Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlateauKids

Sep 11, 2013
Zboril is a player I wouldn't mind seeing picked up. Seems to have a translatable game, fills a need etc.

Meloche in the 2nd would be nice as well. Same with Kylington, but definetly not at 15.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Have you watched Rantanen at all? If so, would it be worth trading up into the top 10 in hopes he falls to us?

Oh yes I have. He's playing in my favourite Finnish team (TPS, the same team where Kipper and Ortio came from). I'm very excited of him, and I see him even as a bigger talent than Ristolainen. (Well, of course it's easier for a forward to look great at that age). Rantanen is a complete package, who can be useful in any situations. He just doesn't have that many weaknesses, and because he's well-sized, I'm pretty sure that he'll be a top6-forward in the NHL some day. Especially because it looks like Rantanen plays his best game when it really matters. And I also think that Rantanen is more a playmaker than a goalscorer.

His playing style is a mix of the likes of Voracek, Barkov and Johansen. He's a great kid overall with fine attitude, and my opinion is that he would be a great fit in Hartley's #NeverQuit-style.

But I don't know about trading up. I'd love to get Rantanen, but don't see that happen.

ShotDownInFlames

May 16, 2015
ALBERTA
1. EDM - C. Mcdavid
2. BUF - J. Eichel
3. ARI - N. Hanifin
4. TOR - D. Strome
5. CAR - L. Crouse
6. NJ - M. Rantanen
7. PHI - M. Marner
8. CLB - I. Provorov
9. SJ - M. Barzal
10. COL - Z. Werenski
11. FLA - T. Meier
12. DAL - P. Zacha
13. LA - T. Konecny
14. BOS - K. Connor
15. CGY - T Chabot

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
1. EDM - C. Mcdavid
2. BUF - J. Eichel
3. ARI - N. Hanifin
4. TOR - D. Strome
5. CAR - L. Crouse
6. NJ - M. Rantanen
7. PHI - M. Marner
8. CLB - I. Provorov
9. SJ - M. Barzal
10. COL - Z. Werenski
11. FLA - T. Meier
12. DAL - P. Zacha
13. LA - T. Konecny
14. BOS - K. Connor
15. CGY - T Chabot

I have a hard time thinking Arizona doesn't take Strome. As well, Barzal is by far my favorite forward outside of the top two and I think NJD will take a serious look at taking him. Beyond that though, it does look like we will get our choice of Chabot or J Roy.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I have a hard time thinking Arizona doesn't take Strome. As well, Barzal is by far my favorite forward outside of the top two and I think NJD will take a serious look at taking him. Beyond that though, it does look like we will get our choice of Chabot or J Roy.

Somebody is going to fall...

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
Guys high on Konecky for the Flames? Not happening! Not in the first round at least. Too small. You may argue but Gaudreau................ he was a fourth round pick. With all his talent he was a fourth round pick.

Will we take a shot at Kylington, not at 15. I fully expect us to take a safe pick. I hope not though. I expect a dman with 2nd pairing upside.

I would take Svechnikov. Big Russian, smooth skating, with elite skill. As for the Russian factor? He plays in north america already, has learned the language somewhat in a year. Elite skills, Bennetts future winger! Why play in the minors in north america as a russian? Wants to be here!

Teams will turn away cause he is russian, I hope we do not. Guy is everything we need. With the Russian factor applied he is probably the BPA to us too. First round you take the BPA.

As for trading up or down? Trading up in the first round I could see the Flames doing this, a spot or two at the cost of a second round pick and our first. Top five is a pipe dream though! We would have to give up all of our picks and next years first pick too. Top ten would cost a fortune, top five forget it! Not happening! Trading up in the first round? A spot or two tops!

Will we trade up in the draft? I fully expect we will. 2 extra seconds and an extra third? We use all of our picks we need to sign them to contracts. 50 contracts max, we wont be able to sign all of our picks. Not without releasing some talent. Extra picks are ammo to move up in the draft. Nature of the beast!

I see us making our move in the late first round to early second round. I want Brandon Carlo! He will be a boring shutdown dman that makes player pay a price against him. Smooth skating big man. Not much of an offensive game yet. We picked Phaneuf and Shea Weber was the better Dman years later. Carlo has that same upside. Not as mean as Shea Weber though.

