Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad? PTII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Does anyone have a scouting report on Lammikko out of Finland? Sounds like he could be pretty good pick that might last to the end of the 2nd.

The other guy I like is Hunter Smith, but I have a feeling he'll be gone

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The US college bound kids from the McKenzie rankings and where they are headed

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...s-bob-mckenzie-releases-top-60-final-rankings

McKenzie has Jake Walman at #60. Providence College.

The Redline Report loves Walman

Walman played Tier II hockey in Toronto and is rather slightly built at 6-1, 170 pounds, but still plays a physical game with a nasty edge and competes hard in the battle areas. His puckhandling confidence is impressive, and he's dynamic swinging out of his own end and accelerating through the neutral zone. He shows great vision and patience, always skating with his head up looking to make plays, and usually makes very good decisions in puck movement. He has the speed to take the puck end-to-end, and is also terrific quarterbacking the power play. Very much an under-appreciated hidden gem.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hl-draft-red-line-report-defensemen/10341505/

Another Canadian NCAA bound player is Brandon Hickey. BU freshman in the fall. Hickey is from Alberta.

To this point, Hickey has applied his quick feet more to being agile and staying in good position. He has the capability to show a greater offensive flair in the future. This season, Hickey tallied four goals and 22 points over 49 regular-season games while helping the Saints win the AJHL championship, capping his two productive seasons with coach Jason Mckee.

"I value his input and the way he's taught me," Hickey says of McKee, a former Michigan Tech and Seattle Thunderbirds defenceman. "He didn't beat around the bush. He told you straight out how it was and I love that about him."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/b...don-hickey-spruce-grove-saints-160220334.html

The three defensemen will be key to a team that did not have much depth last season. When Grzelcyk went down with an injury, BU struggled to keep six defensemen in the lineup every game.

“We are adding Diffley who is a 6-foot-1, 185 pounder who can really skate,†Quinn said. “We are adding Hickey, who is 6-foot-1, 190 pounds who can really skate. And we are adding MacLeod who is 6-foot-1, 200-pounds who can skate and is tough as nails.

http://dailyfreepress.com/2014/05/01/mens-hockey-adds-six-new-skaters-for-2014-15-campaign/

MacLeod is #56 in the TSN rankings

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Glover seems like a decent fit for us, too.

What are his strengths? Weaknesses?

Glover measured in at just a hair over 6'3" at the NHL Combine, so he's definitely got the size necessary to play in the NHL, and he's an excellent skater, so there are no concerns about his mobility. Glover might be one of the better pure athletes available in the draft. He's not an overly physical presence, preferring to use his skating ability to make plays than brute force.

The question is if he can be a hockey player. For a player with his physical gifts, Glover just doesn't dominate games with his skating in the way one might hope. He's a very good defenseman that looks like he has the tools to be a great defenseman. There are also some concerns about his defensive play. He can get lost in his own zone at times, leaving forwards wide open, and is serviceable, but not great defending one-on-one rushes.

How was his draft year? Trending up or down?

Slightly downward. Heading into this year, Glover was considered a potential first round pick by many. But as prospects are watched more closely in their draft year, the finer points of play are given more emphasis, and Glover slipped a bit. Glover didn't necessarily have a poor season, but rather than continuing to develop and becoming the top defenseman on the NTDP squad, he was just one of a bunch of pretty good pro prospects on the NTDP blueline alongside Jack Dougherty, Ryan Collins, and Jon MacLeod.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...nhl-draft-prospect-jack-glover-ntdp-minnesota

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bob McKenzie rankings

3 American boys

#12-Larkin

#17-Tuch

#18-Milano

Anton Karlsson at #39. He would be perfect for the Rangers.

A lot of US bound college players

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95289

I'm a fan of the guy at 58 on that list. Brayden Point. Small, but highly skilled RH center with a lot of will. Saw him play with McIlrath during the undertaker's last year in the dub where Brayden played in the playoffs a year before his 16 yearold rookie season, and the kid was lights out.

Zuccarello like will and heart for a little guy, and lightning quick release with a high IQ. Would be an absolute home run at 58.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What's wrong w Braydon Point's game that he's ranked 58th (aside from being 5'10")? He put up 91 points in the WHL last season.

Nothing, bad team for the last two years, very little exposure. Played with McIlrath in Dylan's last playoff run in the dub. That Moose Jaw team went to the conference finals with a much weaker roster and Point was a clutch goal scorer, and McIlrath was an absolute shutdown force.

Size issue is there, but the kid is all heart. Will to go with skill, I sure hope he drops to 59.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nothing, bad team for the last two years, very little exposure. Played with McIlrath in Dylan's last playoff run in the dub. That Moose Jaw team went to the conference finals with a much weaker roster and Point was a clutch goal scorer, and McIlrath was an absolute shutdown force.

Size issue is there, but the kid is all heart. Will to go with skill, I sure hope he drops to 59.

Seems like a player the Rangers should take a risk on. Need more skill players in the organization. All heart sounds like A Rangers pick as well. If he's around in the second hope they make a move to grab him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Duclair was just a little bit younger, I wonder where he would've gone in this draft.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
If Duclair was just a little bit younger, I wonder where he would've gone in this draft.

His wheels were off the tracks last year. And he still had a decent year, didn't live up to high end expectations. Everyone knew there was talent there, I think we were extremely lucky to get him. Remember, we took TWO players just ahead of him, I think it shows even we had doubts. Having three 3rds is nice when you have no first.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So, I'd really try to move up to grab DeAngelo if he starts falling.

Despite facing top competition on a terrible team, he had a relative +/- of +1.76 (huge!) and scored 1.39 PPG as a defenceman.

Would not be surprised if he ends up being better than Ekblad. I'm not saying it is going to happen, or that it is the most probable outcome, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Three in-game misconducts this season for violations against the ref. 3 suspensions this year for racist remarks. History of alcohol and substance abuse.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a player the Rangers should take a risk on. Need more skill players in the organization. All heart sounds like A Rangers pick as well. If he's around in the second hope they make a move to grab him.

I would, best player on a bad team for 2 years. I doubt he's there at 59 given my opinion of him. There is also a defenseman by the name of Phil Baltisberger that played in Guelph that I'd grab if Point wasn't there.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Three in-game misconducts this season for violations against the ref. 3 suspensions this year for racist remarks. History of alcohol and substance abuse.

Talent is talent.

If DeAngelo fell to the Rangers I'd REALLY want him to be picked.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If DeAngelo is there, you need to take him.

Also, I really hope this team can find some way to nab Shane Gersich. Kid is so fast up the middle and really underrated. Unfortunately he was overshadowed by Eichel and other US forwards

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't know if the Rangers have the pieces to move up to get him, but boy would I like them to grab Joshua Ho-Sang.

Love this story on him, and I think this is the kind of team/org where he would flourish. He doesn't come without flaws, but I think the Rangers have proven they can nurture players like this and really help them develop into quality pros. He has too much elite skill to get held back by other issues. http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I don't know if the Rangers have the pieces to move up to get him, but boy would I like them to grab Joshua Ho-Sang.

Love this story on him, and I think this is the kind of team/org where he would flourish. He doesn't come without flaws, but I think the Rangers have proven they can nurture players like this and really help them develop into quality pros. He has too much elite skill to get held back by other issues. http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

Did the Rangers interview this kid?

This is a very smart young man. Sure, he's got a chip, but it maybe there for a very good reason.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Did the Rangers interview this kid?

This is a very smart young man. Sure, he's got a chip, but it maybe there for a very good reason.

I actually love his "I'm the best" attitude. This team needs some swagger like that. The constant humble nature of hockey players gets really annoying sometimes. No-fun league much.

But I REALLY hate his "blame everyone but me" attitude. "It's the league, it's the other teams, it's racism, it's anyone but me", that is the attitude I absolutely hate to see.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Yeah pass up on true talent for personal issues isn't something we can do without having a first round pick for ever, kids will screw up at times but in the right environment they will learn from their misstakes.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah pass up on true talent for personal issues isn't something we can do without having a first round pick for ever, kids will screw up at times but in the right environment they will learn from their misstakes.

Agreed.

I want a lot of swing for the fences picks. Like Buchnevich and Duclair last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad