Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think we will be better than last year because our biggest problem last year was allowing goals.

In: Hiller, Bollig, Engelland, rookies
Out: MacDonald, Cammalleri, Butler, SOB, Galiardi

Hiller easily replaces Mac.
Cammalleri was hurt a lot, he missed about 20 games and "wasn't right" for probably just as many as he missed. His 26 goals I think can be replaced by committee between the youngins
Bollig easily replaces Galiardi IMO.
Engelland should easily replace SOB.
The much insulted Butler will be the most difficult to replace. He ate alot of minutes and was a key figure on the PK, Engelland should replace some of that, but not nearly enough.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
McDavid, hands down. We could then keep him if he's even half as good as the hype, and seriously look at moving Bennett in a deal to try to secure a top line winger.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hanifin, but it will be nice to see these guys battle it out for best D in the draft...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At this time, Hanifin.

Who knows how the years play out in these deep drafts. I think Monahan was 2nd in the 2013 draft before the start of the year, and we can honestly say that the guys who jumped in front of him, turned out to make a big 4.

Let's see how the year plays out :), we might never have a chance at either of these kids,

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
McDavid is the clear cut #1 this draft. All year, they'll play this whole Eichel vs McDavid angle to draw up some drama and interest in the draft and both ends of the season.

To be honest, McDavid is probably shoulders above Eichel at this point, but they need to have some story-line for the draft.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I don't think we're that much better than last year. If you look at the 3 teams behind us (EDM,BUF,FLA) they have added some skill to their teams and should be better this year too. I wouldn't be surprised if Florida or maybe Edmonton gets ahead of us in the standings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa and Toronto finish this year where Florida and Edmonton did last year. I also see VAN and Philly potentially finishing near the bottom of the league this year, and a draft order something to the effect of:

OTT
TOR
BUF
VAN
PHI
CGY

Edit: in the hypothetical scenario we do end up picking at 6th next year's draft, who'd be the most likely candidate based on early projections?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa and Toronto finish this year where Florida and Edmonton did last year. I also see VAN and Philly potentially finishing near the bottom of the league this year, and a draft order something to the effect of:

Edit: in the hypothetical scenario we do end up picking at 6th next year's draft, who'd be the most likely candidate based on early projections?

Vancouver did enough to be a tweener team. That team is still okay, not great, but okay. Good enough to be the best of the worst.
I can't see Philly moving anywhere. That team still has one of the best players in the league. I can't see them dropping under Calgary, unfortunately.

TO and Ottawa might end up being really bad. For Toronto, you'd expect there to be a whole lot of firing going on. Ottawa, I predicted earlier might go full rebuild this year.

Kylington would be right around that 6 spot probably.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
To me Kylington is easily in the top four guys. He was very good in the elite league as a sixteen year old dman. Like most Swedish prospects he tends to not get the headlines of NA players. He's going to be good though. I would love any of those top four guys.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
No matter what anyone says, if things go the way they are going, there is no way people would pass up on McDavid, possibly purely because of the hype. Who will be the better player? I would guess McDavid because of the hype but time will tell.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I'm kind of hoping we end up with Kylington out of all the top prospects in this draft. I've got a huge man crush on him.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa and Toronto finish this year where Florida and Edmonton did last year.
If I recall correctly, the Leafs were fighting for a playoff spot near the end of the year until Bernier and one of their top guys got injured. I don't really see Toronto finishing behind us unless they have another injury plagued season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It depends on where we draft. It's whoever is available, taking the BPA. If they were both on the board, I'd take Hanifin rather easily.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
If I recall correctly, the Leafs were fighting for a playoff spot near the end of the year until Bernier and one of their top guys got injured. I don't really see Toronto finishing behind us unless they have another injury plagued season.
They also gave up 40+ shots a lot of games. It's pretty hard to put that kind of action at a goaltender and expect him to be solid all year. After awhile it will wear them down. It also wore the team down being outshot as much as they did, they end up running around their own end.
My take on it anyway.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Cammalleri was hurt a lot, he missed about 20 games and "wasn't right" for probably just as many as he missed. His 26 goals I think can be replaced by committee between the youngins

He was a big contributor to many of the wins.

Without him the oposition is going focus on the young guns...it's not going to be so easy for them to score.

Without a doubt, the first pick a very good possibility for the Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad