely to be the #2 prospect in the organization immediately.

I guess I don't see it as spilled milk.....yet. For me, that'd be a hindsight deal. If the rebuild goes the way of the Oilers.

Beginning of the year the kids were playing great (for kids) and we were still losing. I think it can be done because it has.

Gionta has woke up. Moulson has woke up. Stafford has woke up. Ennis has woke up. Enroth has overdosed on No-doze.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The thing that bothers me the most is the pure ignoring of the amazing progress our kids are making. This really isn't normal. 19 and 20 year old D-men shouldn't be this good. Girgensons shouldn't be doing this well. It's crazy.

But the single thing that pisses me off the most about this is the ignoring of Reinhart. It's borderline insulting. He's just "good but not a 1C" or "not someone you build around"
A player doesn't have to be a generational talent to be a player you build around. You can build a pretty ****ing good team with Bergeron. Same with Toews, Zetterberg and Kopitar. These guys aren't "generational talents" yet they all have rings.

The sum of all weaknesses argument: if I can name a cup winner that won without player x, then I don't need player x. But bergeron won a cup because Tim Thomas was the conn Smythe winner and chara was the best defenseman in the world for several years. Zetterberg played in front of the perfect human. Kopitar had doughty and quick behind him. So anyone can win without an MVP quality center specifically, but do we have a chara or lidstrom to be the conn Smythe winner?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Oilers badly outplay Rangers in first 15 minutes. Naturally, a centering pass hits an Oiler skate and goes into their net. 1-0, Rags.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Oilers badly outplay Rangers in first 15 minutes. Naturally, a centering pass hits an Oiler skate and goes into their net. 1-0, Rags.

Strikes me as exactly the opposite as some Sabres games lately.

IE:

"Sabres are badly outplayed in the first 20 minutes, registering a Net Corsi of -30......but the Sabres caught the goalie quite literally napping and are up 1-0" :laugh:

Clock

May 13, 2006
Reinhart is irrelevant when it comes to getting McDavid or Eichel has nothing to do with Reinhart himself.

Alright, so you're only concerned about landing one of the big two in a vacuum.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I admire your tenacity sticking with the scoreboard watching.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Alright, so you're only concerned about landing one of the big two in a vacuum.

I suppose I could have just said yes, yes.:laugh:

It may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

And it's not about artifically stunting the kids growth...or sabotaging the team (tho moves can be made that would be smart hockey moves given the situation) but more to the fact that ... I am not happy one bit we are winning games we have no right to be winning.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Right now, that's 50% of the tank being successful. We need the Oilers and Hurricanes and Coyotes to catch some fire.......we can't control our own tank destiny by ourselves right now.

I think the odds are long enough now that I'm not going to torture myself. Were moving forward with what we have.

ZeroPT*

The sum of all weaknesses argument: if I can name a cup winner that won without player x, then I don't need player x. But bergeron won a cup because Tim Thomas was the conn Smythe winner and chara was the best defenseman in the world for several years. Zetterberg played in front of the perfect human. Kopitar had doughty and quick behind him. So anyone can win without an MVP quality center specifically, but do we have a chara or lidstrom to be the conn Smythe winner?

Maybe I have too much confidence in our pool of players but yes I see quite a few studs on our team.

I think Reinhart can be a top 10 center in the NHL.
I think Ristolainen can be a top 12 D-man, a legitimate #1.
I'm not going to comment on goalies because that's the best way to look like a complete idiot.
I think Girgensons can be prime Mike Richards. 60 point selke captain type.
I think Zadorov can be what Myers is now.
Armia and Grigo are the wild cards. You could have Williams and Spezza or you could have nothing.

And then there's the secondary players. We have the back bone of a cup contending team IMO. And we'll still be in position to add to that with a very high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany