Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad? PTII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Could we have a summary of the Rangers' picks in the 2014 draft in the OP so you have an idea of which players might be available?

I'm guessing we aren't up until pick 58 (with the Devils forfeiting their 1st rounder), is there even the slightest chance that DeAngelo drops to us? Righty offensive defenceman with an unreal skill level, and I've heard noises that his fancystats are great. Meanwhile there are plenty of narratives around the guy that could see him drop with his suspension and "character issues" and piling up points on a bad team.

If he is on the board in the middle of the 2nd I'd trade up to grab him. Talent is talent.

I see DeAngelo as this year's Duclair. Attitude problems amongst other things make a once very highly touted pick drop like a rock.

I wouldn't be surprised if he drops to the 3rd round.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Anton Karlsson

Do you think there's anyway we would move up to grab him? Is he worth moving up in the 2nd round to grab, and where do you think he gets picked?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Someone's going to pick DeAngelo before 59--attitude or not. New Jersey would be one team. They didn't care about Corrente's attitude and they didn't care about Merrill's. They pick solely on who they think is the best player. They've done well over the years picking guys who were falling on draft night. Petr Sykora--Zach Parise for two more examples.

There are usually guys that drop but expecting 1st round talent to fall all the way to pick 59 is expecting way too much. Rangers got Duclair because he had a pretty mediocre year. They got Buchnevich because he was an iffy Russian.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
There's an extremely slim chance he is at our pick (at #59 by the way). Character issues or not, DeAngelo has too much skill to be let into the 3rd round. Absolute steal if he even gets past mid 2nd IMO.

As for Karlsson, if we were trading up for anyone that's considered a late 1st, it would be for Scherbak. He's the most logical choice and is the only one that I know of that the Rangers actually scouted during the year and had had previous talks with him before the combine (which he also opted out to part take). I would say Kempe or Larkin, but I'd see them going mid 1st. Larkin apparently spoke with all 30 teams during the combine weekend.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Eh, people said the same stuff about Kabanov and he fell into the 3rd round. You never know how things will shake out. That being said, I think some xenophobia helped push Kabanov down that far.

If Deangelo is there, you really just have to take him. He'd be the BPA by a long shot, IMO, and he fills a major organizational need as well.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think it's extremely important to get at least one player from this draft. Would it cripple the teams future entirely not getting a player, no. Would it make losing all these recent high picks a lot harder to take and keep the franchise cap manageable ?

I'd love to get a good prospect at a position we really need like Center, RHD, Sizable PF, but I also think it'll take 3 years for that player to get here. It will be 2017 NYRs. What will they be like? Who will be GM? Who will be coach ?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I think it's extremely important to get at least one player from this draft. Would it cripple the teams future entirely not getting a player, no. Would it make losing all these recent high picks a lot harder to take and keep the franchise cap manageable ?

I'd love to get a good prospect at a position we really need like Center, RHD, Sizable PF, but I also think it'll take 3 years for that player to get here. It will be 2017 NYRs. What will they be like? Who will be GM? Who will be coach ?

Did you post your draft preview yet

:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

A Rangers fan at heart, here is a look at some options from the DraftBuzz Draft Board.

Attachments

• NYR Preview.png
    NYR Preview.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 44

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
A Rangers fan at heart, here is a look at some options from the DraftBuzz Draft Board.

I mentioned Iverson as a possible target before. Thought he would be a target with our 3rd rounder, but we'll probably miss out on him that late in the round. Love his willingness to engage physically. Bit of a project, but I think he could wind up as a very good 3rd liner someday.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
I was going to ask about Keegan Iverson I think he would be ideal if he's there we need some big willing players plus he looks to have some upside to his offense

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Did you post your draft preview yet

:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller:propeller

Soon, not going to be much with no first rounder. I'll be at the night of the first round but not rounds 2-7.

And don't overuse those propeller guys, I'm gonna need them :p:

On that draftbuzz list I like Siebenaler, Magyar, Labanc, and Mayo.

What about BC bound Chris Brown, who looks like the kind of prospect we've been drafting?

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
According to a Russian poster in the prospects thread:

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Comparison: Varly-lite.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

According to RLR:

Next up for Red Line is Igor Shestyorkin, a super-competitive kid who never gives up on a play. The cat-like acrobat shows phenomenal reflexes and anticipation, and almost never gets beaten by anything clean - it has to be a rebound, deflection, or screen shot. He needs plenty of work on his technique, but his focus and concentration are outstanding. The biggest downside is clubs not being certain of his future intentions - he has indicated a willingness to come to North America once his Kontinental Hockey League contract is done, but his availability is not a given.

RLR rated Shestyorkin as the second best goaltender for this year's draft. Definitely would be a good pick in the 4th round.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ne-report-top-goaltenders-nhl-draft/10772577/

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
According to RLR:

Next up for Red Line is Igor Shestyorkin, a super-competitive kid who never gives up on a play. The cat-like acrobat shows phenomenal reflexes and anticipation, and almost never gets beaten by anything clean - it has to be a rebound, deflection, or screen shot. He needs plenty of work on his technique, but his focus and concentration are outstanding. The biggest downside is clubs not being certain of his future intentions - he has indicated a willingness to come to North America once his Kontinental Hockey League contract is done, but his availability is not a given.

RLR rated Shestyorkin as the second best goaltender for this year's draft. Definitely would be a good pick in the 4th round.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ne-report-top-goaltenders-nhl-draft/10772577/

outstanding prospect. hes not real big but hes very athletic. he has said he wants to play in the nhl.

his style is kinda out there. i wouldnt say hes got a solid technical style. watching him and i have a fair bit, hes got some hasek in him. hes creative and competitive. i agree with the above and have posted this before, he usually isnt beaten on the first shot. hes extremely hard to beat if he sees the puck.

he would be a very good choice.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
According to RLR:

outstanding prospect. hes not real big but hes very athletic. he has said he wants to play in the nhl.

his style is kinda out there. i wouldnt say hes got a solid technical style. watching him and i have a fair bit, hes got some hasek in him. hes creative and competitive. i agree with the above and have posted this before, he usually isnt beaten on the first shot. hes extremely hard to beat if he sees the puck.

he would be a very good choice.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. he reminds me a lot like Varlamov with a slim shade of Hasek. Great technical movement and willingness to compete. He'll be a good selection in the 5th.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I posted on the first page of this thread, but how does everyone fare on forward Arkhip Nekolenko?

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've said it once and I'll say it again. he reminds me a lot like Varlamov with a slim shade of Hasek. Great technical movement and willingness to compete. He'll be a good selection in the 5th.

ha. he has great movement for sure. hes lightening quick and moves effortlessly.

technical movement?? not so much :laugh:

he kind of makes it up as he goes sometimes.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
ha. he has great movement for sure. hes lightening quick and moves effortlessly.

technical movement?? not so much :laugh:

he kind of makes it up as he goes sometimes.

Very Hasek like. No worries, Benoit Allaire will straighten out the technical side of his game. Then we'll have a Hasek/Lundqvist cross breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad