Hooksett, NH
Yay Patriots.

Attachments

• pats win saints.png
    pats win saints.png
    897.1 KB · Views: 43

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Big props to Jimmy Graham, Cecil Shorts, and Torrey Smith for combining for 1 fantasy point; my team really benefited from that one point.

Sox/Pats winning certainly alleviated my fantasy football Monday morning butthurt, however.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hoping for good news about Amendola, Mayo and Talib.

That Amendola hit made me sick to my stomach.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
That Amendola hit made me sick to my stomach.

A guy with his injury history really has to learn to avoid taking those unnecessary hits, especially that close to the sidelines. Get out of bounds or dive at the opponents feet and live to see another day.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/..._his_call_of_patriots_game-winning_touch.html

I do not accept his explanation. The only acceptable one is that he clearly has CTE, even though as a 3rd string QB for much of his career, Zolak was holding a clipboard. I imagine he probably hit himself in the head with the clipboard numerous times.

When Gil and Gino were doing games, they would make mistakes, but they would give you a good call of the game. Not like other cities where the color guy is an obnoxious idiot screaming and yelling.

If I was PBP guy Bob Socci, I would have choked Zolak to death with piano wire for stomping on my call.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/..._his_call_of_patriots_game-winning_touch.html

I do not accept his explanation. The only acceptable one is that he clearly has CTE, even though as a 3rd string QB for much of his career, Zolak was holding a clipboard. I imagine he probably hit himself in the head with the clipboard numerous times.

When Gil and Gino were doing games, they would make mistakes, but they would give you a good call of the game. Not like other cities where the color guy is an obnoxious idiot screaming and yelling.

If I was PBP guy Bob Socci, I would have choked Zolak to death with piano wire for stomping on my call.

Not seeing what the big deal is. It's a local call for the home team's radio broadcast. Are these guys supposed to sit back and act nonchalant about it? It's like people complaining about Jack Edwards being a homer or Tommy Heinson being a hack because he clearly bleeds green. So what? It's not like they're supposed to be objective and impartial. They work for the freaking team. Of course they have a vested interest in seeing the Pats win. :laugh:

Bi Coastal Bawse*

That call was awesome since it was pure emotion and not robotic.

WHERES THE BEEF??!!?!?

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Not seeing what the big deal is. It's a local call for the home team's radio broadcast. Are these guys supposed to sit back and act nonchalant about it? It's like people complaining about Jack Edwards being a homer or Tommy Heinson being a hack because he clearly bleeds green. So what? It's not like they're supposed to be objective and impartial. They work for the freaking team. Of course they have a vested interest in seeing the Pats win. :laugh:

Hey thanks for the false choice, as if there are only two options: to be an obnoxious homer with brain damage or sit there quietly.

Here's an idea: Let the PBP guy actually do the call. You're the color guy, tell me why the play worked. THE GAME IS ON RADIO! And he's just spewing absolute nonsense based on inside jokes with people he works with. Nobody cares, Zolak! Nobody freaking cares!

On Toucher and Rich this morning, they said 95% of the reaction to it was positive from their listeners which tells me everything I need to know about how idiotic the average T+R listener is.

Edwards and Heinsohn work on TV. You can SEE what is happening so when they go off it matters a lot less. Zolak is doing a radio broadcast and just yells nonsense to feed his massively inflated ego. Just shut up.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hey thanks for the false choice, as if there are only two options: to be an obnoxious homer with brain damage or sit there quietly.

Here's an idea: Let the PBP guy actually do the call. You're the color guy, tell me why the play worked. THE GAME IS ON RADIO! And he's just spewing absolute nonsense based on inside jokes with people he works with. Nobody cares, Zolak! Nobody freaking cares!

On Toucher and Rich this morning, they said 95% of the reaction to it was positive from their listeners which tells me everything I need to know about how idiotic the average T+R listener is.

Edwards and Heinsohn work on TV. You can SEE what is happening so when they go off it matters a lot less. Zolak is doing a radio broadcast and just yells nonsense to feed his massively inflated ego. Just shut up.

Wow. I guess a local guy isn't allowed to show any emotion. Ever. Your post tells me everything I need to know about you. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of Zolak's, but his call doesn't bother me.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Wow. I guess a local guy isn't allowed to show any emotion. Ever. Your post tells me everything I need to know about you. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of Zolak's, but his call doesn't bother me.

IT'S NOT HIS CALL! HE'S THE COLOR GUY! WHY IS ZOLAK STOMPING ON THE CALL OF THE PBP GUY?

Compare it with Dave O'Brien's calls the same night of the Ortiz HR and the Salty walkoff. Definite excitement in his voice. HE'S THE PBP GUY! Did anyone say "Gee, I wish Lou Merloni jumped in and ranted about unicorns and cheeseburgers!"

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Or maybe he was just you know...excited in the heat of an exciting moment? Pretty sure I was yelling non-sense too when it happened. Zero problem with any of this whatsoever.

Socci called the play, and yeah Zolak yelled over him for a second, but once Socci finished calling the actual play, that's when the bulk of Zolak's nonsense yelling started.

Who cares who's "call" it is. it's a l;ocal radio broadcast, it's not a national thing on TV or something. It's for the fans, and I'm pretty sure Zo' nailed how everyone was feeling.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Or maybe he was just you know...excited in the heat of an exciting moment? Pretty sure I was yelling non-sense too when it happened. Zero problem with any of this whatsoever.

You are not broadcasting the game as the color guy, who needs to shut the hell up and not stomp all over the PBP guy. There should be a difference between the drunken fat yahoo in the stands and the guy broadcasting the game, even on a local level.

When Jack Edwards does it, at least there it some thought to it. There is clearly a difference. And Zolak was also the guy declaring the game "over" before the 2 minute warning, so let's allow him to scream and yell like a child because it's "fun" :shakehead

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
IT'S NOT HIS CALL! HE'S THE COLOR GUY! WHY IS ZOLAK STOMPING ON THE CALL OF THE PBP GUY?

Compare it with Dave O'Brien's calls the same night of the Ortiz HR and the Salty walkoff. Definite excitement in his voice. HE'S THE PBP GUY! Did anyone say "Gee, I wish Lou Merloni jumped in and ranted about unicorns and cheeseburgers!"

Again, you're expecting way too much from a local freaking broadcast. If it were a national game called by neutral people in the booth, you'd have a point. It wasn't. It was a local call FFS, give them some slack.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Again, you're expecting way too much from a local freaking broadcast. If it were a national game called by neutral people in the booth, you'd have a point. It wasn't. It was a local call FFS, give them some slack.

Gil and Gino would have never pulled that crap. And I don't recall people complaining about their calls in big spots.

Speaking of local broadcasts: When Horton scored in OT game 7 vs Montreal in 2011, did Bob Beers jump in and start yelling about unicorns? No, he shut up and let Goucher make his call (a great one as usual).

Grande and Max: Max yells stuff, but at least he lets Grande finish what he's trying to say before he goes into the "Quack Quack" bit.

Question: On Bruins games, would you rather have Bob Beers or some screaming idiot?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I don't think his point is that they freaked out, just that you let the PBP guy make the actual call first.

I agree, but I am not worked up about it.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Gil and Gino would have never pulled that crap. And I don't recall people complaining about their calls in big spots.

Speaking of local broadcasts: When Horton scored in OT game 7 vs Montreal in 2011, did Bob Beers jump in and start yelling about unicorns? No, he shut up and let Goucher make his call (a great one as usual).

Grande and Max: Max yells stuff, but at least he lets Grande finish what he's trying to say before he goes into the "Quack Quack" bit.

Question: On Bruins games, would you rather have Bob Beers or some screaming idiot?

Max always talks over Grande. There is the infamous "I got the ball!" line when Grande was doing his speech after they won the title.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

This is exactly how I feel. The point of the LOCAL boradcast, is for fans of the LOCAL team. Zolak, as much of a dink as he is, was as excited as everyone else about what just occured, and his yelling was exactly what I'd assume everyone else was doing. I really fail to see what the problem is here.

On the other hand, you have Joe Buck calling the Red Sox game tghat night, and his call of Ortiz's grand slam was about what you'd expect from a neutral PBP guy on a national stage. "Ortiz...fly ball....TIE GAME!" which is perfectly acceptable in terms of excitment, but showing neutrality.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Max always talks over Grande. There is the infamous "I got the ball!" line when Grande was doing his speech after they won the title.

Yeah that's true. Of course nobody will be listening to them until about 2022 so no one will know for a while. I'll check in for that one quarter where Grande does the game with Jim Ross in Oklahoma City.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

As does Tommy Heinson on the TV broadcast to Mike Gorman. It's a local team. There are no rules about stepping on the PBP guys toes. The only people who get bent out of shape over this type of thing are fans of the opposing team. Guess what? The home call isn't for you. Of course you're going to dislike it. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is exactly how I feel. The point of the LOCAL boradcast, is for fans of the LOCAL team. Zolak, as much of a dink as he is, was as excited as everyone else about what just occured, and his yelling was exactly what I'd assume everyone else was doing. I really fail to see what the problem is here.

On the other hand, you have Joe Buck calling the Red Sox game tghat night, and his call of Ortiz's grand slam was about what you'd expect from a neutral PBP guy on a national stage. "Ortiz...fly ball....TIE GAME!" which is perfectly acceptable in terms of excitment, but showing neutrality.

I find the national guys like Buck to be insufferable. They go so far out of their way to be neutral that it takes any spontaneity and excitement out of their calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad