Prospect Info: Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad? PTII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So was anyone paying attention to the combine at all this past weekend? Was busy all the time and was unable to follow it. What were some highlights? Lowlights? Who sparked y'alls minds?

Last edited:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
So the first guy to be announced via twitter to our development camp invites....
https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status/474732040534126592

C: Kevin Rooney from Providence College
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=180925

Any info on the guy?

His Uncle Steve Rooney scored the Hockey East Championship goal in 1985 vs BC. He was also one of my first hockey coaches in Pee Wees.

Kevin Rooney has some size, 21 yrs old, could be a decent late rounder.

I'll let ya know what I think about the combine once the finals end, can't get around to the draft just yet :)

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Is it possible for the Rangers to just use every single draft pick on players who have extremely hard shots? Maybe they'll strike gold with one of them and get someone who can actually shoot it hard on the PP.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Is it possible for the Rangers to just use every single draft pick on players who have extremely hard shots? Maybe they'll strike gold with one of them and get someone who can actually shoot it hard on the PP.

Well in terms of a PP QB, there actually is a plentiful amount of offensive minded defensemen in this years draft, both left handed and right handed. Two that'll most likely go in the 1st round would be Julius Honka and Anthony DeAngelo, although DeAngelo may drop due to his off ice issues and defensive inconsistencies. In the mid rounds, look for guys like Jack Dougherty, Blake Siebenaler and Brycen Martin to be the main targets as well as Sweden's Sebastian Aho (I think many people underrate this smaller D-man). Others to note that I see offensive upside; William Lagesson, Gustav Forsling, Josh Jacobs, Kelly Summers. They're plenty more guys that can be selected in the later rounds but these are just a few I think could produce well in the future.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
According to a Russian poster in the prospects thread:

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Comparison: Varly-lite.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

Igor Shestyorkin (KHL: 9GP, 2.80, .903; MHL: 23GP, 1.42, .947; MHL PO: 19GP, 1.75, .937 - MHL Champion) - confident and charismatic goalie with some quick reflexes. In his short KHL stint showed that he is ready to play pro hockey and looked fine in a crashing and burning bankrupt Spartak team. Because of Spartak's bankruptcy he might be willing to go to NA immediately, which might raise his draft stock.
Prediction: Might go in 4-th round, since the talent is definitely there. Rangers have scouted him and they got two picks in 4-th, so...

i know that we have looked at him. hes another who has stated he wants to play in the nhl.

hes very athletic and tough to beat with any first shot but hes unorthodox and a bit scrambly. dom hasek comes to mind with his athletic reaction type style. technically, hes a bit wild. hes also not real big if i remember. the 6'2 and taller goalie seems to be in vogue now and hes not that at all.

i think we go goaltender in this draft and i also believe it will be a euro goalie.

4th round seems about right.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

i know that we have looked at him. hes another who has stated he wants to play in the nhl.

hes very athletic and tough to beat with any first shot but hes unorthodox and a bit scrambly. dom hasek comes to mind with his athletic reaction type style. technically, hes a bit wild. hes also not real big if i remember. the 6'2 and taller goalie seems to be in vogue now and hes not that at all.

i think we go goaltender in this draft and i also believe it will be a euro goalie.

4th round seems about right.

This, he reminds me a lot of Varlamov, not so much Hasek. He is also extremely poised under pressure. I could see him being an option for the post-Lundqvist era.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
From RLR:

Left wing Justin Kirkland, Kelowna. He's a huge, gangly (6-3, 190) winger who — early on — had the big frame, but was all arms and legs, lacked a bit of coordination and was not yet the sum of his parts. He was also brought along slowly on a deep, powerhouse Kelowna club, seeing only third-line ice time and no power-play duty. But in the season's second half, he began to put things together and forced the Rockets to increase his quality minutes, becoming a key contributor in their deep playoff run. His wide body and physicality down low gave linemates more room to maneuver, and he stood up for teammates regularly, making everyone braver.

He also started to show that he has soft hands for a big man-child, and can really snap home rebounds and shots around the slot. Already quite a good skater who is light on his edges despite thin legs, we think his skating will be outstanding in a couple of years once he fills out that great frame and acquires some lower-body strength.

Unless we trade up, we'll be picking at the end of the 2nd round, This kid might be a good pick there.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Justin Kirkland would be a very nice start to the draft for the NYR. Final Ranked #54 at DraftBuzz. Huge upside, has had good mentorship at Kelowna. Echoing Redline, his Draft Board quick comment is: Lanky, big guy w/ smooth gears still doesn't even know himself.

Since Joey Bones asked, some projected 2nd-4th rounders who impressed in combine events NHL execs take seriously are:

Dylan Sadowy
Michael Bunting
Blake Siebenaler
Alex Peters
Luc Snuggerud
Connor Chatham
Shane Gersich
Warren Foegele

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
From RLR:

Left wing Justin Kirkland, Kelowna. He's a huge, gangly (6-3, 190) winger who — early on — had the big frame, but was all arms and legs, lacked a bit of coordination and was not yet the sum of his parts. He was also brought along slowly on a deep, powerhouse Kelowna club, seeing only third-line ice time and no power-play duty. But in the season's second half, he began to put things together and forced the Rockets to increase his quality minutes, becoming a key contributor in their deep playoff run. His wide body and physicality down low gave linemates more room to maneuver, and he stood up for teammates regularly, making everyone braver.

He also started to show that he has soft hands for a big man-child, and can really snap home rebounds and shots around the slot. Already quite a good skater who is light on his edges despite thin legs, we think his skating will be outstanding in a couple of years once he fills out that great frame and acquires some lower-body strength.

Unless we trade up, we'll be picking at the end of the 2nd round, This kid might be a good pick there.

Seems good to me, but trading up a few spots to snag a guy of his caliber might not be too satisfying IMO. We could try for a guy like Clark Bishop who is a north/south, all heart and soul guy who can be picked probably 5th round. Off the top of my head, I think Trevor Lewis is a good NHL comparison, but I could be wrong.

Justin Kirkland would be a very nice start to the draft for the NYR. Final Ranked #54 at DraftBuzz. Huge upside, has had good mentorship at Kelowna. Echoing Redline, his Draft Board quick comment is: Lanky, big guy w/ smooth gears still doesn't even know himself.

Since Joey Bones asked, some projected 2nd-4th rounders who impressed in combine events NHL execs take seriously are:

Dylan Sadowy
Michael Bunting
Blake Siebenaler
Alex Peters
Luc Snuggerud
Connor Chatham
Shane Gersich
Warren Foegele

Yes to the bolded. Thanks for responding. Sadowy surprised me the most. Pretty much scored top 5 in almost every test. Made me a fan after that showing.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Shayne Gersich sounds like an awesome second round pick if he's still there, maybe even with the potential to try to move up and grab him. Scouts say he has game breaking speed up the middle which would be a great help for us.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

Dylan Sadowy
Michael Bunting
Blake Siebenaler
Alex Peters
Luc Snuggerud
Connor Chatham
Shane Gersich
Warren Foegele

I want Snuggerud so we can have a guy on the team nicknamed Snuggy. It will definitely make reading the boards much more enjoyable.:D

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Shayne Gersich sounds like an awesome second round pick if he's still there, maybe even with the potential to try to move up and grab him. Scouts say he has game breaking speed up the middle which would be a great help for us.

To be honest, Gersich is more of a 3rd round choice. I could see someone taking a flyer on him in the 2nd round based off his combine performance, but he would be a solid selection in the 3rd. The speed on this kid is unreal, though.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I want to find the center prospect equivalent of Buchnevich/Duclair in the second round. Any good candidates?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I want to find the center prospect equivalent of Buchnevich/Duclair in the second round. Any good candidates?

I would say John Quenneville (most likely taken in the 1st or early 2nd), Eric Cornel (most likely taken in the early 2nd), Shane Eiserman (should be just about our pick), Jayce Hawryluk (should also be around our pick, but will most likely go mid 2nd), Shane Gersich (more of a reach in the 2nd IMO, but still a good option), and Ryan Donato (another reach in the 2nd IMO). From Europe I would say Pavel Jenys (should just be around our selection), Leon Bristedt (huge reach in the 2nd round), and Antti Kalapudas (to be honest, I don't know what round he'll end up, but he's not a 2nd rounder). I'm not saying they're exactly like that say caliber of Buchnevich and Dulair, but they are all talented in they're own way. If I selected one of these guys to center Buchnevich and Duclair, I'd select Gersich just because of his speed alone!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Also another note here...

Arkhip Nekolenko was considered a late 1st/early 2nd rounder at the beginning of the year. He had an injury riddled season, but when playing still put up great numbers. But when I see other mock drafts and look at prospect ratings, he's below the pack. What happened? Is there something more than just the injuries? I'd say he'd be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=168683

What do you guys think? Next Buchnevich/Duclair selection?

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
If anybody is interested in going to the 2014 NHL Draft in Philadelphia, I have tickets for day 2 of the draft, Saturday June 28th, rounds 2-7 (when the NYR pick), reserved seats. Please PM me if interested.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Could we have a summary of the Rangers' picks in the 2014 draft in the OP so you have an idea of which players might be available?

I'm guessing we aren't up until pick 58 (with the Devils forfeiting their 1st rounder), is there even the slightest chance that DeAngelo drops to us? Righty offensive defenceman with an unreal skill level, and I've heard noises that his fancystats are great. Meanwhile there are plenty of narratives around the guy that could see him drop with his suspension and "character issues" and piling up points on a bad team.

If he is on the board in the middle of the 2nd I'd trade up to grab him. Talent is talent.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Could we have a summary of the Rangers' picks in the 2014 draft in the OP so you have an idea of which players might be available?

I'm guessing we aren't up until pick 58 (with the Devils forfeiting their 1st rounder), is there even the slightest chance that DeAngelo drops to us? Righty offensive defenceman with an unreal skill level, and I've heard noises that his fancystats are great. Meanwhile there are plenty of narratives around the guy that could see him drop with his suspension and "character issues" and piling up points on a bad team.

If he is on the board in the middle of the 2nd I'd trade up to grab him. Talent is talent.

I think we have pick 59. The Devils have their first round pick, but it's pick 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad