Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad? PTII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Don't want Ho-Sang with a first (if we had one)!! Might not even take him with our 2nd. Sure he has the talent, but his mentality and attitude needs to be looked into and changed. If he has that "everyone but me" persona, I'd say **** off. That's not a player that I'd want for a win now mode. Don't think he'll mesh well with AV or anyone else if he keeps that up.

Just food for thought here, but Craig Button said on his mock draft special that Travis Sanheim is a poor-man's McDonagh. ;):nod:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah pass up on true talent for personal issues isn't something we can do without having a first round pick for ever, kids will screw up at times but in the right environment they will learn from their misstakes.

Agreed.

I want a lot of swing for the fences picks. Like Buchnevich and Duclair last year.

Agreed, but I think the kid that we should look more into who has that is DeAngelo. Not Ho-Sang.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Aside from the blog posts, are there any breakdowns of potential picks by the Rangers from the major hockey media outlets? I'm working on a GDT and wanted to include potential pick information.

I will probably include all the blog posts you linked as well, JB, below the graphic section of the GDT. If you want to compile a list of your pick breakdowns I will copy/paste them in later and credit you.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Agreed, but I think the kid that we should look more into who has that is DeAngelo. Not Ho-Sang.

I don't disagree.

But I'd be more inclined to draft Ho-Sang if he fell to us than DeAngelo, js.

They're both incredibly talented for their positions.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Just food for thought here, but Craig Button said on his mock draft special that Travis Sanheim is a poor-man's McDonagh. ;):nod:

Sanheim is one of the biggest risers in this draft, flavor of the month, he will be picked way before us at #59.

Toronto has no 2nd rounder. But they do have #68, #94, and #103 in rounds 3 and 4. I see them as possible trade partners if we trade down. I'd ask for #68 & #94. That would give us 3 picks from the top of the 3rd to top of the 4th round.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Yeah pass up on true talent for personal issues isn't something we can do without having a first round pick for ever, kids will screw up at times but in the right environment they will learn from their misstakes.

There are plenty of examples of kids who have straightened themselves out. For example I remember reading that Messier was in the dog house often in his early years same with Leetch.

The whole "blame everybody but me thing" is concerning. You have to spend time with a person like this to know if it's just a maturity thing and they can change or if they're on a rail and can never get off.

DracoMalfoy62

Jun 25, 2014
New York, NY
I havent looked into the draft at all yet.

Who are the big names?

Who do I need to look out for in terms of potential Rangers?

Im assuming defensive depth and centers will be focus?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Aside from the blog posts, are there any breakdowns of potential picks by the Rangers from the major hockey media outlets? I'm working on a GDT and wanted to include potential pick information.

I will probably include all the blog posts you linked as well, JB, below the graphic section of the GDT. If you want to compile a list of your pick breakdowns I will copy/paste them in later and credit you.

Sure I'll send you all the links via PM.

As for actual media outlets, Bleacher Report put out 3 potential prospects for NYR; D: Andreas Englund, LW: Beau Starett, and C: Mike Amadio. I can tell you that from a conversation on these boards that the poster, Renegade Stylings (who has something to do with the Saskatoon Blades) has said that the Rangers had a lot of meetings with top prospect Nikita Scherbak. At the combine, Dylan Larkin interviewed with all 30 teams. Blueshirt Banter also posted some European players as potential targets; D: Gustav Forsling, D: Emil Johansson, RW: Anton Karlsson, LW: Oskar Lindblom, LW: Vladislav Kamenev, and also saying D: Andreas Englund. Also Russian papers have stated a few months back that the Rangers were also scouting goaltender Igor Shesterkin. That's all I know as of right now.

I don't disagree.

But I'd be more inclined to draft Ho-Sang if he fell to us than DeAngelo, js.

They're both incredibly talented for their positions.

Agreed, but we'll disagree on who we'll select bro. ;)

Sanheim is one of the biggest risers in this draft, flavor of the month, he will be picked way before us at #59.

Toronto has no 2nd rounder. But they do have #68, #94, and #103 in rounds 3 and 4. I see them as possible trade partners if we trade down. I'd ask for #68 & #94. That would give us 3 picks from the top of the 3rd to top of the 4th round.

Agreed that Sanheim will be in the 1st round. No way he'll be in the 2nd. Depending on the circumstances I'd actually try that trade down. Getting surplus of picks to add to the 4 that we have this year would obviously be good for our prospect pool.

I havent looked into the draft at all yet.

Who are the big names?

Who do I need to look out for in terms of potential Rangers?

Im assuming defensive depth and centers will be focus?

First off, welcome to HF Draco. Be prepared to be annoyed a lot ;).

This draft class is forward heavy with little to no top defensive prospects in the 1st round. There is a 4-way race to be the 1st overall pick; 3 centers (Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart, Leon Draisaitl) and 1 defenseman (Aaron Ekblad). The Florida Panthers have that pick and rumor has it that they are willing to trade the pick for the right price. I believe if they'll pick, Ekblad would be their choice. He is mature enough to play now in the NHL and is compared to Brent Seabrook and Shea Weber. Will be a great pick and will play 20 seasons. Sam Bennett is a clone to Doug Gilmour in his two-way game and physicality. He couldn't do a single pull-up at the combine, but I don't think that'll matter at all to his draft stock. Sam Reinhart is all hockey IQ and will mentally tear someone apart. Does everything right and is in the right spot at the right time. Will be very solid, but might not have that elite style of play. Draisatl is a playmaking center that has Kopitar like qualities. Will also be the highest German to be drafted in the NHL so there'll be history being made on Friday.

The Rangers have 4 picks for the 7 round entry draft (2nd round/#59, 3rd round/#89, 4th round/#119, 5th round/#122) so yes the lack of centermen, right handed defensemen/offensive minded defensemen, and goaltending will be looked into on Friday. So you're assumption is correct. If you have the time to wander on the NHL draft portion or the Mock Draft portion of HF go for it. It'll definitely help to get yourself prepared for the draft. Also check TSN, NHL, and any other pro hockey sites. I'm sure they all are talking and prepping for Friday's draft.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island

Probably way too tough to predict this year. This draft is going to be all over the place.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Well I ended up just taking a D, C and Wing off the list of articles from savedbyrichter. So those will have to suffice. :D

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I wish we'd just trade our 2-4 picks for 1 #1 and take Adrian Kempe.

I want Scherbak if he's around at 20ish. Could it be done with two 2nds and a 3rd? Since we picking next to last I'd say no.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Where is Mangiapane projected to go? I'm very intrigued by him.

He got limited minutes on the Colts (and almost no PP time whatsoever) against tough competition, yet scored even strength points at the 3rd best rate in the entire draft class. He scored almost 50% of the Colts' goals with him on the ice, and of the remaining goals he had an assist on over 75%. Only Reinhart and Draisatl had a higher point share in the draft class (unless you count Graham Miller who got less than 8 minutes per night).

He is a risky pick considering his limited role, but he performed EXTREMELY well with what he got. I'd love to grab him with our 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad