Official 2013 Patriots/NFL Thread-Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Even a decrepit, worthless Ed Reed would benefit the Pats to some degree. Ed is one of the few guys that Belichick considers his "white whale." Bill would pick Ed's brain til the cows come home, getting any possible information that could help Belichick gameplan against the opposing defenses gameplan.

Fck it, hire him as a consultant/asst. coach for all I care. Bring the guy in.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Even a decrepit, worthless Ed Reed would benefit the Pats to some degree. Ed is one of the few guys that Belichick considers his "white whale." Bill would pick Ed's brain til the cows come home, getting any possible information that could help Belichick gameplan against the opposing defenses gameplan.

Fck it, hire him as a consultant/asst. coach for all I care. Bring the guy in.

Anyone remember the last time Bill went out and got one of his man crushes? It was Chad Johnson. BB used to talk all day long about how smart and heady and cerebral this guy was, and when he came here he couldn't remember the playbook. So while Ed Reed was a great player, he's not anymore. Even if BB loves the guy, I wouldn't put much stock in him being able to do much on the field if he ends up here.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Anyone remember the last time Bill went out and got one of his man crushes? It was Chad Johnson. BB used to talk all day long about how smart and heady and cerebral this guy was, and when he came here he couldn't remember the playbook. So while Ed Reed was a great player, he's not anymore. Even if BB loves the guy, I wouldn't put much stock in him being able to do much on the field if he ends up here.

Yeah I heard T+R bring up the Ocho precedent a few minutes ago, it's certainly a good point. I just have an Ed Reed mancrush, too. :laugh: But if he can't run, then he's useless as a player. I still wouldn't mind seeing him as a DB coach, though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah I heard T+R bring up the Ocho precedent a few minutes ago, it's certainly a good point. I just have an Ed Reed mancrush, too. :laugh: But if he can't run, then he's useless as a player. I still wouldn't mind seeing him as a DB coach, though.

I'm a fan as well, and I wanted them to sign him over Adrian Wilson in the off season. Looking back on it, they both seem to be all done at this point. If it's cheap enough, I'd take a flier, but my expectations for what Reed has left in the tank are obviously lower now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not sure Ed Reed is in the same intellectual category as Ocho? Also, I have not gotten to see Reed play more than a couple of plays this year, but it's my understanding he was cut more for his criticism of management the other day than performance.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Also, I have not gotten to see Reed play more than a couple of plays this year, but it's my understanding he was cut more for his criticism of management the other day than performance.

Nope. The criticism was just the final straw. He lost his starting job and played so poorly that he was demoted to "dime back" three weeks ago, well before the comments were made.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Not sure Ed Reed is in the same intellectual category as Ocho? Also, I have not gotten to see Reed play more than a couple of plays this year, but it's my understanding he was cut more for his criticism of management the other day than performance.

Yeah this is a fair point. BB loved Ocho as a gamebreaking receiver and because of his colorful personality, from what I remember. I don't really remember Belichick gushing over his in-game instincts and his work-ethic/IQ like he does with Reed. Reed is the best FS to ever play the game in BB's opinion, which is quite the endorsement.

BB basically flirted with Ocho at the Pro Bowl and always like him from then on, similar to Adalius Thomas. But LSC makes a good point about the Adrian Wilson pick-up. Give him some adderall/deer antler and sign him, otherwise stand pat. :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Nope. The criticism was just the final straw. He lost his starting job and played so poorly that he was demoted to "dime back" three weeks ago, well before the comments were made.

Like I said, haven't seen much of Reed, and I am not a big fan of some of your other observations, so I will reserve judgement on his play until I see him myself (if someone signs him).

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Like I said, haven't seen much of Reed, and I am not a big fan of some of your other observations, so I will reserve judgement on his play until I see him myself (if someone signs him).

Nice dig. Find one ex player, analyst or NFL talking head that has commented on this move and disagrees with me. Not only are the "average joe" fans largely in agreement on this one (check any nfl.com, cnnsi.com or espn.com poll), but the folks that are paid to watch and analyze his game appear to be in unanimous agreement on this one as well. It's not like I'm going out on a limb here.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Nice dig. Find one ex player, analyst or NFL talking head that has commented on this move and disagrees with me. Not only are the "average joe" fans largely in agreement on this one (check any nfl.com, cnnsi.com or espn.com poll), but the folks that are paid to watch and analyze his game appear to be in unanimous agreement on this one as well. It's not like I'm going out on a limb here.

Dig? I thought I was just being honest? I haven't seen Reed play, I have no idea what level of football acumen you possess and I don't give two ***** what the average joe thinks. If BB thinks he can help, he will make a play for him, if he thinks he's done, he won't.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

You said find one.

The Boston Herald’s Jeff Howe ruminates on the possibility of a Reed-Bill Belichick partnership.

Bill Belichick and Ed Reed have always shown a deep admiration for one another's work. Now, there might be another opportunity for the pair to link up.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You said find one.

No, no, no. That's not what I said to find. I already talked about the teams that maybe would be interested in bringing him in for a look or claiming him. Right now, every reporter in Dallas, NY and NE are talking about their teams possibly bringing him in and trying to get "the scoop". I'm talking about outside "unbiased" talent evaluators and analysts, not reporters reporting on the possibility of the teams they cover bringing him in.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
No, no, no. That's not what I said to find. I already talked about the teams that maybe would be interested in bringing him in for a look or claiming him. Right now, every reporter in Dallas, NY and NE are talking about their teams possibly bringing him in and trying to get "the scoop". I'm talking about outside "unbiased" talent evaluators and analysts, not reporters reporting on the possibility of the teams they cover bringing him in.

Nice try.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The story I linked earlier was from NFL.com, and they did not have DAL listed as a favorite.

I don't think Reed would come in and be a superstar by any means (in all likelihood Reed would be a sub) and I would be more interested in him as I kind of coach on the field for his experience.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Nice try.

I'm not anti-Ed Reed, but you clearly didn't find what he was asking for. Reporting on the possibility of Reed signing with a team is not the same thing as an analyst saying Reed can still play well.

I mean, someone has probably said so. ESPN wouldn't do well if everyone agreed all the time. But that wasn't it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I'm not anti-Ed Reed, but you clearly didn't find what he was asking for. Reporting on the possibility of Reed signing with a team is not the same thing as an analyst saying Reed can still play well.

I mean, someone has probably said so. ESPN wouldn't do well if everyone agreed all the time. But that wasn't it.

You are correct. I misinterpreted that.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The story I linked earlier was from NFL.com, and they did not have DAL listed as a favorite.

espn had them as a favorite yesterday, but they just updated with new info, saying they dropped out as well:

The Dallas Cowboys had been discussing whether to pursue Reed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder but a Cowboys front-office source later told ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins that the team has decided against it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9965883/houston-texans-release-ed-reed?src=mobile

I don't think Reed would come in and be a superstar by any means (in all likelihood Reed would be a sub) and I would be more interested in him as I kind of coach on the field for his experience.

I'm sure this is the plan for someone, if he clears waivers. Right now, the $900K he'd be due if he's activated for half a season is a tad steep for just a DB coach. If he clears waivers, they could at least attempt to pay him less. He might be open to that, considering he just fleeced Houston for $5 mil for 7 weeks of "work".

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Dig? I thought I was just being honest? I haven't seen Reed play, I have no idea what level of football acumen you possess and I don't give two ***** what the average joe thinks. If BB thinks he can help, he will make a play for him, if he thinks he's done, he won't.

That was a dig? Holy crap some people are sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad