Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
They also gave up 40+ shots a lot of games. It's pretty hard to put that kind of action at a goaltender and expect him to be solid all year. After awhile it will wear them down. It also wore the team down being outshot as much as they did, they end up running around their own end.
My take on it anyway.
That is true. If they keep that up they won't get anywhere near the playoffs anytime soon.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What if we do pick 1st/2nd in 2015?

If we do end up getting one of McDavid/Eichel and someone offered up the Hanifin pick, for one of Bennett or even Monahan, would you do it? I don't think I could until we have a top line centre, producing top line numbers but it's not an easy answer. Just thought since we've got the top 2015 centre/defenseman threads going it might be interesting.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Oh my god another one of these threads

Yep, your favorites but it could be a good debate. I mean, would you give up one of the two young star centre prospects for the chance to draft a potential franchise centre and defenseman in the same draft! It's a really tough call.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No, Bennett can easily be converted to the wing. No point in trade potential top end talent, and having a lot of centers isn't a bad thing.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No, Bennett can easily be converted to the wing. No point in trade potential top end talent, and having a lot of centers isn't a bad thing.

That's more or less where I'm at right now too but come draft day, I'm not a 100% sure it'd be the same answer!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That's more or less where I'm at right now too but come draft day, I'm not a 100% sure it'd be the same answer!

Well I would just like to say that I don't think we'll be bad enough to take the top 2 spots. At the worst, I see us in 3-5. This will have us picking a possible top notch defenseman. But, if our management is so inclined to pick a center, then so be it. It still doesn't change the fact that we need to keep our prospects to develop and taking the BPA.

You don't address the positional needs until your team is contending. In Calgary's case, it's RW and defenseman that we need. I'd probably barely start worrying about our positional needs after the 2015 draft.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I may be in the minority, but I like Eichel a lot, and I think I'd take him over McDavid. Can't go wrong with either though.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Well I would just like to say that I don't think we'll be bad enough to take the top 2 spots. At the worst, I see us in 3-5. This will have us picking a possible top notch defenseman. But, if our management is so inclined to pick a center, then so be it. It still doesn't change the fact that we need to keep our prospects to develop and taking the BPA.

You don't address the positional needs until your team is contending. In Calgary's case, it's RW and defenseman that we need. I'd probably barely start worrying about our positional needs after the 2015 draft.

It's not that cut and dry, there's some speculation that Hanifin could be better than Ekblad. Not too many people would have taken Bennett over Ekblad. Say for example we pick 2nd(Eichel) and Hanifin falls to a team stocked on defensemen, looking for a top centre.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Way too many hypotheticals going on here. Let the season play out before we start these type of threads.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm in the let's wait camp and see camp. If you need one of these threads to speculate cool, but we don't need one every few days. Why not just have 1 thread for the 2015 draft and those who want to talk about it to death can and those of us who don't want to talk about it to death only have 1 thread to ignore.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm in the let's wait camp and see camp. If you need one of these threads to speculate cool, but we don't need one every few days. Why not just have 1 thread for the 2015 draft and those who want to talk about it to death can and those of us who don't want to talk about it to death only have 1 thread to ignore.

I was actually going to merge these all into one draft thread like you said and sticky it, but the other 2 threads have polls. Once the other ones fade, I'll likely do that. It is a little much though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was actually going to merge these all into one draft thread like you said and sticky it, but the other 2 threads have polls. Once the other ones fade, I'll likely do that. It is a little much though.
like the saying goes, great minds.......

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I hope we draft McDavid if we are #1.. While I would LOVE Eichel, I feel I would really regret/dislike him come International play :laugh:

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
While I don't envision us realistically threatening to make the playoffs (though we'll likely give other teams fits, much like last year or better), I do see us finishing a little higher in the standings (barring any significant amount of time missed again due to key injuries) and thus, perhaps even picking outside the top-5.. I have my heart now set on either Kylington or Hanifin, but no joke - McNugget or Eichel would be one hell of a consolation prize if we poop the bed next year. /rebuild

May 27, 2012
Earth
While I don't envision us realistically threatening to make the playoffs (though we'll likely give other teams fits, much like last year or better), I do see us finishing a little higher in the standings (barring any significant amount of time missed again due to key injuries) and thus, perhaps even picking outside the top-5.. I have my heart now set on either Kylington or Hanifin, but no joke - McNugget or Eichel would be one hell of a consolation prize if we poop the bed next year. /rebuild

Meh. I think we got worse. The only real addition for us was Hiller. Raymond may or may not replicate Cammy production, Butler is way better than Engelland. All the other teams who were bottom 5 got better in some way.