Some fans say trade down! I say bugger off Sutter, you did that for years and we lost everytime! Burke and Treliving scare me. I dont want our first round pick to be a guy with 2nd line upside as a forward or dman. Shoot for the homerun pick. Our system is stacked with 3rd or fourth line forwards and second and third pairing dmen. We need Quality, not quantity.

Good time to trade for prospects already drafted too. Lots of ammo going into the draft! I will be disappointed if we use all of our picks.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Guys high on Konecky for the Flames? Not happening! Not in the first round at least. Too small. You may argue but Gaudreau................ he was a fourth round pick. With all his talent he was a fourth round pick.

Konecny is not "too" small. He's about the same size as Giroux, Kane, Teravainen, Hudler, Drouin, Crosby, Yakupov etc. He's nowhere near as small as Gaudreau, who was like 5'5 when he was drafted.

That said I would prefer Merkley over Konecny if we're talking a smaller player.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Konecny is not "too" small. He's about the same size as Giroux, Kane, Teravainen, Hudler, Drouin, Crosby, Yakupov etc. He's nowhere near as small as Gaudreau, who was like 5'5 when he was drafted.

That said I would prefer Merkley over Konecny if we're talking a smaller player.

I'd take Konecny over Merkley if given the choice between the two just based on leadership and how aggressive Konecny! The kids a pitt bull on the ice! :laugh:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Ok so looking through all of this, it seems like these are the top 5 choices to draft at 15th (unless of course there are any fallers

Svechnikov
Roy
Chabot
Konecny
Merkley

Anyone missing?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ok so looking through all of this, it seems like these are the top 5 choices to draft at 15th (unless of course there are any fallers

Svechnikov
Roy
Chabot
Konecny
Merkley

Anyone missing?

Just Meier, but I think he will get picked earlier. Overall, I love that list. Svechnikov looks like the best one of the bunch.

If we pick him, I hope we are able to snag Korostelev in the 2nd round as well, just so we have another Russian forward in the mix.

WhiteTyAffair

May 16, 2015
Just Meier, but I think he will get picked earlier. Overall, I love that list. Svechnikov looks like the best one of the bunch.

If we pick him, I hope we are able to snag Korostelev in the 2nd round as well, just so we have another Russian forward in the mix.

Flames haven't drafted a Russian forward since Victor Bobrov in 2002. You expect them to take 2 in a row? Doubt it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Flames haven't drafted a Russian forward since Victor Bobrov in 2002. You expect them to take 2 in a row? Doubt it.

Considering we almost picked Kucherov in 2011, they can't necessarily be excluded. Additionally, both players I mentioned play in the CHL.

EDIT: And welcome to HFBoards!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Considering we almost picked Kucherov in 2011, they can't necessarily be excluded. Additionally, both players I mentioned play in the CHL.

EDIT: And welcome to HFBoards!

What?! :laugh:

Can you share this story/information? I've never heard this before...?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Presiding over that draft had been Jay Feaster, whose work-the-list mantra had been well-established. But Button convinced him to leave Gaudreau and Russian winger Nikita Kucherov as wild cards. In other words, don’t include them in the team’s in-house rankings of prospects.

“I said to Jay, ‘I’d like the latitude of not putting them on the list. Then when it’s time to make the call, let me make the call,’ ” recalls Button.

The Flames merrily made their second-round shouts — Markus Granlund, 45th; Tyler Wotherspoon, 57th — then groaned when the Tampa Bay Lightning nabbed Kucherov at No. 58.

“I turned to Jay and said, ‘We’ve got to take Johnny with the next pick,’ ” recalls Button. “Jay said, ‘Go ahead. Take him.’ ”

Scouts’ subterfuge played big role in Flames snaring Johnny Gaudreau at 2011 NHL draft

Sounds more like the Flames gambled that Kucherov and Gaudreau would be available later in the draft. Paid off with Gaudreau but Yzerman has never paid much heed to the anti-Russian stigma.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ever since then, I've been a believer in Button.

Sucks that we didn't get both Kucherov and Gaudreau.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Trade all our 2nd's for another pick in the 10-20 range.

Draft Roy and one of Kylington/Svechnikov

Rebuild over

Bask in babes and beer

May 27, 2012
Earth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->