Don't want to admit it, but the Oilers got Dmen they need. One overpaid but it was necessary, got some secondary scoring in Purcell and Pouliot. This may finally be the year for them. The Isles got help at forward and greatly bettered their goaltending. Florida is up in the air right now. They should do better, now Luongo should have a full season with them, some decent FA signings and a mix of youth, Buffalo improved somewhat. Not sure how they will do, but it won't be great. I think Buffalo is in the same boat as Florida. I still see us as a bottom 5 team next season. A couple of teams got worse but I think right now are in slightly better positions than us still.

Everyone on Calgary got better, don't get me wrong. But every other team in the leagued in improved in some way. It will be an interesting upcoming season.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Meh. I think we got worse. The only real addition for us was Hiller. Raymond may or may not replicate Cammy production, Butler is way better than Engelland. All the other teams who were bottom 5 got better in some way.

Don't want to admit it, but the Oilers got Dmen they need. One overpaid but it was necessary, got some secondary scoring in Purcell and Pouliot. This may finally be the year for them. The Isles got help at forward and greatly bettered their goaltending. Florida is up in the air right now. They should do better, now Luongo should have a full season with them, some decent FA signings and a mix of youth, Buffalo improved somewhat. Not sure how they will do, but it won't be great. I think Buffalo is in the same boat as Florida. I still see us as a bottom 5 team next season. A couple of teams got worse but I think right now are in slightly better positions than us still.

Everyone on Calgary got better, don't get me wrong. But every other team in the leagued in improved in some way. It will be an interesting upcoming season.

That's for sure. All very good points, and while I agree with much of what you said concerning teams having improved significantly (namely NYI, FLA, and as much as I also hate to admit it, the Coilers), there are also teams like OTT and TOR who figure to finish rock-bottom with BUF or close, in addition to the teams already mired in some semblance of a rebuild or restructuring (i.e. VAN and NAS), plus the two or three teams we never see regressing at the start of the year who end up falling surprisingly short of expectates - this years' candidates IMO being PHI, and perhaps NYR and even SJ if they decide to blow it up mid-season while they can still get some younger pieces for guys like Thorton and Marleau. Last year, we missed Cammy for a good chunk of the year, and missed Gio even more when he was out; we have solidified our goaltending significantly (remember, at the start of last year, unsure who'd emerge as the guy, and Hartley chucking all those starts at Berra) by subtraction AND addition - we now have two bonafide starters (both with something to prove) plus an up-and-comer in Ortio to keep the fire under their ***** lit.. While we may not have improved drastically on paper, I'd say there are fewer question marks coming into this season than there were a year ago, aside from which of our top young guys are going to make the strongest case for themselves to nab at least the one full-time LW spot I see as being up for grabs. We know what we have in Backlund, Mony, Colborne, Bouwma, and to a lesser extent Raymond and Bollig.. I see us this year as being both quicker and tougher, hungrier, a year wiser.. We may be able to begrudgingly assure ourselves of another top-10 pick, but I would not be surprised at all to see us improve markedly upon last year (again, barring any significant injuries).. and frankly, this upcoming year is the last year I would even remotely expect not making the playoffs.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
I don't know if we have two bonafide Starters. Hiller would still be in Anaheim if that was the case. This will be Ramo's second season. Hardly a bonafide goalie yet. Also if San Jose decided to blow it up by trading Thornton or Marleau maybe both they would still be in playoff race. The pieces they would get from either trades would help them, they would still have Hertl, Couture and Pavelski and Burns. The team is just that good. Beats me why you think the Rangers will suck next season. They just made the Cup Finals, they lost bottom 6 players. They replaced them already this offseason.

Even though we were a hard working team last season it won't mean other teams will be less hungrier. In two seasons this team will not be in the playoffs. we will be in the area Calgary has been in the middle, don't suck bad enough the be a bad team nor good enough to move forward in the standings and into playoffs, maybe still even suck. It does not take 2-3 years to turn a rebuilding team around.. We will get better for sure but we definitely won't be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad